Leg cramp at night

Lollipopbop

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this?
I woke up the other night having a spasm in my calf, it was so painful and I've had it a few times since. I asked a friend who said she had got them when pregnant but I never did with my first. Anyone else?

I got them for a while before I got pregnant! When I asked my doctor she told me I have to learn to wake my self up when you first feel the tingle and slowly stretch your leg out, apparently the cramps are from moving to fast? Sounded bonkers to me, I hope they go away

Common in pregnancy. I didn't get them until third trimester the first time around. I've already had one this time. Magnesium and B6 can help. Hydration is a must.

Extending the muscle as soon as you feel it coming on can help.

Yeah I have had them with previous pregnancies, but I am prepared for it this time.

Magnesium.

I have magnesium oil which I rub onto my skin, and hopefully that should keep them at bay. What I did before this was to point my toes up, so stretching out my calves.

Yes I get horrendous lower leg and foot cramps! Never had them with my first so it was unexpected. It's awful!

Yes I get them a lot when not pregnant. As others have said, magnesium and b6 help.

Oh my god they are a killer! I had them through the 2nd half of my last pregnancy and they have just started again now. I can hardly walk the next morning as my calf muscles hurt so much. I have yet to find a cure but I share your pain x

I've had these in three of my four pregnancies. They are really horrible so I definitely sympathize. When I got them while pregnant with DD1, my doctor told me that potassium can help with the cramps. Bananas are an obvious choice but since I'm allergic, other options that I found were Gatorade and yogurt. I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade lately and it seems to have helped reduce the frequency of the leg cramps.

I would say to make sure you stay hydrated and keep your electrolytes up. Muscle cramps occur because you're dehydrated.

Have u tried compression socks? I have sleep compression socks that does all the way up my thigh, and they really helped me. They are a pain getting on though. I checked with my doctor first if I could use them.

Thanks for all your input guys! I'm glad to know it's common, not that I'm happy everyone's suffering though! I'm going to make sure I'm keeping hydrated, eating potassium and I'll look into the magnesium too! Thanks for all the tips

Oh my gosh, yes! I would wake up practically screaming from these, even when NOT pregnant. Here are my solutions:

1) Potassium. I try to keep bananas in my diet, and that tends to help.
2) Got this one from the doctor during my last pregnancy, and surprisingly it really does help. I had heartburn really bad and was taking a lot of Tums. He said to cut down the amount of calcium I was taking (so, stop taking the Tums). As soon as I did that, they stopped!
3) If you DO have one, or feel one coming on, point your toes immediately (at least try). It stretches the muscle and can prevent it or get it to stop sooner.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"