Lactose overload???

stepmum

Oliver's Mummy
Reaction score
If anyone has seen my previous posts they will recall that we have had recurring problems with Oliver's pooing and also with him being hungry all the time, we still haven't got to the bottom of either issues but I googled tonight as his nappies were smelling kind of like vinegar and I've read about lactose overload..baby is taking too much lactose through overfeeding (I feel awful at this statement) as he cannot indicate initially when he has had enough and then is having cramps from the lactose therefore seeking another feed before the last one has digested and so on, a viscious circle, His symptoms are all spot on

Frequent watery bowel motions (can often be green in color but not always)
Bowel motions often have a slightly to very offensive odor
Bowel motions could be frothy or 'explosive' (shoot out with force)
Bloating
Cramps
Excessive gas
Irritability/screaming
Sleeplessness or wakefulness
Baby appears to be constantly hungry
Baby gains large amounts of weight (which is not the case when a baby is lactose intolerant)
Baby is usually less than 3 months old, but this problem can continue to the age of 5 months

Appearing constantly hungry is an understatement, he's currently taking 9oz 5 times a day, I knew this was too much but all the meds told me to just keep upping it and he'll stop when he's full, he never stops!!

I'm gonna be in for a rough ride as I'm gonna have to drop his amount down to 6oz which is what he should be having, he's gonna "think" he's still hungry :nope:

Apparantely this is more common in preemies and I was wondering if anyone has experience of this did and they get through it quickly??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->