Just found out I'm a Thalassemia carrier :(

Yammas

Reaction score
So as the title suggests I got the results of my blood test back today they thought I might be a sickle cell carrier but it turned out to be this instead just wondered if anyone had any personal experience of it and could shed a bit more light on the condition as I'd never heard of it until today and just googled it (I know worst thing to do :dohh:) and now I've scared myself silly at the prospect of passing it on to my future children :cry:

When I had my bloods at my very first midwife appt, my results came back as being a possible carrier of alpha thalassemia. No one could really tell me anything about it, I phoned the doctors and the nurse I spoke to googled it as I was on the phone to her :dohh:
My midwife did say I would have been offered genetic testing (along with my oh) if there were any concerns but that didn't stop me reading about it and worrying.
Sorry I couldn't really help much but I'm sure you will be sent for further testing if there are any concerns :hugs:

Thanks for your reply my doctor did the same when I asked him what it was lol!!!

Yh they said that I'll be sent for genetic councelling so they can give me more info about it then just cant help worrying about it though, just hope OH isnt a carrier as well.

My friend & two of her kids are carriers. Other than being a bit anemic, they live a very normal life with no health problems. They take folic acid to enhance iron absorption.

Your OH needs to test before TTC. If he's a carrier, there is 50% chance of having a baby with Thalassemia major which is serious. My ex-manager's daughter had Thalassemia major & she needed special medications, then she went for bone marrow transplant at the age of 5 years. Her sister who's a Thalassemia carrier donated the bone marrow. Now she's 15 yrs, she's a carrier like her sister & she lives a normal life with no complications.

If your OH is not a carrier, there is nothing to worry about hun, Thalassemia carriers dont have health issues other than low iron in blood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->