Labouring Down?

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
Who has done "labouring down" instead of the traditional feet in stirups, pushing up and out? Did you tear when you did this?

I tore and my feet were on the bed. If that helps any.

I tried to labour ilike this, but it just wasn't very comfortable for me, so I was lay down/sat on a kind of bean bag mattress-thing. I think it's worth trying different positions but keep in mind that they might not be comfortable/effective/etc when the time comes. I had 2 stitches. :) x

I tried to crouch before i had my epidural and i didnt find it very comfortable cus when i was having a contraction to try and hold my body weight also i found it very difficult. Ill defo be trying it again though to find where ill be most comfortable.

hah its when you use gravity to help the baby come out instead of trying to push it out when its not ready. You just use gravity and your push reflex instead of listening to a bunch of people screaming at you when your body isn't telling you that you need to push. You're supposed to avoid as much tearing this way.

erm, well I was told to push on contractions but even if i hadn't been told too I had a terrible urge to push at the time anyway. Dunno if that's the same?

I didn't try this but Ihad the epidural pretty early. I did find that labouring on my side produced much better results than on my back. I did tear but she was almost 9 pounds!

Its been proven that the whole flat on your back with your feet in stirrups is the worst position to give birth in - an active birth, where you birth in the position that feels best for you, is the best way.

Its been proven that the whole flat on your back with your feet in stirrups is the worst position to give birth in - an active birth, where you birth in the position that feels best for you, is the best way.

Yeah, I'm not really thrilled with the idea of pushing in stirrups. Even though that is probably the only way they do it here. I'm scared if I tell them I want to labour down then they'll think I'm insane and refuse to deliver the baby that way :dohh:

I want to be able to get into whatever position I want to, and there is no way in hell I'm pushing in that position, so they're just going to have to send in someone who WILL deliver like that if its an issue. I'm being firm on my birth plan.

NO ONE can force you to lie down if you don't want to. Make sure that your birth partner knows what you want and supports you all the way - you don't want to have to fight while you're in labour - that's what your partner is for.

Doesn't it depend on the angle the baby is coming out at whether you tare or not, im sure thats what i was told at my antenatal class, though it was 8 years ago so i may have it wrong.
Something to do with the baby moves round slowly as its coming out but dont always do the full turn or something.

I wanted to try to use a birthing stool, when I originally made my birth plan, but now I am having a c-section... Ok, so again, not helping :)

I had my auntie & mom holding my legs back while I pushed, but I had the epidural (thank GOD) and couldn't hold my body weight otherwise I would have tried it.
P.S. I got ripped to shreds. Stitches inside, top & bottom.:) (Get an episiotomy if they offer it)

I had my auntie & mom holding my legs back while I pushed, but I had the epidural (thank GOD) and couldn't hold my body weight otherwise I would have tried it.
P.S. I got ripped to shreds. Stitches inside, top & bottom.:) (Get an episiotomy if they offer it)

:shock:

Seeeee.....I'm going to be emotionally traumatized if I tear!

I'm going to try no epidural and just hope to God that she kind of just..slides out or something :rofl:

An active birth reduces the likelyhood of tearing, as does having a water birth. If you do small quick pushes once the head begins to crown, rather than long strong pushes (like they often tell you too) you also reduce your risk of tearing as you give your perenium time to stretch. By the way, tearing is better than being cut as you tend to heal better and quicker.

Tearing is like stretch marks... if your going to have them, your going to have them. There isn't a whole heck of alot that you can really do...

I am looking forward to being in bed laying down haha... I am far too lazy to try and use a stool or stand or some other method. I know most people do not lay flat on their back though, you should be semi-sitting up so you can push properly.

Just like having a big crap haha... you wouldnt lean back to have it, you would crouch forward and push (haha sorry too much of a visual I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->