Kids sharing a room & bed sizes

2ndprincess

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to have my 2nd baby, another girl. There will be a 3 1/4 year age gap. Baby will be in my room for a year or so and will eventually share the bedroom with her sister. What I'm wondering is what type of bed she will sleep in once we get rid of the crib.

My toddler sleeps in a full bed. The room is a good size but way too small for 2 fulls. Is it unfair for one child to have a full and the other to have a twin? One option is to get rid of the full and relace with 2 twins, but I love having a full for when my DD is sick or having trouble sleeping. It's so much easier for me or DH to lie with her comfortably in that bed. I can see it being useful to have a full while we have little ones.

The full has a 10 year warranty so we'll have it for a while. IDK at what age the jealousy starts but I do want to keep things fair and avoid issues before it comes to that.

WDYT?

Want to add: I considered those bunk beds that have a twin over a larger bed but DH is against bunk beds. He's worried about accidents

What is a full bed? Most kids have single/twin beds.

Our 3 yr old sleeps on the bottom bunk and his sister sleeps on the top.
I dont know what to suggest ifbunks are no good and you cant fit anything else in.

We have shorty bunks, but my dd's are 7 and 2 so safe ages for bunks.
Prior to this dd2 had a single and dd3 in a fairly large cot bed. Still had plenty of room with wardrobe and chest of drawers and it's not a very big room.
Jealousy shouldn't be an issue if your eldest has a larger bed, that's the benefit of being older and sharing a room.

My 3.5 year old has a twin loft bed and my 18 month old has a toddler bed. Will upgrade to another twin when she is old enough... At the moment they share a room... With the twin and toddler bed there is enough room... But I couldn't imagine a full bed and a twin... I think your best bet is to either get two twin beds or a bunk bed where the bottom is a full and the top is a twin so you can still keep your full sized mattresses and save a little money by doing so.

Would it be crazy for the girls to share the full bed? At what age would it not be ok anymore?

Not crazy, but it really depends how good they both are as sleepers. I guess your eldest will be getting ready for school at that time and having to get used to sharing a bed with a (probably very wriggly) toddler is going to be tiring for her. I think there's probably more potential for jealousy if the younger one is moving into a bed she already sees as her own.

Not crazy, but it really depends how good they both are as sleepers. I guess your eldest will be getting ready for school at that time and having to get used to sharing a bed with a (probably very wriggly) toddler is going to be tiring for her. I think there's probably more potential for jealousy if the younger one is moving into a bed she already sees as her own.

Hmm good point

I really would do a twin for younger and leave older in her bed. If you give little one the full so it is easier for you I think that is asking for jealousy issues. I would add a twin a while before you plan to have younger sleep in there so older gets used to it.

If you see your situation possibly changing to bigger house I would buy a cheap twin that way you could upgrade to a full so there is not the life long she was loved more/had bigger bed....drama:p
Growing up us 3 kids had twins and Mom and Dad had a full.

ide go for bunk beds once the youngest is out of her cot/cot bed...

assuming she wont be out of that until say 2.5 years this means the eldest will be old enough for a top bunk IMO.

my 3yr old will hapilly sleep in a mid sleeper & manages the ladder fine. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->