List of things you should do before TTC? what would you recommend?

Stargazing

Reaction score
Hey :) what would you suggest to someone writing a list of things to do before TTC?? i'm working on mine and it would be fantastic to hear from you guys too! since you are already pregnant.. was there anything you did that helped you feel prepared, or that you wish that you did first??

On my list are things like; get all dental work done, sort out all my insurances, get fit, fine tune my eating, go the movies a lot, learn to meditate, start prenatal vitamins, keep a journal, build a vege garden, finish painting and decorating the house.

Anything i've missed? your advise is massively appreciated!

Thank you.

My advice to you would be to try and take a relaxed approach never put to much pressure on yourself. Just eat healthy and take pre natals. It's all about learning about how your body works when you ovulate and just everything about your body in general. Getting familiar with the ttc process be prepared for a roller-coaster of emotions also I could happen at the click of the fingers my first took 5 years now I seem to be super fertile <3 maybe look at YouTube videos, scout journals on here.. I wish you all the luck with your journey <3

Exactly what the previous poster said, you don't need to change everything about yourself. I didn't on all 3!! My first 2 babies was woopsies and I wasn't taking any vitamins, I smoked at the time and drank alcohol until I found out I was pregnant obviously. This baby was planned, and I still didn't change much, I did take folic acid and vitamin D when we started ttc, because it does benefit you and the baby. Obviously eating healthy is good anyway whether your pregnant or not, but don't go crazy because it still goes tits up when your pregnant. I find I eat weird things at weird times of day, just because of morning sickness I go with the flow. Just relax and take it one day at a time, but don't change much unless you feel you need to... if you drank as much wine as I used to, and things like that hahaha

I agree with the others. I think sometimes we aim too much for perfection and read/hear a lot on what you need to do to prepare and so on. I didn’t read one book or forum when we were trying to get pregnant or while I was pregnant. I just listened to my body which I think is he most important thing. If you eat a well balanced diet anyway. I wouldn’t worry about it. Just go with the flow. Do a garden and such but don’t do it just in preparation of being pregnant. You can still do most things you while pregnant that you did beforehand. Good luck!

Thanks guys! I supposed for me I like to prepare for things because it makes me feel more in control... but also I still have 18 months to go before TTC so I figure it would be good to use that time productively. Most of the things on my list I want to do regardless of kids.. i'm just witnessing some of my friends being totally ill prepared for pregnancy (not in good living or financial situations) and I want to avoid that if possible! :)

Hi. All the things u said are good, but sometimes its also good to have a prenatal check up. In some counties they are available. Check for any sexually transmitted infections, genetic checks for you and your husband to identify any incompatibilities, and any existing conditions you may be unaware of which could be important to know if you are planning a pregnancy.
But this is just an advice, some people dont worry about these things, but its good to know its available.
And 1 important thing, just enjoy eqch other's company, life whilst ttcing and with a new baby can be quite a roller coaster. Sometimes you kind of miss your old life. Just enjoy the here and now and have fun.

I agree with the other ladies about taking the more relaxed approach. I wudnt put to much pressure on yourself.

I did prepare a little bit but I didnt go to crazy
We decided a year ago we were going to start trying around Christmas. So I gave up smoking that was my first thing.
And then when It got close to us ttc i started taking Folic Acid and vitamin D supplements.
That's about all i did really.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Clearblue Digital Ovulation kits - especially if you are like me and there is simply no way you are going to "just relax" (some people can and that's definitely the best way to do it, but there is not enough yoga in the world for me to put conceiving out of my mind :)). Don't bother with taking your temperature, just follow the instructions on the kit religiously and make sure you get down to some action the first day you get the solid smiley face. Fuss free, stress free and does genuinely work.

I agree with the other ladies about taking the more relaxed approach. I wudnt put to much pressure on yourself.

I did prepare a little bit but I didnt go to crazy
We decided a year ago we were going to start trying around Christmas. So I gave up smoking that was my first thing.
And then when It got close to us ttc i started taking Folic Acid and vitamin D supplements.
That's about all i did really.

Good for you hun I quit smoking 2 years ago now, never smoked in previous pregnancies but went back a few months after baby was born Haha, I do use an ecig even now with 0% nicotine I know I shouldn't but that does help with the sickness as its sweet.

Even though I've not smoked for 2 years this pregnancy I'm craving it, and I love the smell which is crazy because I hated the smell even when I did smoke. Pregnancy is strange lol

Thank you everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it. I would like to do some genetic testing and fertility testing first as me and my sisters all have a lot of illnesses. I also have PCOS. So I would like to be as informed as possible. And as the previous poster said, some people (like me) can never take a chilled approach. It just isn't in my nature unfortunately.

People mentioned a lot of good things, don’t know if I have a ton to add as we didn’t do too much preparing beforehand. What I would say is if you’ve picked a date to start TTC (which it looks like you have), I would try and put it out of your mind as much as possible and enjoy the time you have with just you and your partner.

I was sooo eager to TTC, I wanted to start as soon as we got married, we ended up waiting about 2.5 years. I think I spent too much time thinking of when we would start trying/being so excited for a baby that I didn’t take enough time to enjoy life without babies. And I legitimately didn’t understand people who said that to me before haha. I was so convinced this was 100% all I wanted. Which it was! And I love my son, I love spending my days with him.

Howeveeeerrrr, there is something to be said about the simplicity of life without kids haha. For example; I rarely get to finish a meal before it gets cold, every morning is an early wake up, and I can’t even remember the last time DH and I went out by ourselves :haha:

Anyhow, like I said I wouldn’t change anything for the world, but I do wish I had enjoyed my alone time with DH before TTC, instead of being so impatient to start trying.

Hugs to you as you start your journey! Kids are a beautiful wonderful thing and they bring so much joy (and a bit of chaos :p) into your life :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->