Lentils, some advice please

charlie07

Reaction score
Hi all

lentils. ........ I've never cooked them or eaten them! All the recipes say red lentils but all I can find here (so far) are like a creamy colour. Are these acceptable or do they have to be red?

I appreciate your help girls xx

UPDATE - I've found nothing on the internet about why it is red lentils and not cream ones, so can anyone advice me as to whether I can use the creamy coloured ones please?

Hi - I'm not sure which lentils you have - I make batches of veg and lentils but they have been red lentils but they do turn a brown/ cream colour when cooked.
You can buy baby pasta but I think it's advised from 7 or 8 months- usually says on the packet. I used these up until Emms was about 10 months and had some teeth. The baby pasta disolves more easily and is easy to mix in with veg, cheesy sauce etc.

Sorry - you can freeze them as well - I tend to do some mince with chopped tomatoes, basil and cheese sauce with pasta and freeze in ice cube trays x

They are cream before cooking. There is nothing in English on the packet, so no other details. So I take it they have to be the red ones?

Just found the pasta stars so was going to try a new recipe with them. Not found baby pasta!

The other problem we have is that we can't get cheddar cheese, so am going to ahve to guess on the cheese choice!

Oh this is hard work!!

There are tens of different types of lentils, there's no need to stick to the red ones. Just make sure that you cook them well.

If you have any good ideas of what to make with them for the baby, I'd love to hear, too. So far I've just cooked them plain, frozen in ice cube trays and then mixed in with the usual veg. But I'm sure there are lots of ways to make it yummier for babies. I'd like to stay away from tomatoes, though, as I was allergic myself as a child and would like to wait a bit longer before giving it to him just to reduce the risk of allergy.

The ones i use are called 'split red lentils' they are sort of reddish in colour before cooking.

If you haven't cooked them before this is how you do it (well with the type i bought anyway)

1. Wash and rinse lentils in cold water.
2. Add to a large panand cover with cold water.
3. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 10mins, removing any foam with a slotted spoon.
4. Cover and simmer for 20-30minutes until tender.
5. can be served hot or cold.

They taste like chicken to me lol

Thanks girls. I have yet to find the split red lentils, just the creamy brown ones, so not even sure which ones they are, in fact after looking at photos, they could even be classed as Green!!!

One recipe I have is saute onions, carrots and celery in veg oil for 5 mins or until soft, Add lentils and sweet potato to pan and pour in water or stock (chicken or veg), bring to boil then simmer, covered for 20 mins. Puree in a blender.

I tend to use unsalted butter instead of oil.

I was also going to put them in other chicken dishes, but replacing the chicken with lentils.

Thanks girls. I have yet to find the split red lentils, just the creamy brown ones, so not even sure which ones they are, in fact after looking at photos, they could even be classed as Green!!!

One recipe I have is saute onions, carrots and celery in veg oil for 5 mins or until soft, Add lentils and sweet potato to pan and pour in water or stock (chicken or veg), bring to boil then simmer, covered for 20 mins. Puree in a blender.

I tend to use unsalted butter instead of oil.

I was also going to put them in other chicken dishes, but replacing the chicken with lentils.

If you're sure they are lentils, you'll be fine doing all of the above. I use lentils of all sorts of varieties at least two or three times a week. I love 'em. If it's for you (rather than baby), try frying an onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes and then adding lentils and stock. You could add a tin of tomatoes as well. Cook until the lentils are mushy (anything from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the variety) and you have a yummy lentil soup. (NOTE: If you're making it for vegetarians, make sure the stock is veggie!) Serve with yoghurt swirled into the soup and tortillas (soft or chipped) or lovely Bulgarian dark bread on the side.

Yep, they're lentils, OH is Bulgarian and he told me what to look for. Even looked in my trusty dictionary!!

Thanks for the info. Lovely Bulgarian bread with every meal, lol, just not good the day after :( Ah well, buy fresh and lovely again! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->