Just curious

BigZai

Reaction score
Ok so im going to college, i am a single parent with an 8month old(i know this is the kids section just stay with me) i am going to have my BA in science/bio and I will have my degree in teaching. My son will be 4-5 when i am done. I would be working while he is in school and be home when he is
Heres my question do you think it is possible to be a single working mother with a 5 year old and go to college for another four years?
Is it unfair to him to be working and going to school when theres no real reason for me to got to school except to become a vet?

I want to be a large animal vet but i had a kid young and i dont have 8 years to go to college without a career. So i can get my BA in science and become a teacher in 4 years so i can support him then i could go back and become a vet.
I just dont know if it would be unfair to him when i dont NEED to be a vet i dont NEED to go back to school
Should i just forget it and be happy with becoming a teacher

I say to each their own! There's no reason you have to give up on your goals as long as you have enough hours in the day! You certainly have a long road ahead of you, but I admire your drive and motivation.

I say to each their own! There's no reason you have to give up on your goals as long as you have enough hours in the day! You certainly have a long road ahead of you, but I admire your drive and motivation.

I would just say that ill figure it out later but whatever i do effects what classes ill take

I don't think it's wrong of you to want to pursue additional education. It will be a lot of work. I want to go to grad school once I finish my BA in the fall. But I'll be working full time once I graduate. So I plan on taking a year or two or just working to get back into the swing of things work wise and then if it's something I feel I can cope with I hope to continue my education part time. Would part-time school be an option for you? It will take longer but will give you more time with the LO. If you feel like you can do it then go for it!

I had my son at 20 while I was in college. My original plan was to get my masters, probably my PHd - in mathematics. And then be a college professor or work in some sort of practical lab furthering the field of science/mathematics. (I'm a big dork, I know).
I got my BS when my son was 2 and went right into the work force. I don't regret my decision. I have a fabulous job and I do make good money. But I reminisce a lot and often wonder about what could have been and what I could have done. I was always at the top of all my college math classes. It was so easy for me. I always wanted to see how far I could go. I wanted to test my limits and never got to. I do think that someday I'll go back to school. Maybe not with a degree in mind, but to refresh my skills and for fun and to finally test my limits.

I work 40-45hr weeks now. And I feel like I barely have any time for my kids. I honestly cannot imagine that I'd have had any less time with them if I were working part-time while going to school. The big difference is finances. We're financially independent and can afford certain luxuries - new clothes/toys, brand name food, Netflix, running the AC. When in school I was living on loans and money was very tight. But really, my son never noticed that he had hand-me-down clothes and toys. Young kids are pretty oblivious to things like that especially if that's the way it's always been. You'll be more sensitive to financial short-cuts than he is.

Do what you think is right. If you continue with school, sure the next couple years will be harder - on you. But you're not doing your child a disservice. Either way you will love and care for him. And it will all pay off in the end.

And you have more choices than go to school or not go to school. You could get a job teaching and take 1 class at time - night, weekend or online.

Another thing to consider.... what happens if you meet a guy? I'm not saying this should be your goal - being a single mom is great even if it is tough. But who knows. You could be married 3 years from now to a guy who's able to support the bunch of you. You could be a stay-at-home mom and full-time student. I realize this isn't something you can strictly count on, but just keep in mind there are a lot of avenues your life could take and they can all end up at "happily ever after".

I had my son at 20 while I was in college. My original plan was to get my masters, probably my PHd - in mathematics. And then be a college professor or work in some sort of practical lab furthering the field of science/mathematics. (I'm a big dork, I know).
I got my BS when my son was 2 and went right into the work force. I don't regret my decision. I have a fabulous job and I do make good money. But I reminisce a lot and often wonder about what could have been and what I could have done. I was always at the top of all my college math classes. It was so easy for me. I always wanted to see how far I could go. I wanted to test my limits and never got to. I do think that someday I'll go back to school. Maybe not with a degree in mind, but to refresh my skills and for fun and to finally test my limits.

I work 40-45hr weeks now. And I feel like I barely have any time for my kids. I honestly cannot imagine that I'd have had any less time with them if I were working part-time while going to school. The big difference is finances. We're financially independent and can afford certain luxuries - new clothes/toys, brand name food, Netflix, running the AC. When in school I was living on loans and money was very tight. But really, my son never noticed that he had hand-me-down clothes and toys. Young kids are pretty oblivious to things like that especially if that's the way it's always been. You'll be more sensitive to financial short-cuts than he is.

Do what you think is right. If you continue with school, sure the next couple years will be harder - on you. But you're not doing your child a disservice. Either way you will love and care for him. And it will all pay off in the end.

And you have more choices than go to school or not go to school. You could get a job teaching and take 1 class at time - night, weekend or online.

Another thing to consider.... what happens if you meet a guy? I'm not saying this should be your goal - being a single mom is great even if it is tough. But who knows. You could be married 3 years from now to a guy who's able to support the bunch of you. You could be a stay-at-home mom and full-time student. I realize this isn't something you can strictly count on, but just keep in mind there are a lot of avenues your life could take and they can all end up at "happily ever after".

Thanks for your response. I would rather be financially independent and more school loans wont help that. Maybe ill get lucky and find a farmer lol.

How old are you now? Seems a long winded way of going in to veterinary... If you did get on to a vet course would you have to relocate from where you are? I am presuming you are uk. The only thing I would say is that large animal work is going to be long hours, and out of hours... Who is going to care for your child over night if you. Have to go lambing/calving etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->