Lazy eater 6 day old, please help!

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a panic attack about feeding. My son is 6 days old and I had my milk come in 3 days ago. My boobs got giant, I got lots of lumps and worked them out during feedings but I have noticed over the last three days that my boobs are getting flatter and not really filling between feedings. This did not happen with DD, for whom I double-pumped every three hours since birth. After my initial engorgement they stayed huge and filled noticeably between pumpings. She was a very chubby, happy little baby and I had a great supply.

Little man wants to be fed only about every 2 hours, but he knocks out after 5 minutes of sucking. I have tried absolutely everything to rouse him--diaper changes, stripping down to diaper, tickling, burping, switching breasts, nothing will wake him. He seems to get tired after the initial letdown and won't even try to drain my breast.

I am so worried that I am going to lose my supply during this critical period if he doesn't start eating more. A lactation consultant told me that you build supply during a small window of time and past that window, you can't actually increase your supply. It was either 2 weeks or 6 weeks. I previously thought that, at any time, supply could be increased by cluster pumping/feeding but now I'm worried that I'm going to miss out on this critical supply-building period and won't be able to breastfeed my son :(

Hmmm...I'm not an expert, but i am quite certain your supply continues to adjust to your babies needs. Whether it be accommodating for a growth spurt, or decreasing due to introducing solids, it's definitely changing past 2 or 6 weeks. However, The first few weeks ARE important for establishing a healthy supply, especially if you have a poor latcher or sleepy eater.

For the first 2 weeks or so, My son had difficulty latching and whenever he did, he would suck for 3 minutes or so before falling asleep and stopping. So We pumped and bottlefed most feedings and used a bit of formula because i just wasnt able to pump enough (discouraging), but kept practicing with nursing. Eventually, after those first couple weeks things just sort of clicked and we got the hang of it. He is an expert nurser now and gaining weight very well.

As far, as engorgement goes, Id say its normal not to feel "full". Once i got past the first day and a half after my milk came in, i never feel engorged unless i miss a feed/pump (back at work now so that happens every now and then). If you are worried about losing your supply, just pump little more than your baby eats every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->