K's arrived!

Jetters

Reaction score
My little gorgeous boy K is 4 days old and snoozing in his daddy's arms right now, so thought i'd try and get the birth story written down while i've got a chance!

On Sunday July 18th at 10pm, my waters broke without any warning while we were chilling out watching tv. I was 36+6 and couldn't quite believe it... i'd been SO sure i'd go overdue!! I was utterly drenched and in no doubt whatsoever that it was my waters, so called up the delivery suite who told me to come in and get it confirmed. We headed up to the hospital with my mostly-packed hospital bag, certain we'd be home later that night. I'd had no BHs or contractions at all, it was literally out of nowhere and I was SO excited to realise that I was days away from meeting my baby :happydance:

We got to the hospital where my waters gushed out of me for a second time, absolutely soaking the waiting room floor much to the horror of a man waiting in there for his wife :rofl: I was examined and it was confirmed to be my waters, but my cervix was high and not dilated at all, so the MW said I was to go home and come back Tuesday to be induced if labour didn't happen naturally. That was fine by me, cos I wanted to get my flat ready, get things set up for baby etc. So I went for a wee and BAM!- my first contraction and OH MY FRICKING GOD did it hurt. :dohh: However when I got back into the triage room, the doctor was waiting for me and she told me I couldn't go home as my waters had broken before 38 weeks and I had a heart condition. Booooo! I was really upset but not for long as the contractions were coming every 3 minutes. I was taken to my room in the High Dependancy Unit which was lovely and within 30 minutes the contractions were so bad it was obvious I was in active labour. I was excited and terrified all at once! My dad arrived and I was attached to all of my monitors on the bed.

The next few hours are fairly hazy thanks to good old gas and air!!! According to my dad and partner I was hysterically funny- all I remember is stroking a midwifes face and demanding to go home so I could clean my bathroom floor :dohh:. I was examined at around 2am and was 2cm dilated. I HATED the g&a so I was then given pethadine as I wasn't coping well with the pain at all, despite insisting I didn't want any opiates that would affect the baby, but was assured it wouldn't affect him that early on in labour. The anaethestist was also called to give me an epidural, as due to my heart condition they didn't want too much stress on my heart. He came at around 4am and spent almost 2 hours giving me a spinal tap and then the epidural- I was hysterical and in so much pain that I didn't feel it at all. Baby was back to back and so I was in back labour and it was just agony. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and was completely out of control with the pain and the terror by this point, so when the epidural finally kicked in I think everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

I slept on and off for a few hours until 10am when I was examined again and was only 4cm. I felt completely fine at this point, although every hour or so when the epidural would wear off and need topping off i'd feel the contractions in my back again for 10-15 minutes and get really upset. My dad and partner never left my side for a second, keeping me calm and reassuring me- they were amazing. However at around 11am the epidural began to wear off on one side and the pain was unbelievable- the anaethetist came back and confirmed it wasn't working on my right side and wiggled it around a bit, but nope- it wasn't working :cry: the next few hours were just bloody awful, trying to cope with the back pain while being stuck laying flat on my back in the bed :cry:

At 1pm I was examined again and I was 8cm, so the midwife told me much to my joy that i'd have my baby in my arms by 8pm :happydance::happydance: which really boosted me up. She said i'd be examined again at 3 and if I was 10cm then she'd give me two more hours to progress and we'd begin pushing at 5pm- I couldn't wait and it really helped me push through the next few hours of back contractions. At 3 i'd made it to 10cm, woooohoooo, and so spent the next two hours in a state of panic and excitement with my dad and best friend ButtonJessie just staring at the clock!

At 5pm, the midwife came back with her student and pushing began. It was really difficult as i'd had the epidural so couldn't feel when or how to push, so she'd tell me when to push and I literally pushed as if I was trying to do a huge poo!!! The epidural began wearing off really quickly and I pushed with everything I had for an hour, really well, until the back pain again got unbearable. At that point I got really upset and panicky. The baby was in the birth canal but I just couldn't push him out, it was just too much, and the doctor was called in. I had my face covered with a wet flannel and just screamed my way through it and at 6.52pm on Monday July 19th, my beautiful son came into the world and straight onto my chest. :cloud9: It was without a doubt the most painful thing I have EVER experienced!!

He was placed onto my chest and I just sobbed and sobbed and held onto my son and just couldn't believe he was there. He was grey and didn't cry so the MWs rubbed and rubbed him and he eventually took a gasp of air. They waited as I requested for the cord to turn white before my dad cut the cord :cloud9: after a while I realised that he was turning blue, so they took him over to the resusitation cot thingy and gave him oxygen for about 45 minutes- it was really scary and upsetting but he had his daddy standing with him which helped me. While that was happening they were trying to get the placenta out but despite having the injection, it just wasn't coming and was realllllllllly painful. An hour later and they finally had it out, and he was given back to me on my chest again where I just laid there with my son in total shock.

He weighed 6lb 5oz, was 52cm long, and was just so perfect.

Despite having a horrible labour, and 21 hours of agony, he was totally worth it- the midwifes were amazing, I somehow managed not to puke or poo on the table :)haha:), and I got nearly everything I wanted from my birth plan. I am an extremely happy and proud mama and feel completely blessed to have my beautiful, healthy son in the world :cloud9:

<3

https://jetbayat.smugmug.com/photos/944943372_5EgwU-M.jpg

https://jetbayat.smugmug.com/photos/944943712_oiFPA-M.jpg

Huge congrats! Well done! :hugs:

Wow, what an amazing story!!

Huge congratulations - he's absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE that outfit!!

x

My gosh- your little man put you through your paces! And of course he's been worth it- he is utterly gorgeous! Congrats!

Congratulations, he's gorgeous. Very cool outfit too. X

well done hun..and a huge congrats he is beautiful
xx

I have been waiting for your birth story hun :cloud9:

Sorry it was so painful for you but you sound like you did amazingly and like you say, all more than worth it to have your gorgeous baby boy with you :hugs:

xxx

Oh hun well done you - glad I found this, have been looking forward to it.

What a story - and what a gorgeous little man at the end of it :hugs:

https://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq240/2beautifulgirls_0207/congrats007.gif

Aww Yas hun what a ordeal for you.Back to back labour is awful.That sucks that the Epidural didn't kick in.So glad your Dad and G was there with you every step of the way.It's def a pain soonest forgotten though isnt it?

Baby K is adorable and I love his proper name.So pleased you have your little man and you are a Mummy.

Loads of love xx

Aww Jetters! I totally missed this! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :yipee: :yipee: :yipee:

Sounds like a horrible labour, but you did handle it really well! How lucky you didnt have to go that last horrible super uncomfortable 3 weeks of pregnancy! What a lovely little boy he is to his mummy.. :)

Hope you dont mind me asking...is his name K? I think its really cool lol! Or have you shortened it?

Been a long time coming hun...get the fluff tower in use immediately! :winkwink:

congrats Jetters! What a great birth story. K is absolutely gorgeous! Hope he is fitting into some fluff soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->