late toddlerhood/early childhood crisis?

hellohefalump

Reaction score
Madeleine starts school in September. She seems happy about it, she's visited it and liked it and she likes her teacher.

But suddenly she's not wanting to do things she normally loves (swimming lessons and dancing), she's being really cuddly. When she gets told off even a little bit, she gets really upset and takes a while to calm down...

She never used to be like this, she's always been very confident. I think it's because she's starting school and she's scared about the change.

And I'm going to make it worse... I've had this holiday booked for a while. Just me and my sister are going to Sicilly for a week without the kids (they'll be staying at home with daddy). Anyway, that's tommorow.

My poor little girl is feeling so insecure at the moment, is anyone else's four/five yr old getting like this before starting school?

anyone? I'm back from the holiday now, all was good. Madeleine threw a wobbly when we got back, but now seems back to normal. We went to the soft play today though, and Madeleine got really upset because she didn't want to share a ball with another girl that was playing with it first (Madeleine maintains SHE was playing with it first though). She's still getting very upset over little things.

I imagine she is just anxious about school. I wouldn't worry about it. She will adjust. I thought my daughter was going to have a horrible time adjusting but it took no time for her.

I know with my oldest if I am anxious, even a little bit she knows and it makes it worse for her. Could you be a little nervous about school?

It does sound like she's anxious about school.

Also has anything changed recently with your youngest? Maybe they just started walking, their speech is improving or something? A lot of big sisters become unsettled when the baby of the family goes through big changes too. xxx

Thanks you both for replying

Cooper2010, I am a little anxious, I never thought of that. I just want my girly to be happy and make lots of friends. I was rubbish at making friends when I was at school and I don't want that for her.

Tegan's mama, YES!!! The little man has just started walking and talking a little!

My son has always been a bit nervous, even tho he was in grade 2 last year, he still would get clingy every Monday morning. I just gave him his extra hugs he needed.

4/5 is a typical age for lots of anxiety:nope:, even if nothing new is going on in their lives (though new things certainly add their share!) At that age little ones are discovering that mama and daddy aren't all-powerful and at the same time they're becoming aware that the world is a big, sometimes scary place. That naturally makes for a certain amount of anxiety in a little person! Lots of cuddling, sticking to a predictable routine, and being in tune with their emotions so you can respond appropriately are things you can do to provide the stability, comfort, and security they crave at this age. HTH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->