Knock Knock can I join you :)

New2Bumps

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Hi Ladies :)

Well I hope it's okay for me to join you all - my baby was born 5 days ago at 36+1 and he's currently in neo natal for jaundice.
My waters broke at 35+5 and when admitted found out the my bp was high and iron low so have just come home from a 6 night stay in hospital.
Ethan was admitted to neo natal after 1 1/2 days as he had feeding issues, temperature and blood sugar issues and then developed jaundice.
He's on and off the phototherapy which is a rollercoaster - always waiting on blood test results. His little heels and hands are all dotty and bruised from the needles and pricks :( He has an iv in his hand for the antibiotics he's on (as my waters broke early - guilt trip) and he's on a little heated matress too for his temperature. He's taking most of his 3 hourly bottle feeds now but yesterday he had a little tube into his tummy - apparently he was too tired to feed so this will help him but was a shock to see.
It's so wierd feeling like I've been cheated out of a month of pregnancy, guilt that I couldn't hold onto him for a bit longer and just emotional and so sad that I'm missing out on the 'normal' things that the other moms and babies got to do like changing nappies, feeding, changing clothes etc. It was horrible on the ward when they came to take a heel prick or blood every 3 hours and at first they wouldn't let me do anything :( Had an emotional meltdown on Saturday and feel stronger now, although still sometimes on the verge of tears when I'm not with him. We go twice a day to feed and change him. We don't feel like a mommy and daddy at the moment but that is getting better now that we can help care for him. The last day in hospital with the baby not with me was awful - I just felt lost and like I didn't have a baby.
Anyway that's my story. I hope you don't mind me joining you even though he's not that prem.
xxx

Congrats on the birth of your son. Although everyone wants a 40 week baby, 36 weeks isn't bad at all. You are lucky to have made it that far, I'm praying I do too. Hopefully he'll be home with you soon. Again, CONGRATS!!!!!!!! :)

Congratulations!

36 weeks is great. Glad to hear he is doing quite well. Was he a good weight? It does seem harsh that they seem like a pin cushion, but it's all for the good. Bizarrely Abby (born at 29 weeks) didn't seem to mind them too much, but HATED having her temperature taken under her armpit.:dohh:

The guilt and the emotional roller coaster will last for a wee while, but once the hormones settle down and you start to feel better, that will pass. I found it helped to take some time in the day to sit quietly and reflect (and cry) then put on the brave face and carried on with the tasks in hand.

You held on to him for 36 weeks, that's a pretty good crack of the whip. Pregnancy is only such a small part of parenthood, and you have a lifetime to be a brilliant mum.

Hopefully the time will pass quickly and he will be home with you and you will start to feel like "proper" parents. It wasn't until we loaded Abby into the car that we felt it and at that point she was nearly 7 weeks old!

A couple of words of advice. Take this time to rest up and get better. The journey can be physically and emotionally draining. Soak in the bath, sleep in and pamper yourself. You need it! Also, don't feel you have to run yourself ragged visiting every day. It is ok to take a day off, go out as a couple, have a nice meal and celebrate your new addition. It is easy to become consumed by the situation and some time away can be a blessing. No-one will think any the worse of you for doing it if you need to.

Keep us informed of progress, and check out the "Introduce your VIP" thread at the top of the page. We'd love to see photos of Ethan!

oh welcome and congrats babe Ethan is a lovely weight and such a great weight for his gestarion. The phototherapy and all the blood tests are hard, Matthew's jaundice was quite severe and on the verge of treating him with more than the phototherapy but he started to respond after a few days, we called the phottherapy his 'little blue house' to lighten the mood.

The bruising and pin pricks do fade rather quickly as well. Hope he is home real soon....some photos when your home and settled please we are all either pregnant, ttc or wtt in here haha so love cooing over new babies :happydance: x

Congratulations on baby Ethan. 36 weeks is a great gestation...but I know how you feel about missing out but as one mum has said above parenting is a lifetime. Once you get your LO home you will forget all about those awful NICU weeks, I have and I like you suffered emotionally. I felt like someone had stolen my baby and ripped out my heart. It does get easier and your LO sounds like he is doing really well, I know it does not feel like it at the moment but he really is.
Big hugs to you both. x

Congratulations on the arrival of Ethan! Hopefully it won't be long till he's home with you. Like the other ladies have said, it is a hard time but it is all worth it in the end xx

congratulations on your new baby boy, i think the phototherapy lights give them a nice colour to their skin as people always said he had a lovely colouring rather than blotchy skin. I hope his stay in the unit is a short one. Dont worry about the needles they wont remember!!!!! I know how you feel about being cheated i never even got a bump!

https://https://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z146/LazLLM/Ethan%20Tyler/103_0584.jpg

Thanks everyone for your kind words! :)

Glad to tell you Ethan is home - follow up blood test next Thursday to check the jaundice has gone but he's home :) Doing well with his feeds although he didn't finish the last one (cue worry) but things are going well so far. xxx

Congratulations! Enjoy your little man now he is home. xx

Great news! What a happy new year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"