Left breast drying up?!

chelsnblake

Reaction score
My son is 4 months and is EBF. The past 2 days he's gone from eating 6-9 times a day to 12 times yesterday and already 7 times today, it's only 1:00pm here!
After I nurse him on my left I have to nurse him on my right before he goes down for a nap. I nursed him on my left at 11:15, fed him 50ml bottle (extremely rare I give him a bottle) at 12:15 and he's now nursing on my right!!
It just seems like he's not satisfied after nursing on my left anymore. Is it possible to dry up on one side??
I've tried putting him on my left more often to boost supply but I don't think it's helping.
Any suggestions??

Have you tried pumping from the left side? I spent 2 days having a go at pumping and woke up this morning looking like Dolly Parton! Joking aside it definitely stimulated the production. You'd also be able to actually see if there was a difference in supply between the sides.

I pump both sides every night for 10 minutes. I increased the pumping time on the left to 15-20 minutes. I get about 2oz from my right and then maybe 1oz from my left. My son nurses on the left for 1 hour before that though so I don't know if I can go by what I'm getting by pumping

Do you think he could be going through a growth spurt and cluster feeding?

My son is 4 months and is EBF. The past 2 days he's gone from eating 6-9 times a day to 12 times yesterday and already 7 times today, it's only 1:00pm here!
After I nurse him on my left I have to nurse him on my right before he goes down for a nap. I nursed him on my left at 11:15, fed him 50ml bottle (extremely rare I give him a bottle) at 12:15 and he's now nursing on my right!!
It just seems like he's not satisfied after nursing on my left anymore. Is it possible to dry up on one side??
I've tried putting him on my left more often to boost supply but I don't think it's helping.
Any suggestions??

You are probably not drying up, he is probably going through a growth spurt and you feel as though you are drying up. Keep letting him nurse and (try not to bottle feed) and your body will start producing the amount he needs. Also take a fenugreek supplement (found at vitamin stores), this will help keep your supply high and it is safe for you and baby:thumbup:

Do you only feed one side at a time? I did this in the beginning when I had tons of milk, but as it regulated I found both breasts eventually produced enough to satisfy him.

I thought the cluster feeding stages were over, however today proved different. He fed every hour!!!
I only feed one breast at a time. I used to do both breasts in the beginning but found he was super gassy and read up on foremilk & hindmilk and realized he was only getting whichever one of those is first- I can't remember. Ever since switching to one boob per feed no more gas!

I think if I was in your position I might try feeding from both breasts if you feel like he is emptying them, but it could certainly be a growth spurt.

Hope things get easier for you soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->