Ladies who had a 22 week scan for uterine blood flow - Pre-eclampsia

MishC

Has a little princess!!
Reaction score
Firstly I was wondering how many other women have had this done, what were your results and did you get pre-eclampsia / HELLP back?

I had mine today and I found out that I have a definite notch on the left uterine artery and the PI is 0.89 (centile) and I have a possible notch on the right uterine artery and the PI is 0.91 (centile)

I'm not entirely sure what is classed as a good PI and what is classed as a not so good PI. Could anyone shed any light on this?

Because of the results I have been booked in for growth scans at 28,32 & 36 weeks. I also have a low lying placenta that is covering the OS which they're wanting to keep an eye on.

I had this done in both this pregnancy and my last. Both times I've had/have notching on both sides. With my last pregnancy I didn't develop pre e, but my blood pressure did go up starting at 34 weeks and only went higher. I had a sweep at 38 weeks because my OB was concerned that it would turn into pre e. Thankfully I made it that far and baby was fine, no IUGR etc.

This pregnancy so far has been pretty much the same, baby is measuring fine but I have notching on both sides. I have no idea what PI means, this isn't something I've been told about. I've been taking low dose asprin since 12 weeks, and this seems to have made a world of difference. I still have to go for growth scans once a month and will probably have to go for NST after 32 weeks like I did last time.

Thanks for your reply that's actually quite helpful.

Pi stands for pulsatility index but not sure what it means. I think anything above 0.95 almost guarantees pre-e before 34 weeks but icould have that very wrong. I'm still reading lots of research to try and understand it better.

I had a growth scan today that shows a low umbilical PI, I haven't been able to find out what it really means yet either but I have a consultants appointment tomorrow where I intend to ask so if she gives me a good explanation I will come and share with you and hopefully give you a better understanding as well.

I've had this scan with my son and a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what good/bad results are - just know that both times the Drs have been happy with the results - but that despite that I did develop pre-eclampsia at 37weeks with my son (and wouldn't be surprised if I did again - my blood pressure is already starting to creep up)

Oh I have just realised that you were talking about uterine PI not umbilical PI which are apparently very different so I'm afraid I don't have any useful information for you apart from that fact I was completely worried about mine and my consultant has settled my fears so try and not stress until you talk to a doctor properly and get a professional explanation.

I had one at 22 weeks and had uterine notching on the left side, I did get pre again however i had a section at 35+ before I could develop in to help, I had scans every 10 days

I got high resistance in both the arteries and my doc has put me on baby aspirin... my bp is already nearing not so good levels (130/80) :(
I am really really scared n heartbroken...

At least they can keep an eye on it for you, I was on baby asprin from 6 weeks yet did no good for me x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->