List of things to buy for baby??What am I gonna need?

Melisa1985

Reaction score
I need DETAILS of things I'll need?
I'm having a baby shower and registering for baby stuff and I just don't seem to have enough things on there. I have the main stuff crib, stroller, car seats, bedding, clothes...etc

but let's be more specific and fill me in on what are you getting,what do we need? if you have your list of things that would be very helpful. : )

In all honesty, the list of things you 'need' when having a baby is actually pretty small.

Trust me, after having 4 kids I have weeded it down and you realise what's essential and what's a want. :)

ESSENTIAL:

Car seat
Somewhere for baby to sleep (bassinet, cot/crib, moses basket, co-sleep, doesn't matter it's personal preference)
Stroller or pram
In my opinion a baby carrier or sling is an essential because you can get so much done when you carry your restless baby!
Some onesies
some all in one gro suit type things
blankets or baby sleep suits
sheets
nappies/diapers
bottles and formula if you are not breastfeeding
bottle brush
steriliser of some sort
spare cloths of some sort for wiping up - thin muslin receiving blankets are the BEST for this.

In addition to these, I would add LOTS of those thin muslin receiving blankets like 10 or so, because they are so so versatile. Wrap baby in them (swaddle) to sleep, cover the pram to protect baby from the sun, lay your baby on them at home or out, use them as a change mat cover, wipe up spew with them, use the as a baby blanky - my son is almost 8 and still sleeps with his 3 blankys that were receiving blankets! they seriously have endless uses.

A few rattles or toys is nice, but don't go all out because they won't use them. Most babies will prefer the box the toy came in, to the toy itself. And formula tins and a wooden spoon can provide hours of entertainment for an older baby.

A good breastfeeding pillow support is handy no matter how you plan on feeding because your arms and back get sore and tired.

In my opinion that's pretty much it for the first few months. Anything else is a want not a need and THAT list is really endless. :)

Oh! Nipple cream if you are breastfeeding, something like Lansinoh, alternatively you can rub a little of your breastmilk onto your nipple at the end of the feed, and if you can spend a few minutes exposing your nipples to sunshine (sounds weird but it works!), it can do wonders for cracked nipples early on!

ONce you have everything you need, focus on stuff you think is cute like toys and clothes, but remember that there is every possibility some of those toys and clothes will remain new and never be used! :)

In all honesty, the list of things you 'need' when having a baby is actually pretty small.

Trust me, after having 4 kids I have weeded it down and you realise what's essential and what's a want. :)

ESSENTIAL:

Car seat
Somewhere for baby to sleep (bassinet, cot/crib, moses basket, co-sleep, doesn't matter it's personal preference)
Stroller or pram
In my opinion a baby carrier or sling is an essential because you can get so much done when you carry your restless baby!
Some onesies
sheets
nappies/diapers
bottle brush
steriliser of some sort
spare cloths of some sort for wiping up - thin muslin receiving blankets are the BEST for this.

In addition to these, I would add LOTS of those thin muslin receiving blankets like 10 or so, because they are so so versatile. Wrap baby in them (swaddle) to sleep, cover the pram to protect baby from the sun, lay your baby on them at home or out, use them as a change mat cover, wipe up spew with them, use the as a baby blanky - my son is almost 8 and still sleeps with his 3 blankys that were receiving blankets! they seriously have endless uses.

A few rattles or toys is nice, but don't go all out because they won't use them. Most babies will prefer the box the toy came in, to the toy itself. And formula tins and a wooden spoon can provide hours of entertainment for an older baby.

A good breastfeeding pillow support is handy no matter how you plan on feeding because your arms and back get sore and tired.

In my opinion that's pretty much it for the first few months. Anything else is a want not a need and THAT list is really endless. :)

Oh! Nipple cream if you are breastfeeding, something like Lansinoh, alternatively you can rub a little of your breastmilk onto your nipple at the end of the feed, and if you can spend a few minutes exposing your nipples to sunshine (sounds weird but it works!), it can do wonders for cracked nipples early on!

ONce you have everything you need, focus on stuff you think is cute like toys and clothes, but remember that there is every possibility some of those toys and clothes will remain new and never be used! :)

I agree! You will find that people will buy you clothes no matter if you register for them or not. I actually put gift cards on my registry as it was nice to have those after baby was born when I realized I wanted or needed things later on.

ESSENTIAL:

Car seat
Stroller or pram
Some onesies
sheets
nappies/diapers
bottle brush
steriliser of some sort

I agree! You will find that people will buy you clothes no matter if you register for them or not. I actually put gift cards on my registry as it was nice to have those after baby was born when I realized I wanted or needed things later on.

