Just miserable where I live: rant

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
I live in a big city in the southern central US. It's hot, humid, polluted, and seems to completely lack local/organic businesses and small-scale culture. It's all restaurant chains, car chains, grocery chains, strip malls, ugh ugh ugh! It's also a car culture which goes against my social beliefs--I believe in small scale, local everything. I support farmer's markets, fair trade, organic, sustainable communities. I want to be able to walk out my front door and get to shops, coffee, food, and markets. I want to know local business owners. Here, you have to DRIVE 15 minutes to get to anything, and it's likely to be a huge chain of some kind.

DH and I fight constantly about this. He loves this area because he grew up here. I think it's absolutely horrible. I fought tooth and nail for us to move somewhere else, but he won and so here we are. It's been 2 weeks, and I'm trying to make the best of it but it's everything I thought it was--a hot, muggy, cultureless car-air-conditioning-addicted place.

Can anyone help me think through this differently, or provide any personal stories about similar situations and how they turned out?

Thanks!

Hi,
Although I am in the uk, I feel like I'm living in our equivalent!

I hate it too. We are planning on moving as soon as my partner gets a new job elsewhere. I want countryside and a big garden! Currently live in a densely populated area, I just can't wait to move!

I would give it a little longer than 2 weeks to form a real opinion.

Is there nowhere near you could that would be a happy medium?
Xx

Maybe, give it time- if not for you, but so you can at least tell OH you gave it a go! Maybe even 6mos- I know that prob seems forEVER... but it will go fast, then you and OH can have a good sit down talk about compromise. You should both be happy where you live- as it's such a big part of your daily lives. When my hubby and I moved, he mentioned a few times an area (farther out) than I orignally wanted... tbh, I'd love to live where I can walk out my front door and be within walking distance of shops/restaurants etc... BUT, where we live, the cost for that lifestyle is HIGH. I eventually caved and looked at a house in the area he suggested- it's a lovely area, again, just farther from the city than I'd have ideally liked. But I ended up loving the house- and we can drive to many places (close by- like within a mile or two)-- and I can walk to them as well, just a bit of a longer walk. haha.

It ended up being a good move for use both- he drives much farther for work, but the area was his ideal- well, he'd have moved even farther out (if I'd agreed!)- as he would love NO neighbors and lots of land... but that was not an option for me, so this was a good compromise for us both. Sorry for the tangent- it does suck you hate where you live so much. And your OH should take that into consideration for sure! I'm sure you can find a compromise- just maybe tell OH you'll give it 3 or 6mos- and if you still hate it, then you both need to find a middle ground... ? Least he'll see your giving it a chance, and hopefully be more open to change at that point. I can't imagine he'd want you to be miserable.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"