laying on back? and babys position?

emeeorevan

Expecting Miracle #3
Reaction score
Can laying on your back too much really keep baby from turning head down?
I just read on the spinning babies website that slouching and laying on your back can encourage baby to stay breech or not turn, but if baby is head down already can laying on your back too much really cause baby to turn??
I still feel comfortable on my back.
I try to sleep on my side but I wake up and I'm on my back. My lo has been head down the whole time but now I feel she is turning. I feel little movements (like hands) off to my left down low on my left hip.

I slept in my back through my whole pregnancy and my baby never turned breech. And just to clarify I didn't go to sleep in my back I just always woke up on my back like you say you do.

I'm thinking they say it could cause that because it can, but what are the real chances?

I end up on my back a lot, but baby has stayed head down. As he has gotten bigger, I sometimes feel movement lower down near by right/left pelvic area, but it must be his hands/elbows, because they swear he's head down.

In fact, I can feel some hiccups right down there right now!!

I know they say avoid being on your back/slouched backwards too much if your baby IS breech and try doing things like getting on all fours to turn baby... In which case it does make sense that being on your back too much would make it more likely that your baby'd be breech.. Also when I first went into hospital to have my baby she was laying on her side, and I ended up spending a lot of time on my back being monitored and she swiveled onto her back..

Have you got a pregnancy pillow? I found that was really helpful in stopping me spinning onto my back while I was asleep..

For my babies, no.

I have never followee those guidelines, its humanly impossible with bad heartburn, bad spd and HG.

I sleep(and sit) in position best for me, some of stuff on spinninh babies i dont agree with.

I thought my baby was breech loads as only felt movement low turns out his been baby head, hands & arms haha

:shrug: I don't know about that.

I can't say anything about my first, as it was 12 years ago and I don't remember a whole lot about it. But with this one, I'd wake up many mornings laying on my back, or sometimes during the night if OH woke me up due to snoring, I would be on my back. My little guy has been head down for weeks now, confirmed at 36 week u/s and I've had two biophysical u/s (last monday and today), and both times, confirmed he is still head down.

My doc basically dismissed all of the "don't sleep on your back" stuff early on in my pregnancy. She said that your body will let you know if it can't handle that position anymore, and I don't think it has much influence on how your LO is positioned, either.

I don't believe that. I slept on my back a lot with DS, and he was head down from about 29w until he was born at 40w2d(he just never engaged) and the same with DD. She has been head down for about 2 weeks now that I know of, and doesn't show any signs that she's moving from there. I've tried to sleep on my side, but I always end up on my back during the night. I also have more issues with my RLS when I'm on my side, so I can fall asleep easier sometimes on my back.

When you're all saying "head down" are you meaning head near the cervix, feet near the ribs type thing? 'Cause I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure OP was referring to the baby being breech as in back to back, not the wrong way up (if that makes any sense!) Lying on your back regularly obviously wouldn't have any bearing on whether or not your baby was - for want of a better medical term - the right way up or not (ie. head facing downwards) it would only have an effect on whether the baby was posterior breech (back to back).

My doctor told me it was perfectly fine to lay and sleep on your back if you feel comfortable. The only issues he saw was with high risk bed rest pregnancies the fetal heart rate would drop when the woman arched her back to have the bed pan underneath her- so he advises not to arch her back. I never specifically asked about breech, but slept in my back my whole last pregnancy and baby was not breech!

I think it depends on your body and your baby. I slouched a lot with baby #1 , sat on a futon daily and ended up with horrible back labour because he was back to back. This pregnancy I was very mindful to always sit straight and, use a cushion behind my back if necessary-baby was in a perfect position. Ultimately, I would talk to your doctor for advice and see what they say.

I was reading about this last night funnily enough! I read a few place that sleeping on your back, slouching and long car journeys can encourage baby to lie back to back as they naturally roll into this position.

I do find myself on my back a lot, I drive a lot for work and come home and slob out!!!! My bump has gone squidgy which I why I was having a Google and now I'm paranoid baby has rolled from today I'm trying to be more proactive in my position.... It's hard though!!!! I ordered a ball to sit on on an evening.

Thanks ladies. I have overall good posture (probably the best in my family, even Prego lol)
I find I don't actually get much time to sit and when I do I want to lay on my back and watch baby move.
I was worried about back to back as well as flipping with feet pointed toward cervix.
I tried the spinning babies way to locate baby and her position but I just couldn't figure out what each nudge was. My little girl doesn't kick the way my boys did. M boys were head down (toward cervix, and head facing my back) with their feet always in my ribs! Seemed pretty common. but this little lady is hard to tell. She is all balled up in the center and lower part of my belly. She has not really kicked. I can't find her feet and Hands. I feel large knots overall and that seems to be it. So I assume she is facing my back with hands and feet facing my back most of the time as well, but I'm just not sure. She had a crazy night two nights ago and I think she actually did flips and now I really can't tell! Then yesterday she scared me as went 12 hours without movement and usually the minute I sit I get poked lower in my abdomen (like "hey mom, you're sitting on me") but nothing yesterday!! I even drank a soda to try to get her to move And she refused until I got home to lay on my side and drink so water then I finally was able to count at least 10 rolling movments (I think I actually got to 16 in an hour so that reassured me)
I guess she is just going through a growth spurt but every little thing can be scary at this point! Hoping for only 7 more weeks but have up to 9 more before induction (ugh!) and I really don't want to have to have an emergency section because I slept on my back too much and cause baby to be in an unfavorable position (even if it isn't possible I'd still be wondering if there was something I did wrong)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->