Just started blw, share ideas?

choc

Reaction score
I've just started blw and wondered if anyone was interested in sharing what they have offered their baby everyday? So we can give each other ideas?

Yesterday Austin was offered
B - weetabix, ate some but I made it a bit sloppy.
L - roasted butternut squash and some baked potato with cream cheese
D - fish pie which he seemed to have a reaction too, his face went red and blotchy where the food touched his skin. Broccoli he devoured, it's his favourite.

Anyone else want to share?

Following. We started traditional weaning and it didn't work well for us, we have tried the wee one with a few tastes of things and she likes most things. She prefers sucking on a solid than eating a puree!

Her favourite flavours are sweet potato, carrot and tomato. She had a bit avocado which she didn't really like. She likes banana!

In terms of BLW she isn't quite old enough (she is just shy of 5 months) so we are going to try batons of carrot, potato, sweet potato, avocado and toast, banana and toast, etc.

I think seafood is something that can cause an allergy so maybe keep an eye on it for a while.

My daughter is 3 now, so it's been a long time, but like you we started out with BLW at 6 months. I can tell you a few of the things we tried early on that were a great success.

For breakfast, I did weetabix, broken in half, and then just softened with a bit of milk, also porridge balls with apple puree and cinnamon. Toast fingers with mashed banana or mashed avocado was also good.

We did lots of stone fruit (it was summer), so nectarines, apricots and plums, cut in half with the stone removed. They were tasty and juicy and easy to pick up when a lot of smaller things were tough.

Bananas were also good as a fruit option. I would cut them into three pieces, so there was a good long piece that she could hold in her fist while she ate it.

For lunch, I often did toast or rice cakes with something spread on it, like avocado or hummus or cashew nutter. Also, pasta. At first, we had to just have it dry because she couldn't pick it up if I put sauce on it, but then I started to add in sauces, either tomato sauce or I made a butternut squash sauce. Veg in stick form was great too, sweet potato, carrot and parsnip "chips" roasted, and cucumber sticks too.

I also found this website really helpful for recipes: https://littlegrazers.com/

She struggled at first to pick up a lot of things so it took me awhile to figure out how to make our food easier for her to actually eat, so I found making a few special things for her made it easier. I think we made the carrot and coriander quinoa balls on there a lot, and also the feta and spinach muffins. She loved those! Actually, now that I think of it, she would probably still love them now and I should make some.

That was really what we did at 6 months. I only did breakfast and lunch, but started to add in dinner when she was 7.5 months, so then it got a lot more varied.

Thanks for those ideas. Mashed avocado on rice cakes has been a hit here. Also meatloaf from the blw cook book. We have had butternut squash soup too. He hasn't turned anything down yet!

My son is now 3 but we BLW and he lived and still loves this banana bread:https://blog.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/easy-banana-bread-for-baby/ (I love it too!)

Also egg bites, where you beat an egg and pour into little silicone muffin moulds with veg and cheese and sometimes ham and then bake. They always went/go down well.

Also egg bites, where you beat an egg and pour into little silicone muffin moulds with veg and cheese and sometimes ham and then bake. They always went/go down well.

I made these for myself the other day and actually said that they would be great for my wee one when we move onto proper finger foods!

When I started blw, Jacob are lots of stone fruits like pp said (it was summer) I think he ate a peach every day for breakfast, they were his favourite!
Toast, cheese, carrots, broccoli, pasta, chicken, plums, bananas, nectarines, peppers all cut up onto sticks were big hits at 6 months.
As he got a little older, I just gave him a bit of whatever I had :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->