I 3rd this! But I'd add a little swinging chair that you can easily move from room to room and a play mat with activities over it for when you just need 2 minutes!

I would only add that a monitor is essential to us. I still use my daughter's every night. I might even end up buying a second for baby as I feel much happier being able to hear her if she coughs and to check she's breathing without going in and waking her.

I would only add that a monitor is essential to us. I still use my daughter's every night. I might even end up buying a second for baby as I feel much happier being able to hear her if she coughs and to check she's breathing without going in and waking her.

I agree with this. The breathing monitor was one of the best and most used items we purchased for LO. We still use it and it's just reassuring to see that they are breathing instead of going into the room every five minutes.
I also agree with the previous poster about the swing chair. This was essential for us. Our LO loved sitting in it from being a newborn and it really settled her and played lullabies too. It was good to have your hands free to do stuff.

I actually just posted a huge list on another thread for a bunch of preg girls there. I'll copy and paste here :) btw- When I refer to MARL, it is another b&b thread.

Hi girls! I've been compiling a list of all of our fav & 'must have' baby items! I was a ftm so I think this would've been helpful for me because I felt really overwhelmed with all the stuff you need! Of course every one is different but these are my top 10 items:

#1- Okkatots Depot Diaper Backpack.
This is the best thing I purchased, hands down. I cannot give this bag enough praise! It is pricey, but so worth it because you will need a diaper bag as long as they're in diapers and even longer if you use it as overnight bag for grandmas, etc. I love that its a backpack because tote style bags are annoying when you already have a purse and carseat, etc to carry. It is VERY organized & OH can wear it too without feeling 'feminine' The one I got retails for $89.99 but the bigger version is $110-$120. I scored and got mine brand new on eBay for $75. Here's a couple of photos of ours. https://www.okkatots.com/category/diaper-bags#more-info

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/mermaids84/DE1AF1EE-1C6C-4255-9C45-85EEB2D9AEC8-1227-0000012C4BA44128.jpg

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/mermaids84/4B4447C6-1036-4F84-B689-B0C120315226-1227-0000012B0D47C76C.jpg

#2- Miracle Blanket
This is a really simple, awesome way to swaddle. Had great reviews so we bought one from Babies R Us and love it. Sometimes she'll protest at first but this thing always got her to sleep an it's the ONLY swaddling method I found that they can't bust their arms out of so I only have to swaddle her once. She fusses for a few mins and then she'll go out like a light ( (especially if you add vibration/bouncing/swinging and white noise to the swaddle!) https://www.miracleblanket.com/

#3- travel system
Any good quality one will do. Ours is an Eddie Bauer from Target but any system where the carseat clicks into the stroller is great. If they're asleep, you don't have to wake them to go into stroller or back into car. Just click them in! This is the one we have: https://m.target.com/p/eddie-bauer-tr...n/-/A-13533329

#4- Motherlove Nipple Cream
A lot of the MARLs used this. I bought it on Heart's recommendation and I'm glad I did. Saved my nipples in those early weeks! A little goes a long way! its totally pure and natural too so you dont have to wipe off every time baby wants to feed like some others. I also used Medela shields. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007CQ726

#5- Dr Browns Microwave Steam Sterilizer Bags
These make sterilizing way less of a pain. If you are FF, pumping, or just want them to sterilize all the pacis they drop on the floor, these are handy! Each bag is good for 20 uses and you get 5 bags in each package. Throw the stuff in the bag with 2oz of water and microwave for 3 mins and voila! You won't want to waste time waiting for water to boil, etc! This is way faster and easier! There are other brands besides Dr Brown too but I haven't tried any others. We also use Dr Browns bottles and they work great. No big issues with gas but we keep gripe water on hand too https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0035LQNNE

#6- Babies R Us Scented Disposable Bags
These definitely make things easier! They come in a box of 250 and theyre great at masking poopy smelling diapers! We keep a bunch in our diaper bag and if you have to change at someone else's house, you don't stink up their trash can. They're also great for if you have to do a change in the car or somewhere you don't have a trash nearby because you can keep them in the bag without stinking up the whole bag. We also put her poopy or wet clothes in them when she has blowouts when we are out. There are also other brands of these I haven't tried.
https://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com

#7- Boon Grass Drying Rack
This is handy and its just really cute! This was another thing Heart recommended us. We use it every day. Here's a photo of mine (flowers are sold separately):

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/mermaids84/28B22F3A-4095-41A1-AB18-6460C480AE9E-1483-0000021C68CA197D_zpsb1772a88.jpg

#8- Happiest Baby on the Block book and/or DVD
We have the book and DVD. A lot of the MARLs use Dr Karp's 5 S's to soothe their LOs too. Good tips for a ftm. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/055338...dir_mdp_mobile

#9- Lansinoh Nursing Pads
Tried to do the cloth ones and be Eco-friendly but they were awful. I leaked right through those every time and ended up having to use disposables. Otherwise, id wake up in a pool of milk these are cheaper at target than the listed price on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000BYAG0

#10- a good waterproof matress protector for your bed
After B kept wetting our bed, spitting up breastmilk, or I'd have a let down after falling asleep with my boob hanging out, we went out and bought a matress protector. Our bed is a bit 'crunchy' now lol but better than ruining our matress with stains!

