Just got off BCP

Johnsa37

Reaction score
I stopped taking birth control last week (when AF came) and I am now on CD10. I just started using OPKs. I took my first one yesterday, and it came up with a decent line - but definitely not positive yet.

Is this a "good sign" that a second line came up at all, or does it not mean anything? I am just wondering how my body is reacting now that I am off of birth control. I am mainly worried about having really long cycles or not ovulating at all. Does the fact that a second line came up on CD9 tell me anything at all? Or would I get a faint second line regardless of where I am in my cycle or whether I am on BCP?

Hi there! In my experience the lines vary from woman to woman. Some get a straightforward fade to darken pattern while others get a fade-in, fade-out pattern. Unfortunately it takes a few cycles to figure out which is true for you. I think a more accurate way of determining weather you ovulate (although it is more tedious) is to temp so that you get a better idea of whats going on.

Hi there! In my experience the lines vary from woman to woman. Some get a straightforward fade to darken pattern while others get a fade-in, fade-out pattern. Unfortunately it takes a few cycles to figure out which is true for you. I think a more accurate way of determining weather you ovulate (although it is more tedious) is to temp so that you get a better idea of whats going on.

Thank you! I have a varied sleep schedule right now, so I wouldn't be able to temp at the same time each day. I will definitely keep that in mind though. Thank you!

Pjmm is right. We always have some LH in our bodies (even men do, ask your DH to use one and you'll see ;)).

I got off BCP in November and I think I ovulated every cycle since. The reason why I'm saying "think" is because I stopped using OPK's too soon in my first cycle off BCP's. I thought that if they weren't getting positive by day 16, I should just quit and assume I wouldn't ovulate that cycle. I didn't know yet about other fertility signs such as paying attention to your CM, and I used a crappy thermometer to measure my temps.

Next cycle I got a positive OPK on CD21, and O was confirmed (by taking temps) at CD 23. The cycle after that it was positive at CD 19, and this cycle CD 16. So I definitely think that my cycles are normalizing after a couple of months off BCP's.

Just keep using 'em until the test line is as dark, or darker than the control band. It may take a while though! For others, it may be the opposite. Every one is different and there's really no telling how your body reacts to the lack of exogenous hormones.

Good luck!!

Pjmm is right. We always have some LH in our bodies (even men do, ask your DH to use one and you'll see ;)).

I got off BCP in November and I think I ovulated every cycle since. The reason why I'm saying "think" is because I stopped using OPK's too soon in my first cycle off BCP's. I thought that if they weren't getting positive by day 16, I should just quit and assume I wouldn't ovulate that cycle. I didn't know yet about other fertility signs such as paying attention to your CM, and I used a crappy thermometer to measure my temps.

Next cycle I got a positive OPK on CD21, and O was confirmed (by taking temps) at CD 23. The cycle after that it was positive at CD 19, and this cycle CD 16. So I definitely think that my cycles are normalizing after a couple of months off BCP's.

Just keep using 'em until the test line is as dark, or darker than the control band. It may take a while though! For others, it may be the opposite. Every one is different and there's really no telling how your body reacts to the lack of exogenous hormones.

Good luck!!

Thank you for responding - I appreciate your input and sharing your experience. I got pregnant with my 1st DS the very first cycle after quitting BCP (after 12 years). I am hopeful that my body will figure it out!

This cycle I have finally seen what a true positive OPK looks like. It used to be that every time it got sorta dark I'd get super excited, but then it would get lighter again. Now I know that sorta dark doesn't equal positive. I could take an OPK at any time of the month and it'll always have a faint test line.

I was on the depo for 2 years and then switched to the pill for a year. It took about a couple months to have a true period, but it could be sooner for you. So don't get discouraged! Everyone is different. It'll happen for you! Just keep testing! Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->