Last pregnancy I was strict on foods.. This time I'm mehh...

sharnw

Mum to soon to be 3
Reaction score
Last pregnancy I was strict on food. No cold lunch meat or cold chicken.. No cold seafood... I didnt go near soft cheese.
UNTIL I was 25 weeks, I was eating cold lunch meat, cold chicken, runny eggs, I had a feast on cold prawns for Xmas and nothing was wrong. Still kept away from soft cheese...

This time I really don't feel like being strict at all. Will still stay away from soft cheese though.

Anyone else?

EDIT: Oh... Sushi was also a big no no. And still is :) but I reallllyyy want the crispy chicken sushi!

Most sushi is fine as it's been frozen before serving which means it's safe to eat. I agree the biggest risk is from soft cheese. I still eat luncheon meat, it's not on the banned list in the UK. With my first two pregnancies I had an occassional small glass of wine from second tri onwards but not in first. A big chilled glass of sauvignon is what I miss most!

I was just starting to enjoy my drinkies and then I get a surprise bfp lol :)

Congrats to you :)

The UK may be different from the US, but is soft cheese considered cream cheese? You know, the cheese for bagels? If so, then my first and second pregnancy I ate bagels almost every morning and currently enjoying one here and there. My babies came out perfect, I'm not strict at all.

I don't touch alcohol or go near anyone smoking, and I don't lift anything too heavy--that's how I roll.

If I spend my pregnancy super strict like that about food, I'd go batty. Sushi I wouldn't touch, or anything not cooked (besides veggies), but cream cheese and deli meats I still had, and have.

I'm in Australia. Soft cheese, I'm thinking blue cheese etc

Cream cheese that you have in bagels is ok. It's only unpasturised cheeses that you need to avoid like brie, camembert, and blue cheeses. Those cheeses are a risk because they can carry Listeria which causes still birth and severe birth defects. It's very rare but you're twenty tines more likely to conract it when pregnant so it really isn't worth the risk.

Cream cheese and processed soft cheese is fine it's more the brie etc that is risky. I happily eat it toasted or cooked though.
I think the only thing I really avoid is pate and liver although I ate a couple of faggots without thinking and I'm not worried, I just wouldn't have liver n onions 5 days a week.
I don't perceive raw or partially cooked eggs as a risk (fresh and lion stamped) , I still eat all seafood (wouldn't ever have shark or marlin etc pregnant or not, and I never overdo the tuna either).
Xx

Me too! Last time, I gave up coffee entirely. This time, I drink a cup every morning. I couldn't keep up with my son without it! I am also allowing myself an occasional glass of wine (though right now my body doesn't want it). But yeah, last time I was way overboard. This time I'm much more mellow about it.

You are supposed to reheat leftovers. It is just a concern over picking up bad bacteria and getting food poisoning.

Would you consider goat cheese a soft cheese to stay away from? The guide says brie, blue etc but doesn't mention goat.

Also, sushi is cool as long as you don't have actual raw fish in it. Salmon rolls, cali rolls, crispy chicken etc is all good!! I won't be skipping on sushi like that, in fact I basically sustain myself on salmon rolls!

Here is Canada's food safety guide during pregnancy PDF file if you want to have a look. 3rd last page has a list of foods you shouldn't eat. https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2010/sc-hc/H14-55-2-2010-eng.pdf

I think goats cheese is a no but could be wrong?

You are supposed to reheat leftovers. It is just a concern over picking up bad bacteria and getting food poisoning.

Would you consider goat cheese a soft cheese to stay away from? The guide says brie, blue etc but doesn't mention goat.

I was told by my OB with my first pregnancy that as long as it was pasteurized, cheese was safe. :) That included goat cheese.

To each their own in choosing, but as long as I was able to confirm the cheese was pasteurized, I ate it. lol.

Goats cheese if pasteurised is fine, I personally don't eat the rind when pregnant .

Raw fish sushi is fine too (uk guidelines)

Xx

A few things are different in the US vs. UK. In the US, most cheese is pasteurized. Just check to make sure. I believe in the UK most soft cheese (maybe all cheese?) is made with unpasteurized milk, so there's a bigger risk. My dr said just make sure the cheese is made with pasteurized milk and you're good to go. :thumbup:

What's wrong with crispy chicken sushi? The chicken isn't raw is it? And many soft cheeses are made with pasturized milk or cream these days. I was mad at OH for bringing home a brick of Brie, until I noticed it was pasturized!

I'm finding myself in the same boat too. Last pregnancy I ate really healthily especially in the first trimester. This pregnancy I've had morning sickness and just wanted carbs and sugar for about 5 weeks.

I try not to be paranoid about my food choices which for me means sushi is a-ok(most is prefrozen in Canada), soft pasteurized cheeses are also a yes as well as the occasional piece of tuna, a few cups of tea a week and sips of wine here and there. I try to stay away from deli meat, pop and artificial sugar more because I know it's full of processed junk (and there are other naughty foods I way prefer). I've always thought it strange that a small glass of wine gets you death glares in Canada but sugary pop is somehow ok.

I feel the risks of bacteria from raw veggies is just as high as some of the foods to avoid list but it would be ridiculous to ban them from my diet. I've never been overly worried about bacteria and food poisoning affecting my baby but i understand how some women feel otherwise. To each their own.

I agree. Most of the recent listeria outbreaks in Canada involved veggies. And wasn't there a fatal outbreak in the US involving cantaloupe? I don't understand why they warn us about cold cuts especially. As for alcohol, they don't know exactly how much can cause FAS, so the recommendation is to avoid it altogether (even though we know that a sip here and there won't cause FAS). Honestly I think medical information is generally dumbed down for the public.

Cream cheese that you have in bagels is ok. It's only unpasturised cheeses that you need to avoid like brie, camembert, and blue cheeses. Those cheeses are a risk because they can carry Listeria which causes still birth and severe birth defects. It's very rare but you're twenty tines more likely to conract it when pregnant so it really isn't worth the risk.

Thank goodness I don't like any of those cheeses, but I absolutely LOVE cream cheese, so I'm glad that didn't make the forbidden list.

Hmmmm, I wonder about feta cheese now? I just ate a greek salad. Crap. NEVER MIND, I just did a google search of my grocery store and the feta is pasteurized a long with most of its cheeses, including blue cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->