• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Latching

kls9503

Reaction score
Baby is 4 days old today. When he first latches on he latches really well and suckles fine for the first 5 to 10 minutes then he all of a sudden unlatches and gets mad and doesn't want to relatch. I'll then offer the other breast and he does the same. I've tried burping him in between breasts and then trying to relatch him but he will only suckle a few times and then pull off again. Any ideas or thoughts? This is my fourth baby and I really want the be successful at breastfeeding this time.

Edited to add my milk came in yesterday.

There could be a few reasons.. Does he get a letdown before he unlatches? He could be impatient that it's not coming fast enough. If you express some first it could help. Or you may have a fast and overactive letdown that is too much for him to handle so he pulls away. Another thing is to get him checked for tongue and lip ties. If he has one latching properly and staying latched can be difficult. IT also makes transferring milk difficult and could frustrate him.

Thanks for your advice. He has been checked for a lip and tongue tie and he doesn't have one. I have hand expressed some so I don't think that my let down is too slow, but it may be too fast. He has been doing better since I posted this so hopefully we are just learning our way through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->