Just Been Denied A Homebirth

RiverSong

Reaction score
I had a c section with my first baby due to breech presentation, that was 1yr 2 months ish ago.

So after getting everything sorted with the home midwife. The registrar at hospital just spent half a hour putting me off. After a bit of verbal sparring she said ' look at it this way. If you homebirth you're going to make everyone nervous and stressed. Of course if you REALLY REALLY insist we will send someone, but you'll have a nervous mw.'

Then i mentioned being afraid of being immmobile in hospital. She said 'of course you will be. We will need to hook you up to xyz machine to monitor for scar rupture' so they wont entertain a waterbirth either. She promptly left the room calling 'good luck' behind her.

Has anyone else had this? The homebirth midwife actually seemed fine when we met and although she mentioned the risks it didnt seem to concern her much, if at all? Infact she made a point of boasting about a vbac shed recently been to at home? :shrug:

id go on the word of the homebirth mw rather than the consultant, remember you consultant deals with high risk cases an unless there were undue complications with your c-section a hbac isnt a high risk case,

i read recently theres more chance of a cord prolapse in any labor than a scar rupture of the first vbac so really no need for monitors etc.....

She sounds awful! Maybe a vbac is out of her comfort zone, but why is it ok for her to insist that you come out of yours when it is your birth, your body and your baby? I personally would go with the MW too. If there are any concerns in labour, you can be transferred in an emergency. I can't see that a MW would be stressed out if they are experienced in vbac :shrug:

That was really unfair of the registra!

Personally i would completely ignore her and go ahead with the HB. Only a truly terrible MW would be nervous at a homebirth

GRRRRR!!! Yes, because making everyone around you comfortable during YOUR labor is your top priority. WTF is wrong with that doctor! I would listen to my MW.

Where are you hun? I know things in the US are different but in the UK there is no such thing as not being allowed.

You can choose to birth how and where you want.

I had incredibly supportive MW's but the OB was horrid, such a scaremonger he said hmmm well we'll speak about it again at 34 weeks after realizing what he said didnt put me off. I didnt see him at 34 weeks, asshole, my pregnancy was uncomplicated so why see him?

She wasnrt the most tactile i have to say lol. I did feel she just wanted to be out of there asap. I'm going to ring my homebirth mw and talk to her again before i make my decision. As stated above a competant midwife should be able to stay calm and not stress. I meanits not like my hb request is out of the blue and i have said all along, if necessary i am happy to go with the Mw decision to go to hospital, im not being sticky and blinkering myself. Grrr medical professionals!!! Xx

what an arrogant arse she is!

Put your foot down if its what you want hun, if the Home mw was happy to go ahead then why not :hugs:x

To the consultant >>>>>> :ignore: you may have a nervous consultant and they LOVE to control things and practice defensively but I doubt from what you said youd have a nervous MW....they're the experts in normal.

Yeah im ignoring her until i have spoken to the midwife again. I have to say, first time round as soon as i mentioned homebirth my gp wigged out too. He scared me though rather than guilted me, he listed everything that could go wrong. Being a first timer, of course i was niave and scared out of it.( before we knew lo was breech) xx

Yeah im ignoring her until i have spoken to the midwife again. I have to say, first time round as soon as i mentioned homebirth my gp wigged out too. He scared me though rather than guilted me, he listed everything that could go wrong. Being a first timer, of course i was niave and scared out of it.( before we knew lo was breech) xx

Ask for a list of everything that can go wrong at the hospital. It's a long scary list as well. :dohh:

Ask for a list of everything that can go wrong at the hospital. It's a long scary list as well. :dohh:

to me the list of hosptial "possible going wrong" senarios is much scarier than the HB list. my MW and consultant are still unaware as to my plans and will be i guess till they next see me for the consultant thats September at 30wks after my GTT and the MW i could not see till 36wks lol caus im booked to see the GP at 24 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->