Leaving school at 14?

14 seems to young to me. I remember not knowing what I wanted to do at 14 At least GCSEs give you extra choices. Plus where are the extra jobs coming from when there are so many people out of work already. There are also quite a few jobs you cant do until your 16. I think schools would do better to offer more vocational subjects.

My hubby left school at 14 - more because it suited his dad for them to start working together rather than DH not wanting to be in school. So, he left and went straight into learning a trade/working with his dad and by 17 was working for himself which he did pretty successfully until early last year. He had a bit of a crisis because he realised he was 34 and working in a job he hated and never actually chose in the first place... it was like all of a sudden the reality of everything he'd missed out on hit home.

Lucky for him :winkwink: I'm very understanding and am happy to see him do whatever he wants (be it go back to school or whatever). He took about 10mths out of work (during which time he renovated a lot of our house) and is now working in a factory while he takes some time to figure stuff out and even though he is probably earning about 1/3rd of what he did working for himself I'm just glad to see him relaxed about going to work.

The sad thing of it is he's a really smart guy (I mean kinda scary smart) and would probably have gone on to uni and done some amazing things if he hadn't been allowed out of the school system at 14. It's just too young!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->