Those are my top 10 lifesavers! Here's some other 'honorable mentions':

As far as pacis go, Bay liked the Soothies and MAM 0+ month pacis but the MAMs stay in her mouth better so OH and I like those best. They have all kinds of different, cute designs on them too https://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com

She adores her fisher price kick & play activity mat with a piano by her feet to kick the keys and play tunes. She started using it around 6 weeks old or so and it entertains her for 20 mins or so which is great for me! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004V8VQC8

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/mermaids84/3F366C09-8841-4728-BB99-8F66737A6F19-1483-00000239B0CB2ACB_zps42de7053.jpg

She also loves her vibrating bouncy seat & will happily sit in it for a long time. She's been using this everyday and it allows me to do chores, eat, etc. started using around 6-8 weeks old. This is her in her bouncy next to her cousin

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/mermaids84/6C83D668-6CA7-4F2C-9B13-F01C2510141C-1483-00000239EA11845F_zps8014369b.jpg

We've had some success with white noise too. There's a free app on iPhone called Relax Melodies

We like the Graco Nasal Clear battery operated nasal aspirator. It gets the snot out better than the bulb but isn't good at getting out hard boogies unless you use saline mist first. A lot of the MARLs swear by the Nose Frida but I can't get past the idea of sucking Bs snot with my mouth! OH won't go for it either!

Also love our back of the door canvas organizers from Babies R Us. We got 2 and put them side by side on the back of the door. Space and storage are an issue for us so this thing is great. The brand is Koala Baby. Babies R Us makes their own now too but I'm not certain if they're as good. They also come in sage green and pink. We opted for the off white color. We store diapers in the top pockets and in the lower pockets we have one for bibs, one for socks, one for hats, misc, etc. https://m.buzzillions.com/x/mobile.dox?modelId=1392341

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/mermaids84/E883527A-1D9A-4BBB-BA34-89875DC03E58-1483-00000241E5A5F951_zpsc0e35619.jpg

Get lots of nursing camis if you plan to BF. I got 4 at Target for $20 each. I put a button down top over or something stretchy enough to pull down so I can easily BF without taking my long sleeves off since its winter.

We're using the pack n play with built in vibrating bassinet and changing table. The bassinet is good for up to 15lbs and we were going to get a pack n play anyways and I didn't want to spend lots of money on a separate bassinet that they can only sleep in til 15lbs (little did I know my girl would be a peanut and use it longer but some babies are born 9-10lbs to start!) so after 15lbs, we will get a full crib. We can still use the pack n play for years though without the the bassinet and changer that click into the top. Heres the one we have: https://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com

You'll want a hygiene/first aid kit too. I got an all in one because it was cheaper than buying it all separately. Unfortunately, most of these items are cheaply made. We got a Summer Infant brand one and its just okay. The brushes, syringe, and nail clippers were good in our kit but the bulb and thermometer were crap. I got the bulb from the hospital and took it home as its much better. I went and bought a better thermometer separately. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...-kit-pink.html

We have a swing. It's good but Bay won't sleep in it. She's only napped once in there. Some of the MARLs have found their LOs will ONLY sleep in their swings. I didn't want to leave it out because so many have success with them but Bay would rather sleep on my boob or in her carseat. We have found she always sleeps on car rides and often to get her settled when she's tired or cranky we have to put her in it and stroll, drive, or put it on top of the washer/dryer cycle. She loves jiggly movement so we always time laundry with her naps!

I also have a double electric Medela pump. It's the Pump In Style Advanced Tote. It works great and I would recommend it as well :thumbup:

ESSENTIAL:

Car seat
Stroller or pram
Some onesies
sheets
nappies/diapers
bottle brush
steriliser of some sort

thanks for this! :)

I think its already been mentioned but thermometer and other first aid bits are essential. You will need baby scissors/nail clippers too, bath thermometer, soft sponges etc.
We had a little night light projector that plays lullabies, LO still uses this at 2 years old to get to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->