Labor Q's

faille

Mummy & WTT
Reaction score
Okay so excuse my naivety here but I have absolutely no clue and I can't wait until my next mw app to ask these questions lol!

What is the most painful part of labour?
Why is it 'too late' to have any pain relief?
For what part of the labour is pain relief for..? to help deal with contractions or the pain of pushing?

Thanks for any enlightment you can give, I really don't have a clue what to expect!

All of the labour was painful IMO
I'm not 100% sure why sometimes it's too late for pain relief. Although you can have gas and air but after a certain stage you can't have an epidural and in most cases pethidine. It can depend on how fast you're dilating. I was so fast they didn't have time to give me any other pain relief other than gas and air and I think it can also interfere or harm your baby or something if you have some pain reliefs after a certain point.
Pain relief can be for painful contractions and pushing.

I think the most painful part is the contractions, especially once they get closer together as this is also when they get stronger. With my son, it got to a point where it felt like they were never-ending & they all just rolled into one.
Once you get to a cetain number of cm's dilated (not sure how many tho), it is too late to have an epidural or pethadine......this is because the pain-relief can cross over to the baby, and can effect them after they are born. Like, if you get the pain relief too late, it can make baby drowsy for several hours, and can sometimes affect their breathing & their responses.
IMO, the pain relief is really to help with the pain of contractions........the pain from pushing was over in seconds for me.

One piece of advice I would give would be to ask for the pain relief a bit earlier than you think you need it......like, try to anticipate before it gets too bad. I waited until I really needed it, and then had to wait another half hour to get it....by which time I was in agony & had got myself really upset & worked up.

The head crowning

7cm I think

For what part of the labour is pain relief for..? to help deal with contractions or the pain of pushing?

Contractions

I think the most painful part really depends on the person. For me its the contractions until i'm ready to push. Once you are pushing i think you are distracted from the pain of them by your concentration on the pushing.

Some mw take away the gas and air whilst you push. I was mortified with my 1st lol. With my 2nd the mw didn't but i ended up handing it over as it was distracting me from pushing tbh.

I would say it is getting to 3 cm, after that it is a bit faster

The baby will be almost out of you by the time they come to get you an epidural, or the drugs will be in too strong effect for baby to come off them before birth, if too close.

I say it is best for you to get to 3 cm most off. But, should wear down in time to push, most off with your first baby. Because, you need to know where to push and even I had a hard time with my last one they drugged me up because the Doctor was not coming, wanted to hold me off... yes they did! horrible hospital!

Thanks so much for the replies, they've helped a lot. :hugs:

For some reason I'm panicking that my mw wont go over this stuff with me and I'll have to research it all on my own :dohh:

What is the most painful part of labour? = For me it was the early stages , Once i was nearing the end and the goal was in sight pain became irrelevant .

Why is it 'too late' to have any pain relief? = I think from what i have been told , This is because say you ge to 8 or 9 cm really quickly , They cannot give you an epi as by the time they get it in and it gets around your system you will be holding baby in your arms lol .
Allthow even in late stages you can request gas and air .

For what part of the labour is pain relief for..? to help deal with contractions or the pain of pushing? = I used the painr elief for contractions , I saved all my concentration and energy for the pushing part without feeling woozy , I wanted to be able to concentrate on what i was been told to do .

Good luck . xxx .

Okay so excuse my naivety here but I have absolutely no clue and I can't wait until my next mw app to ask these questions lol!

What is the most painful part of labour?Why is it 'too late' to have any pain relief?For what part of the labour is pain relief for..? to help deal with contractions or the pain of pushing?

Thanks for any enlightment you can give, I really don't have a clue what to expect!

The endless contractions with no gaps in them
Its not that its to late, its just more likely to be less affective because youve passed your own personally pain barrier.
I think pain relief is to help ease the contractions mostly, help you cope better. Pain relief can be taken by gas and air when pushing, but personally i didnt think i needed to with it only taking 10mins

Getting through the contractions was the toughest part to handle. I was told it was too late for an epidural because by the time I got to the ER, I was almost ready to push. Pushing was the easiest part for me.

I thought that the contractions were the hardest part of labour. But I just left the 'pushing' to my body and breathed her out. No pain relief for me but I am pretty sure they are for the contractions

In 5 previous labour experiences I found the most painful part the contractions nearing the end, when they're almost non stop:hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy:....but before the pushing stage, which I've never found to be as bad as I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->