Just when I thought I was getting somewhere

Jo-anne

Reaction score
After weeks of seeing Dr's, getting admitted to hospital and being sick after every feed.

Lewis has been given Baby gaviscon for reflux.

YAY - the Dr said he should hopeflly settle down now and sleep (please) even just through the day [-o<

Well after his first day on it - my wee man has sreamed and screamed with really bad wind .

I dont know what is worse the sickness or him screaming in pain with the trapped wind. :(

aaaawwww hunny this must be hard have u spoke to someone else i.e nhs direct is there anything else someone can do ???

i hated gavascon, it stopped Harley being sick but he seemed in so much pain with it.

drs dont do much for reflux :twisted:

my friends baby had it really bad and was crying none stop. after kicked off loads and spending nearly every day hounding the doc she got sent for tests. they put a tube down babies throut and see how bad the reflux is.
and gave her some medicine for the acid reflux that causes the pain. its a medicine used to treat adult ulcers, docs dont seem to give it out but i have read and heard from a few mothers whos doc gave them it and it changed their baby

Dior had acid relux and cryed soooo much.

one HV explained it to me in simple terms why she cryed so much.

the gullet has a valve at the bottom so food goes down then the vavle closes to keep the food down with babies and often in prems the vavle can be weak and under developted so it dont keep food down. and when the acid is all turning over in the belly sometimes it can come up the vavle and give really really bad pain like bad heart burn. :(

here is a post i read from another mum whos baby was having bad pains with relux.... ild mention the medicine to doc

tried gaviscon, but it never did anything for him apart from making him constipated, so he ended up in pain from that too as well as the reflux pain. i put my foot down with the GP and demanded they give him something for the pain (i can cope with the sick, as long as he's putting on weight - and he is a chunk so no problems there!)

he has now been on cimetidine since about 6-7 weeks old, and within 24 hours of going on it he was like a new baby! cimetidine is the medication they give to people with stomach ulcers. it reduces the amount of stomach acid that is produced - thereby eliminating the pain from the acid reflux. obviously with babies the dose is TINY compared to the adult dose. ruben is on 0.5ml 4 times a day. the GP prescribed it without any further tests, just by what i told her.

Aw hun, well on the good side at least the problem has been identified.
Its now a case of finding what works to sort it. I know in a another thread it was sugested to try giving im a rusk, I would really advise against this, as babies digestion is really not developed enough under 4 months to cope with solid food, and you could end up ding him harm, especially if he has reflux which could agrivate it even more.

I have read a lot about baby wearing apparently wearing a baby in an upright position so they are in a foetal position (bum down) is ment to really help with colic and reflux, as its easier on the digestion being upright instead of laying down, and also its comforting to be so close to mum. Perhaps this is worth you looking into?

Rusk is a major no no. Rebecca still has reflux, majorly, she has tried most things, but is back on gaviscon and suppositries! :roll:

Thanks Ladies for the replies - I feed him in a upright poisiton does not help to much at all.

He got his first jag today and he did not like it one bit - was fine now is screaming the place down.

Screaming again he is having some time of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->