Kind of frustrated..

KayeChay

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

This is my first time posting a new thread otherwise, I come on here just to read everyone's else thread.

Anyways, I went to the doctors today and had a pap smear. Well, I didn't want to be put on BC because DH and I have been TTC for a while. I told her that I had stopped my BC in January and that was the last time I had my period. I'm VERY, VERY irregular. I've always been irregular! Last year, we were TTC but not to seriously though (if that makes sense) because I was still on BC half that year (Ok, so basically I was on BC and then stopped and then went back on it and then officially stopped in January).
She said that she couldn't do anything until we have tried for a year! A year?! I have read that online before that couples should at least try a year before getting any treatment but that's the thing though... I'm not like most woman that gets her menstrual cycle every month (when I say irregular, I mean 2 or few in a year, and honestly I'm lucky if I even get any)! So technically we've been "TTC for four months".
I feel like we'll be wasting time TTC because I'm probably not ovulating. but I guess I'll have to come back early next year and demand for some help (that's the idea lol:)

Sorry ladies, that this may seem like a rant... which it is lol

Anyways, thanks for reading this. If your anything like me I'd love to hear from you and if you have any input please say something!

I know what you mean :( it can take a year for birth control to totally leave your system so they wont do anything until then. I came off the implant on April 17last year. My cycles since then have been 134days, 52 days, 45 days, 23 days, 21, 23, 23, 23, 20 and now so far im on cd15 without ovulation yet :( and its now been a year and 4 days since I had it removed.

My gp took a blood test in march though and said my hormones are fine but because I have a daughter already im not entitled to free fertility treatment on the nhs :( so there's nothing I can do anyway :(

It may be worth looking into herbal remedies though :) vitex can make a huge difference for some people, and if you want to induce your period, dong quai is fantastic. There are a few others people take, but vitex is the main one :)

Good luck, I hope things work out soon for you.

I think they say to wait a year before seeking medical help because it can take a healthy couple with no fertility issues up to a year to get pregnant. Imagine if there was no "come back in a year' every month the office would be flooded with women demanding tests because they think they have fertility issues, when the real issue is just that this can take some time..unfortunately. The OH and I seem to be healthy (no issues that we know of) and I know I ovulate because I temp, but we are heading into our 7th month TTC.

I HIGHLY - HIGHLY recommend that you start tracking your BBT and tracking everything on FF. You could be ovulating, you just don't know. Taking your temp every morning is the only way to 100% confirm that you are (or are not). When/if you go to the Dr. with this information it will help pinpoint a problem (if there is one at all).

A year is what I thought they told someone with "normal" cycles, unless you're 35, then you get the shit scared out of you if you're not pregnant in 6 months ;) (I say this as I just turned 35 and my dr freaked me out).
Have you tried OPK's? I like clearblue easy digital displaying the 2 most fertile days. That should help you know if you're ovulating, however your period or lack of seems like a pretty good indicator that you're not.
I think you should change dr's. Is that possible? It seems like they should be testing all your hormones/levels but from my experience they don't like to order the blood work unless you've tried for 6 months or a year OR there is a problem. They should be able to tell if you're ovulating and if you're not, no worries, there are meds for that.
I actually started ttc because I had spotting 3 times mid cycle, which never happened before to me. My dr said no big deal, I prob just wasn't ovulating. He seemed like it didn't matter but I got nervous and said I want to ovulate and make sure I'm functioning like I should be. He told me to use the opk's and did some blood work. I asked to consult with a different dr, coincidentally when I just turned 35 and that dr's tone totally changed into panic mode. Now I'm being tested like crazy and I do ovulate (maybe I didn't for a few months and my body righted itself).
Have you always been irregular or only after getting off bc?

My advice is to try a second doctor. The truth is that is an old standard, the wait a year advice. And a doctor with more recent and a greater interest in fertility issues will react differently. You shouldn't have to wait a year if you present with known issues.

Thank you ladies for your comments.
I think I might switch GP but after today I'm feeling down and frustrated that it's going to take me a while to even switch.. After the doctors appointment today I just sat in my car and cried (I know pretty pathetic).

@beachyfeelin I will probably start tracking my BBT (I have a feeling that it won't do me any good, but I can bring my info to my doc the next time I'm there) plus, she said I could be ovulating and I just don't know it AND that not having a period doesn't mean I'm not ovulating (unless she was just telling me that to make feel better...)

@wantaminime Yes, always have been irregular.

I'm 25 now, will be 26 next month... is it just me or does it feel like times a wasting when TTCing?!

It is to my understanding that if you definitely ovulated you WILL have a period unless of course you are pregnant. The lining that a uterus builds up during ovulation just doesn't go away but has to be shed. Now you can have a period and not ovulate (been there:wacko:) which is called breakthrough bleeding.

If you are 35 and MAYBE ovulating a few times a year you need to move on to a doctor who is on the same page as you...preferably a reproductive endocrinologist. I got the same line from my obgyn and GP and it cost me a lot of time. I will be 38 when we finally have our first which I am eternally grateful for but now having a second child will be a bit more of a challenge! As beachy said start being proactive in the meantime...I also had super long irregular cycles and what worked for me was vitex, progesterone cream, and charting w/opks. Find what works for you and find a doctor who will support you now.

Hi There! I am actually in a somewhat similar boat but don't have alot of advice to offer- just my personal experience. I stopped BC in december and haven't had a period since then. I was fairly regular from what I remember previous to bc. I went to my regular gyn, as we are planning on TTC within the next few months, and she said that ovulation and period go hand in hand.. so with no period I am not ovulating. She also told me my BMI was low, however this is just how I am built no diet or crazy gym workouts and I have had periods in the past. She told me to get in contact with an obgyn ( which I am seeing in 2weeks at his soonest appointment) but that she predicts once they rule out thyroid( which has been ruled out by my primary) that he will more than likely prescribe something to " kick start" my cycle a progesterone? ( I am not totally sure) and a round of clomid. I will keep you posted and wish you luck . I am 27 and ttc baby # 1 as well! Same frustrating boat- I hate that feeling of hurry up and wait xhugsx

Can I just say! If you are in the UK, unless you pay privately, no doctor will look any further until the year has passed. I have a fantastic GP who has been more than helpful at every turn, and she couldnt do anything until we were nearing a year. It's how the NHS operates. I've also been told that unless I am willing to pay privately, I am not entitled to any fertility treatments because I already have a child. Again, it's how the NHS works.

I know it's terrible and really difficult to have to wait :( but you could be ovulating even without a period -it is possible!

also if you have been on birth control for a long time, that can affect your periods - I had none whatsoever on the implant! So there's no way for a doctor to verify whether or not the irregularity is due to birth control or something else.

by all means pay for it to be looked into privately if you can afford it! But unless you have other issues with your GP, it's probably not worth changing - as any other NHS GP will tell you the same thing.

good luck :flower:

That really sucks. Definitely start tracking your BBT and using OPKs if you can. And if you can find a different doctor who wants to help you then I think you should. You shouldn't have to wait a year if you're not ovulating. That's crazy.

I just spoke to my doctor today about the same thing. I went off the pill in January and haven't ovulated or had a real period since and they gave me an appointment this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->