Lilly's birth story

kayla1986

Reaction score
Our due date came and went and we were booked in for an induction at 4pm on Monday march 21st. We arrived at the hospital and my blood pressure and temperature were taken, these had to be done a couple of times because id worked myself up into a state and they were a bit high. Babies heartbeat was monitered for about an hour to check she was ok. At about 6.30 the midwife came in and explained she was going to insert a pessary that could be enough to make me go into labour if not in 24 hours they would take it out hopefully be able to break my waters and then put me on a drip to speed things up. This didn’t ‘hurt’ it was just a bit uncomfortable but I was glad when it was over, after an hour I was allowed to get up and go for a wonder so we went and got some food then walked around the hospital until about 9pm. I felt the odd little niggle but though it cant be happening that soon. Greg was meant to leave at 10pm but we sat and watched eastenders before he was asked to leave by then I was feeling little pains about every 3 mins. Again I got really upset and said I wanted to go home the midwife was really nice and said that it really wasn’t a good idea and I should sit with greg for a few more minutes and decide what I wanted to do. When she came back she said if I still wanted to go I could but they would have to take the pessery out and I would have to sign some paperwork to say I was going against their advice. I ended up staying hopeing that I would fall asleep and 8am would hurry up and greg would be back.

I didn’t get to sleep after about half an hour I felt like I couldn’t sit down and I was getting sharp pains every 2 minutes I left it until midnight then went and asked for some paracetamol again 30 minutes later I felt I couldn’t stand I just couldn’t work out what to do to make the pains ease the midwife gave me some codeine but that didn’t seem to work either. She wanted to check the babies heartbeat again and check to see how regular my contractions were she was worried I was having too many in a short amount of time. By 2am she said they were going to take the pessery out because I just wasn’t getting any rest at all she took it out checked me and I was 3cms. I was so dissapointed I remember saying there was no way id make it another 7cms it just hurt too much. The contrations didn’t seem to ease at all and they brought me down some gas and air it made me sick to start off with but once I got the hang of it and used to the drunken feeling it wasn’t too bad.

The next thing I remember is being asked for our home phone number because they wanted to get greg to come back I was worried it was because something was wrong but they reasurred me it was because baby was on her way and I needed her daddys support. I was taken up to delivery and I found that bit hard I couldn’t have the gas and air and had 3 contractions on the way they gave me the mouth piece to bite down on which did help. When we got up there I was introduced to my new midwife kim who instead of saying hello to I informed her I had wet myself and needed the toilet she assured me it was my waters and not wee but helped me to the toilet. I had another contraction whilst on there and begged her not to leave me I really did feel at this point that I couldn’t do it anymore. She helped me back into our room and the contractions kept coming she explained to me about how an epidural works but I said I didn’t want one. I heard a knock at the door and greg came in I felt relieved that he was there but realised even him being there couldn’t make it stop and this was happening.

Kim checked me again and said I was 7 cms it just felt like it was going on so long and I was getting tired I wanted to give up. We kept on with the gas and air until about 5am and I had some pethidine this made me really sleepy and until 6am I don’t remember much just that my contractions hurt and some seemed to last ages and I felt like I needed to push I was told not to just yet but I could soon, it got to a point though where it just happened I couldn’t stop it. Greg said he felt light headed and had to pop out which really woke me up I was worried something would happen and he would miss it but while he was out kim said that she thought my baby would be here in the next 10 mins which helped me to find some strength. When I started pushing it felt so good it was hard work but the actual pain went and I found myself wanting the contractions to hurry up so I could do it. It felt like a long time but eventually her head started to come out and it stung! It was worth it though because I knew it was nearly over. Greg was great and kept willing me on and I heard him say I can see her nose keep going then kim said she needed some help and the next thing I knew about 5 other people rushed in I was pushed back and my knees pushed into my chest and my baby was on me looking very blue. Her shoulders had got stuck and they were worried she wasn’t getting enough oxygen but she soon had her first very quiet first cry.

We were then told that she weighed 10lbs 3 ounces!!! She had been estimated to be 7 and a half pounds a few weeks before so it was a shock. I needed some stitches im not sure how many but kim said theres a few but to be honest having them wasn’t too bad I was glad lilly was here and was safe so that was all I thought about. After a cuddle and some tea and toast I had a shower and we were taken back up to the ward where we spent the whole day. Because of lillys weight they wanted to check her blood sugar levels before feeds by 4pm they were happy with her levels and said if the doctor was happy with lilly we could go home. Waiting for the doctor took ages but eventually he came to see her about 7pm then said it would take an hour or so to discharge us both in the mean time family came to visit and just as they were getting ready we were told we could go too. Bringing her home was amazing. Shes wonderful and I love her to bits.

well done on delivering such a large baby and with no epidural either. sounded hard though!

congratulations

Aww congratulations , big girl eh xx

congratulations, its amazing that u didn't need more pain relief. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back