leg cramps

jeoestreich

Mother of 2
Reaction score
Is anyone else having horrible leg cramps with their pregnancy? I am. It sucks big time especially when I am sleeping. I didn't have them when I was pregnant with Delilah so this is a new experience for me.

Omg yes.
It will wake me out of a sleep and i wake up screaming like in a horror movie. The only thing that will alleviate the horrendous charlie horse is flexing (oh god) the muscle.

Hubby has to help me bc when they strike I feel completely immobilized in the leg it occurs in. It sucks.

A lot of the times it's due to a potassium or magnesium deficiency. Also try stretching before bed....

Oh how I feel your pain.

Yeah try drinking some magnesium (Natural Calm), twice a day. I've started drinking it once about noon and again around 6 or 7 and they've gone away completely. Also, a banana before bed can also help if your problem is a potassium deficiency instead of a magnesium one.

Also, when it happens, flex your toes of the cramping leg up. Helps it to go away so much quicker!

This happens to me when I stretch my legs early in the morning. Often I do it in the early stages of waking up so by the time I realize my left calf is already locked up and agonizing! I keep saying I'll use a hot water pouch but I keep forgetting.

I do flex to get them to go away. Last night, they woke me up twice. Ugh. My legs were crampy all day today so I already know that i am going to get tonight. :/

I had them with my first and they've just recently started with this, last time my doctor told me banana before bed and it helped tremendously. Doing it again and so far it's helping this time as well! Flexing doesn't help it almost makes it worse I just have to wait it out and try and massage it. The first time it happen it woke OH up and the first thing he said was "ARE YOU IN LABOR?!?!" It made me chuckle and feel a little better ^.^

Yes me too, I've only suddenly woken up with it once OH had a heart attack :haha:

I get these a lot, pregnant or not. For years I just suffered with the odd charlie horse first thing in the morning when I stretched too far, but I figured out a month or two ago if I feel one coming, flex your foot up towards you a bit. I have NO idea why this helps, but the cramp never materializes after I do that. I haven't tried this though in the middle of a full-blown cramp though.

I agree, they suck big time :( Sometimes mine are so bad that I feel the after-effects of one in my leg for half the day after.

Yep, they're horrible. I never get them during the day, it's always at night. I had an awful cramp a few weeks ago and I was limping for two or three days because my calf muscle felt all tender, sore and strained.

I usually get them as I'm waking. I'm half-asleep, move my leg - and then suddenly a vicious cramp starts. I immediately flex my foot up (bring toes towards front of calf) and try to rub the muscle with my hand. That helps a lot.

I sympathise because they're unbelievably agonising. I think the top tip is to spot them just before they start. I also drink plenty of water and have a reasonable amount of salt, and that seems to help too.

My legs still hurt. I am so ready to be done with this pregnancy. Not only did I have leg cramps but nose bleeds as well.

YESSS!! I remember them ouch. It only happened to me at night, and i used wake up and jump around the room because it was the only thing that got it away lol.

I've had these a few times before pregnancy, but the ones I've had recently have been a lot worse! The banana idea is a good one, I'll try this, thanks!😀

Yes, I had a few of those and they are extremely painful! Flexing your foot up and getting enough potassium and magnesium is good, but mine seem to have gone away after I started doing prenatal yoga. My back pain is also gone. Still have hip pain from sleeping on one side, though.

me! They are SOOOO bad. Sometimes at night i wake up with a stiff leg cramp and have to jump out to stretch it, or i will pretend like i'm riding a bike in the air because it helps to move my legs around and make them feel better.... DH always asks me what in the world I'm doing and laughs.

I had them with my last pregnancy and they disappeared right after birth. another thing to look forward to!

I am still getting them. At least four days a week, such a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->