List of things I will need to breastfeed?

WanaBaba

Reaction score
Apart from my boobs :haha:

I really want to make breast feeding work this time so I'm trying to clue myself up as much as possible and be organised and make a little bag of everything I may need to make it easier such as creams etc.

So please ladies what can I add to my list? Anything at all you think I might need or it would be handy to have?

And also any tips would be greatly appreciated too! Thankyou :flower:

I used lanisoh (basically lanolin) nipple cream, applied it constantly in the first few weeks. It really helped heal the damage from the first few days of learning latching, and kept them that way.
Maybe something like a kindle or tablet to keep you entertained through the cluster feeds.
Plenty of one handed food, travel mug for keeping your drinks hot.

Thats about it (for me anyway).

Heating/cooling gel pads are a lifesaver for me - use when you become enforced as your milk comes in and also handy to have incase of getting a blocked duct.

Breast pads obviously.

A feeding pillow? They are comfy :)

Thanks ladies, would you recommend a feeding pillow? As think there are quite a few types?

All of the above.
I jst used a regular pillow
lots of muslin squares nearby to catch the letdown if you are engorged and lo cant latch.
Breast pump if you are planning on giving lo bottles/expressed milk at all

I have a C shaped one which is really comfy :) it's a bit of a luxury item really as you could just use normal pillows but I find it nice & comfy :) x

Muslin squares are on my list :) I never used them last time as I never really knew what they were plus I bottle Fed so used bibs but this time I think it'll be easier to have loads on these lying around haha.
Yeah I'd like a breast feeding pillow as having a section so thinking it will hopefully make things more comfy :)

A few good nursing bras. I have more structured ones in the day but I liked the crop top style ones at first for during the night - mainly just to keep breast pads in place.

And lots of plain vests to wear under tops so when you lift your t shirt you don't flash all your belly!

I saw the title and thought "Um, boobs. Definitely need those." lol

I couldn't have done it without Lansinoh nipple cream. And recorded tv shows or movies. Also a wireless nursing bra as the underwire in my normal bra gave me mastitis. Breast pads help avoid embarrassing leakages.

But I didn't need a nursing pillow, I just use a sweater or normal pillow. I wear a lower cut top so I can just pop out whenever.

I saw the title and thought "Um, boobs. Definitely need those." lol

I couldn't have done it without Lansinoh nipple cream. And recorded tv shows or movies. Also a wireless nursing bra as the underwire in my normal bra gave me mastitis. Breast pads help avoid embarrassing leakages.

But I didn't need a nursing pillow, I just use a sweater or normal pillow. I wear a lower cut top so I can just pop out whenever.

Haha just pop out whenever made me laugh! I have subscribed to Netflix to keep me busy during feeds haha.

My bfing supporter said she had never told anyone to get a bfing pillow before but she advised me to get one and it is fab. I don't know if it's because I've got enormous boobs or what, I have to hold my boob the whole time I'm feeding Ella or else she can't get to the nipple and I was really struggling with back and neck pain trying to twist round and hold her and my boob. The feeding cushion has been a lifesaver!

Breastpads definitely! And someone to make you cups of tea :)

I didn't need a breastfeeding pillow to start with but when the numbness of the section started fading (and my lo got heavier!) I found I needed more support and for me normal pillows didn't work. I would hold off and try a normal pillow just incase its good enough for u. I have a widgey which I love, it's also great to use for naps for me!!!

Lansinoh, don't bother stocking up though, I've not even used half a tube as u only need a small amount and as u go on u use less and less.

Muslins! Soooo useful for everything! I have 2 colours, 1 colour for feeding/spit up (very windy sicky baby)/milky type things and 1 for nappy changes - (little boy so great for catching pee!!!! But also for drying before putting the fresh nappy on.)

Lots and lots of perseverance and make sure u know where/when ur local breastfeeding support group is.
Also read up on growth spurts, 3, 6, 9, 12 weeks. Once you know how they work and roughly when they are you can look out for the signs and it will help you get through them (baby feeds lots to make more milk) without reaching for formula or doubting urself.

Good luck, u can do it!

Becki x

I'm a little over one week in and I couldn't have made it without my natural nipple cream (called Boob Ease) as well as just using coconut oil......and the making sure they get enough air.

I'm head over heels in love with my nursing pillow My Brest Friend.....as in I don't think I could do it without it. I have back problems and it actually clips around you and makes keeping a newborn in the right position super easy. :thumbup: you feel silly being clipped in. But it rocks!

Just to add... Keep telling yourself it is completely normal to have baby at the boob 24/7!!!! It gets easier after the first 6 weeks for most people but don't compare with others, your baby might be feeding every hour or may feed for an hour and someone else may go 2 hours and/or feed for 15 mins, all babies are different!

Boobs, baby, nipple cream (cheapie supermarket stuff was fine for me but I didn't have any real nipple issues), breast pads - I definitely prefer nice soft cloth ones to nasty plastic and paper ones, DVD boxsets/Netflix/recorded TV shows (LOTS!).

I had a feeding pillow but found it more faff that it was worth, I tended just to cross my legs or use a normal cushion if needed. A travel mug with a lid can be a handy 'luxury' item if you want a hot drink while feeding LO.

While not essential breastfeeding items, I recommend a baby carrier of some sort (if you don't plan to baby wear longer term, something like a cheap Victoria Sling lady stretchy wrap is perfect, definitely don't get a Baby Bjorn or anything like that) and a bed rail if you might want to try co-sleeping and can't move the bed next to the wall.

Second the travel mug!!! Didn't use mine much to start with as baby slept lots (hubby was also home for first 6 weeks) but now I use mine permanently! Not just because lo keeps me busy but also if baby brain makes me forget about it it's still hot when I remember! :-D

Thanks so much ladies. Ooh I actually already have a travel mug that I ordered from boots when they were doing the photo deals which I've never had a chance to use yet so good to know that will come in handy!

Baby can be at the boob 24/7?? I didnt know this! I really need to do some more research I don't really know that much about breastfeeding! Which is prob why I failed at it last time round :(

I'm wondering can baby still have a dummy if breastfeeding?

There are definitely days when it feels like all you've done is nurse. Clusterfeeding is completely normal behaviour, though many moms doubt if they are producing enough. This is baby's way of increasing your milk.

Kellymom.com is a good resource.

I use a soother, but they can definitely mask the early hunger cues like lip smacking, rooting, and finger sucking. Crying is considered a late sign. So I would just offer it after he was done eating and satisfied but fighting sleep. Once he has it he puts his head to the side and closes his eyes for sleep lol. Many babes don't take to it at all though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->