Kony 2012

Really glad this is circulating, I did a project on this my freshman year of high school and when I did it my entire class and teacher were pretty much like 'oh ok whys this matter?' I hope the attention doesn't die down and our country actually does something to help these people.

Im not shocked that this isnt well known as it doesnt effect our safety/money so the media and government couldn't care less.

I cant see any way of taking him down without attacking. Yes his body guards are children but if he isnt stopped then surely more and more children will be kidnapped?

Yeah I completely agree that attacking may be the only way, it's a sad fact that children will die as a result of the actions.
But I feel that the charity that is behind the video is more concerned with revenue than justice from reports I have read (not even 30% of their money goes towards helping the country).

maybe, but imo there wasnt much focus on money in the video, more just about getting the word out so hes stopped this year.

True, but they are selling awareness packs, have a donate button on their site. I'd raise awareness, but not through their campaign.

https://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/18909727859/on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to-stay-as-far

Sorry I don't agree with this to a point - awareness about something like this is fantastic and I don't deny their intentions are positive. But there is more to it - they believe in military force and that is something I don't condone

'The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.'

From what I've gathered - this militant force would have to fight children to save children - Konys bodyguards will be children. Yes he is an inexplicably evil man but there is a lot of misinformation going round and I feel like people are ready to run out with leaflets and posters without really knowing the full story. SO much of their expenses goes on travelling, film making, merchandise, salaries etc anything they have left over after that seems to go straight to the Ugandan government. I'd rather support Amnesty International and at the end of that article they have a list of other alternative charities to support.

x

https://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/18909727859/on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to-stay-as-far

Sorry I don't agree with this to a point - awareness about something like this is fantastic and I don't deny their intentions are positive. But there is more to it - they believe in military force and that is something I don't condone

'The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.'

From what I've gathered - this militant force would have to fight children to save children - Konys bodyguards will be children. Yes he is an inexplicably evil man but there is a lot of misinformation going round and I feel like people are ready to run out with leaflets and posters without really knowing the full story. SO much of their expenses goes on travelling, film making, merchandise, salaries etc anything they have left over after that seems to go straight to the Ugandan government. I'd rather support Amnesty International and at the end of that article they have a list of other alternative charities to support.

x

Yeah agree! That's the other article I was trying to find :thumbup:

Im realy in two mindss about all this, I looked into it a bit and where as this bloke WAS a big threat it looks like he wsd arrested back in 2006 anf never heard from again most likely killed.
Theres alot that believe this is a big government properganda to gain public support for sending troups over to africa and they are using this as a cover up to get the public backing.

Im still unsure yet so im goung to look further into it

Thank you for sharing this, and the other article. I am not sure where I stand on this at the moment, will do some more research in a minute.

My inital reaction is that soooooooooooo many of my friends have uploaded this to fb, probably about 99.5% of the will not donate money to the Invisible Children/Kony2012 meaning that they wont be getting an awful lot of money but so more people are aware of the Kony situation. I personally had never heard of him or any of what is happening before yesterday. In my mind awareness is so important.

I also didnt like the goody/bady thing nor did I like the fact he used his son in that way. I understand he is passionate but I do believe that some things are not suitable for a six year old child. If I were to tell Naomi-Mae (who is also six) that there is a man who abducts children she would be terrified, and at her age doesnt understand about distance/location in the world so would think that he might come and get her.

The video is very powerful and strong and incredibly sad and i can see how this will raise awareness, i never heard of Kony, i do now!!... but like some others have said i would have to reserch more into the situation, rather than take that video at face value.

Personally i feel the world will never ever be perfect, but can be better, we can all make the world a better place.

It made me appreciate my life more and how insignificant our problems are compared to others in the world x

edit:

i have been researching online and have been reading information about the oil found in uganda, it is one of the most corrupt places on this planet, it is impossibe to ever be able to find out what really is going on.
we live in a world where its all about money and power and we are a long long long way off, if ever, of it being any other way.

as it stands i wouldnt donate to this charity but Uganda needs this kind of media attention. x

Itd just funny that africon have just got the go ahead to drill for oil and now suddenly theres an exscuse to go over with a army to "catch a bad man" that hasnt been heard from in 6 years

This is not a charity you would find me giving money too, i think its great that alot of people who were unaware until this week are suddenly aware of the plight of these poor children, however THIS charity are very questionable to say the least, very clever media tactics yes. But is everyone aware by donating money to this charity you are putting money into the Ugandan military, This charity isn't necessarily in everyones best interests. If you do just a TINY bit of research you will find alot of reason not to donate through this charity. But by all means spread the word, its shocking how many people are unaware of what goes on in the world.

I've said this in another thread but i'll say it here too.

It's not about the charity it's about raising awareness and supporting the campaign - which is vital. I think people are being blinded.
This ''man'' has been doing these awful crimes for over 20 years, and most people around the world had no idea who he was. I think the publicity and awareness can only be a good thing.

I hope people get the pun...i have an inconvenient truth for those who have donated thinking they were 'saving the children'.

Kony hasnt been active in Uganda for over 5 years. Children are no longer being kidnapped by him in Uganda. In fact its even possible he's already dead..

And the money they collect goes to their travel fund, their pockets and the corrupt Ugandan gov't.

It was a good idea, but sadly its like educating people about 9/11 now, all these years later.

https://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

"And back to Uganda. Uganda is no longer experiencing violence from the LRA. Yes, I said it. It’s an uncomfortable truth, but it is a truth. For about the last year, since before IC hit the scene, Kony and his troops have been pushed into Congo, into the Garamba National Forest there. He’s sick, starving, and on his last legs. For the first time, Uganda is in the middle of real peace talks and the rebels have laid down their arms and are assembling to make peace. Why? This is happening because Joseph Kony was defeated. The Uganda People’s Defense Force (UPDF) has beaten them back and Kony was sitting in Congo starving to death. Since March 2002, the UPDF has been allowed to carry out raids against the LRA into Southern Sudan and has even crossed into Congo, to the distress of most of the African community. Nonetheless, Operation Iron Fist, as this military offensive was called, has freed many child soldiers and sex slaves and brought them back to Uganda. The rebels again became very violent in 2003, but since 2004, the Ugandan government has been repeatedly beating the rebels and weakening them. Uganda is no longer allowed to enter Sudan or Congo to fight the LRA."

And for the truly cynical among us...
https://imgur.com/gallery/K3mgn

https://thisisafrica.wordpress.com/...y2012-invisible-childrens-campaign-of-infamy/

Not to say that this is the case here but I've no doubt the US is extremely concerned about the growing Chinese dominance in key African countries.

The time for this video would have been 5+ years ago when he was stronger, still in Uganda, etc. His army is apparently down to around 400 people now and the situation on the ground that the video covers has changed dramatically.

I think the most important to note is that many of the charities and agencies active in Uganda and, more importantly, many Ugandans themselves are not necessarily supportive of Invisible Children's approach or view it as the most important issue affecting children in Uganda.

None of this is to ignore the fact that Kony is a b@stard and the world would be better off without him.

Oh dear, i've heard people talking about the US taking advantage of this to get themselves into Africa...

For gods sake, I wish people would think before they do things. Because if we do end up over there, its going to be such a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->