kid throwing up too much?

notquite

*hopeful dreams*
Reaction score
This is sort of a weird question but I just don't know if this is normal, or if it's not (I don't think it is).

My husband's son is 6, we see him every other weekend. It seems to me that he throws up a LOT. Not because he is ill or has a stomach bug though. It is either because he is crying and snots too much then throws up, or he drinks liquid too fast then throws up, or he burps and it all comes up. I would say it happens at least once out of every 3-4 weekends we have him, and according to his older sister it happens a lot at home too.

Is that normal for a kid his age?? My only experience says no - I raised my ex's kid for almost 4 years and he only threw up maybe once or twice, when he was actually sick - never just because. And if it's not normal is there anything we could do to help him? Do you think it's a medical issue that needs attention or what? (Though my husband does not have medical authority in the situation and his ex wife wouldn't listen to his concerns anyway)

My son had reflux as a baby/toddler. When he was young (5 and under), he would throw up when he cried too hard, had a cold, etc. He finally outgrew the problem around kindergarten age. I think it's because his stomach valve was immature.

We never did anything to treat the projectile vomiting as a baby/toddler or the random throwing up as a preschooler. The doctor said he wasn't in pain, growing well and would outgrow the problem.

Some people are just sicky... and some are never sick! I wouldn't worry about that as it sounds like there is a reason each time. Perhaps try and encourage him to drink more slowly!

If he's staying with you, I don't see why you couldn't take him to the doctor if you wanted some reassurance. Presumably you couldn't get him referred for tests or anything but a general check up should be fine... what would happen if he had an accident or was ill? I assume you'd take him to the hospital and not have to get his mum to take him!

I hope he grows out of it!

And yes of course we'd take him to the hospital if needed :) my husband is the noncustodial parent though, so things do get complicated when it comes to decisions about medical care.

Custodial rights are different than legal rights. If he has visitation, chances are he and the mother share legal rights - which include the right to make medical decisions for a child. If dad chooses to bring him in that's likely absolutely his right, he just has to notify mom that he's doing so (and she would need to do the same in the event she brought him in).

She doesn't have to agree with your concern or reasoning. If you guys feel that the issue may warrant medical intervention absolutely bring him in!

My guess would be that he simply has a strong gag reflex. Post nasal drip, crying too much, eating certain foods or even anxiety can trigger a sensitive gag reflex and there's not much you can do for it. He is old enough to try to make it to the bathroom though, and I would gently encourage him to do so if he felt an episode coming on so there is less mess to deal with. I'd make sure there is no negativity or shaming going on when it happens because it seems to be something out of his control (and get on the same page with mom about that). That could definitely make it worse.

It's an uncommon issue, but not by any means abnormal if that makes sense.

If that's what's up he will grow out of it eventually.

My LO spit up a LOT as a baby and would throw up when she got really upset or crammed too much food into her mouth (she has a sensative gag reflex- no reflux)-- only outgrew it closer to a year. But still, even for a while after that if she got too worked up she would throw up. Obviously all kids vary and some may just be more "sensative" to certain things, even as they grow...

I can't imagine it would be an issue to take him to the doctor (if only for reassurance all is Ok). If that is not something his bio-mom has already done? Although it may not be common in general, it could just be how he is and normal for him, and something he'll eventually grow out of?

:-D My parents tell that when I was 4-6 I used to throw away any toy I got .. even if it was a car it would go up like a plane..

Noahjeff, we are talking about him getting sick to his stomach, not throwing toys.

It happened again tonight at dinner. I am going to encourage DH to share our concern with his ex. Though she will generally do the exact opposite of whatever he says, just to spite him.

Also I did some more research into his rrights as the legally non-custodial parent, and he does NOT have the rights to make medical decisions. If something happened while he was with us we would obviously take him for medical care, but the mother would have to be contacted if any consent was necessary. The only thing he has the rights for is to see the medical records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->