Liam Adam - Born on daddy's birthday!

Sweet Kisses1

Reaction score
Liam’s Birth Story

Thursday 25th February 2010

I woke up at 8.30 feeling rather odd, went downstairs to use the toilet where I discovered that I had had a show. I saw the midwife later that afternoon, who confirmed that it was a show from what I described and that Liam was fully engaged. I was booked in for a sweep for the following Thursday if labour hadn’t started.

Friday 26th February 2010

I woke up with a few itchy spots over my body and slight swelling and pain to the hands. By 8.30pm it had got worse, so we phoned the hospital who said to go in and be checked. When we were finally seen we were told I had had an allergic reaction to something and it was very common in the late stages of pregnancy. We saw Liam’s official due date in and were discharged and advised to see my GP if anything got worse.

Saturday 27th February 2010

After a bad night sleep I woke up and went to the bathroom to discover the whole of my face had ballooned and that my right eye was very swollen, the spots had turned into lumps all over my body and my hands were double in size. I called the emergency doctor who I saw at 12.20pm and was sent straight to hospital with concern that I had developed cholestasis a liver problem where bile transferred to the intestines is reduced. I was told if this was the case induction would be started. I was monitored and checked over and told I had just one symptom of this and to start taking Piriton tablets to see if they helped and it was an allergic reaction. I was to return if the swelling got worse or didn’t get better. I was booked in for bloods to be taken on the Monday to confirm it wasn’t cholestasis, with results returning on the Tuesday. By this point I could no longer use my hands to do general tasks and was left with little feeling and fingers the size of sausages.
BIRTH DAY – MONDAY 01-03-2010 – TUESDAY 02-03-2010
I decided to keep myself busy and do some housework. I had got my hopes up that the past few days meant that labour was on top of me, but still I felt absolutely fine and full of energy. If I tried to do what I did the day before I had my show then perhaps things would get going. I cleaned the house from top to bottom again, had a long shower, and painted my nails. When Tom got back from work we went to hospital for me to have blood taken to determine if I was suffering from cholestasis, then popped into town to pay bills and to Tom’s moms to pay for my Avon. When we returned home we dropped our stuff in and walked straight out the door again for a long walk over the fields and pond opposite. We were out for about an hour, popped into his nans and my moms. Come home, ordered a Korma from the Balti and relaxed on the sofa together.
It wasn’t until 9.30 that I felt my first contraction, although at the time I didn’t realise that this was what it was. I was in the bedroom with Tom when it happened and it stopped me dead in my tracks. It was a sharp pain all in the lower part of my bump and god it hurt. After 5 minutes I had another and this carried on for 30 minutes. Every time I had one the only way I could try and ease it was to flap my arms like a chicken, I must have looked like a right idiot. I couldn’t make up my mind as to whether this was it, so put off calling anyone. Every time I had a pain I was sure it was a contraction but as soon as it passed I thought it wasn’t. I decided to call my mom and tell her that something was happening and see what she thought, and she told me to call her again in half hour if things were worse. I come off the phone and went and sat on the toilet. The contractions stepped up a gear and were now every 3 minutes and doubled up with 30 seconds in between each. I remember feeling the need to push so did a couple as thought I needed a poo. When I wiped myself all pink stuff was coming out so Tom phoned my mom and she was round mine within minutes. At 10.30 I called labour ward who told me to give it half hour and call again if it was worse or leave it another half hour. I left it 15 minutes; the pains were now coming every 1 minute, so I called the labour ward again and had another contraction on the phone, they told me to go straight in. Slowly we packed the car and left for the hospital, sick bucket in foot well and baby wipes in one hand (don’t know why, I grabbed them on the way out). On the way to the hospital I just remember screaming in agony, it was so painful and Tom telling me to breath. When we arrived Toms mom was waiting and we started to make our way into hospital. By the time I got into the maternity corridor it was 11.30 and the contractions were thick and fast coming every minute. I remember Tom trying to take the pack of wipes off me and me screaming at him to give them back. Every wall was my rock; I lay up against them getting through each pain as it came. A midwife luckily was waiting for me and took me into a room where she tried to examine me. I refused to lie on the bed and she had to examine me standing. You should of seen her face, she looked up at me and said ‘Emma, your 10cm dilated, you’re going to have your baby now!’
Tom ran to get my mom, who was in the waiting area, and I was taken to the nearest room where I was told to strip and get into position to push. I was offered gas and air, I started puffing on it, but chucked it back at the midwife saying it was rubbish and was a burden. By this point I was begging to sit on the toilet so the midwife put a pot on it and said Liam could be born there if I wanted, but was moved into the main room a few minutes later as it was too cold. My mom came in and the pushing began, as I was hung over the back of the bed. At 1.10 my waters were broken by the midwife, she said they were bulging and Liam would come quicker if she did this. They broke onto my legs, there was hardly any and it was so warm, I asked how long it would be before Liam arrived, the midwife said 1.30. I was moved onto my back from my knees. I remember his head crowing and the midwife running warm water over me and I felt his head, the midwife told me to cough to get him out. The only time I felt I couldn’t do it was when I felt myself tear, but it wasn’t that painful. Liam arrived into the world at 1.20, I felt his head as he crowned and looked down as he was pulled out. He lay in between my legs murmuring, he was beautiful! My mom pulled the camcorder out and began videoing. I kept saying he isn’t mine, he isn’t mine. My placenta was delivered and we had skin to skin contact. I was told I had a third degree tear and would need to go to theatre. After I had been sorted out, I come back to my little man and my husband; I couldn’t believe they shared the same birthday. While I had been in theatre, Tom had fed Liam and had some bonding time. Tom’s mom, my mom, stepdad and Tom all sat and had tea, before they left at 5.00am.
Labour and birth is truly amazing. Yes it is painful, but for me it was the contractions more than the birth. It’s a pain I can’t describe, but thinking back now, it’s really not as bad as what I thought it would be.
I’m recovering well. My stitches don’t hurt and the tear doesn’t either. I had a catheter fitted too when I went to theatre, and to be honest, that was the worst part out of the lot for me.
Liam, well he is an angel. The love I have for him is out of this world. Every new thing we do together makes me well up, the first feed, the first time he looked at me, the first time he burped, the first bath. Having a baby is amazing. I will for sure do it all over again. But for now ill concentrate on him.
Liam Adam, born 02-03-2010, 1.20am, On his daddy’s birthday weighing 8lb 3oz.

Aww congratulations, what a lovely story! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->