Just not interested in milk at all!

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi everyone, well ever since we got our LO home i've posted on here regarding my LO's milk intake and poor weight gain, we've explored the possibility of silent reflux and had the associated medication, we've looked into a milk intolerance and many other avenues (none of which have made any real difference) and at the ripe old age of 6 1/2 months (actual) i think i can safely say that it just Erin and she is just a baby who is not really interested in milk! She takes what she needs to get by - has very slow weight gain (only 10lb 2oz at 6 months) but does gain, she has one terrible feed followed by a not so bad one and that just seems to be her! Was so stressed about it that i was practically trying to force her to drink - made things worse! I have started her on solids but its clear, from what i remember of weaning my son , that she's not ready, more food coming out of her mouth than going into her tummy! Her consultant has noted that she's still pretty small but at the last appointment said that he thinks she'll not be the biggest person on the planet - after all she's been through this is the least of our worries! She's a happy and content baby and is reaching her milestones - i think - babbling lots of noises, smiling and laughing, rolling over (although hates tummy time!), reaching for/holding/playing with toys. Would love to hear if anyone else has been stressed out by their LO in a similar way - you just expect babies to drink lots of milk!!! Am i right to just accept (finally) that she is just this way or should i be trying to explore other options? Thanks as always for any advice.

I would discuss with your Pediatrician about the possibility of either using a human milk fortifier to add to breast milk or supplement with formula.

Breast milk is nutrient rich, but calorie poor. Breast fed infants feed more often than formula fed babies.

Regular, "Bad feeds" are never normal and there is always a cause..it just requires proper investigation.

Pyloric stenosis, is one that comes to mind.

Milk lactose intolerance or a milk protein allergy is another.

If your Ped cannot find out what is wrong, find another Ped. Reflux or aspiration can be diagnosed by performing a swallow study...so it need not be a mystery.

Thanks for the reply. Should have added that my LO is on high cal milk with an added calorie booster so think that's the max they can give her. Had a look on google with regards to some of your thoughts and although worth looking into the symptoms don't really match - she's never really sick and stools are normal etc My consultant, although not much of a bedside manner, is actually pretty good and said that the reflux route is usually to try various meds, if no luck then try milk for intolerance so we have tried these things but just hasn't made the situation any better or worse. I know what you mean by 'bad feeds' not being normal but i think what's making me a bit calmer about the whole situation is that it has been normal for Erin, she's never taken v much and when adding up her daily total her consultant said its probably in keeping with her size, maybe slightly on the low side but she is still pretty small! Anyway will mention these things at next appointment, she put on 5oz in about 10 days so not great but not too shabby! Thanks again.

Molly was a baby that was just never 'into' milk. The average she would take was only 3/4 oz right up to weaning. We worrid so much about it and tried so many things, but she is fine. Obviously it's always best to check incase there is something wrong, but I regret spending so much time worrying about it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->