LMP and US Dates Don't Match

aloha808

Reaction score
Hello,

Just looking for a little advice. After 4 failed IVF attempts, we were finally able to get pregnant naturally a few months ago. That sadly ended in a m/c. Baby stopped growing at 6.5 weeks and U/S could not find a hb. Had a D&C, waited one cycle and tried again in Novemeber. Low and behold, I found out I'm pregnant again.

Went in for an U/S on 12/11 which according to my LMP should've put me at 7 weeks pregnant. U/S however showed things to be a 5 weeks. OBGYN said it either means I ovulated late or baby stopped growing.

The thing is, normally I have a 28-30 day cycle. My LMP was 10/23 and I was expecting AF around 11/20. It never came and I tested with CB pee strip on 11/22 with a negative result. Took another test on 11/27 and sure enough there was a very faint +. Took again on 11/29 and got a darker line. Again on 12/3 with a very dark line.

So bascially, I didn't get a + test until about a week after my AF was suppose to come.

The U/S date of 5 weeks means I conceived on 11/20 which is when my AF was suppose to be here... I think that's what it means. And if baby was indeed 7 weeks and stopped growing at 5 weeks, wouldn't I have tested positive on the 11/22 test? But since I didn't test positive until a week later, then perhaps I did ovulate late and things are progressing as they should be? Goodness, I'm so confused.

I have a follow up U/S today and I'm so scared that another bean will have not grown or has no hb. I'm trying to find the strength to stay positive, but nothing has come easy for us trying to start our little family.

At the same time I also try to be realist. Is the writing on the wall and the enevitable is waiting for us today? Are we trying to hold on to false hope? If anyone has similar stories, advice or information, please share. It would mean the world to me.

I did not use OPKs so I don't know when I ovulated.

Aloha!

Unfortunately I had a similar thing happen to me on my last MC. I thought I was close to 7 weeks but ultrasound showed different, only 5 weeks. I had the same thing happen with the pregnancy test too...didn't show a clear line until a week or so after my period. However where our similarities end is my positive line never got darker like yours did.

So I would say there is till a chance that you are just really early on! Especially since you ended up with a dark positive line. Fingers crossed for you. :) Xx

I kno every woman is different but I will give you the details of my experience because we are so similar. My LMP was also 10/23. I have 28 day cycles always. I got a very faint line two days before AF was due on 11/20. I too had an early scan the night of 12/11 when all apps said I was 7.0 weeks. Baby measured 7.8 mm and had a 134 HB. The tech put me at 6.5 weeks. Because you received your 1st positive almost 1.5 weeks after I did, I would say it's highly possible that you ovulated late. That would put you about 1.5 weeks behind me so 5 weeks sounds about right. I'm a ftm so I don't know everything but we have so many things in common that I feel confidant in saying that there's huge potential for everything being perfectly fine in your case! Good luck hunny!!

I definitely dont think it sounds like all hope is lost. Based on when you got your bfp it sounds like you did infact conceive later than you thought. Bearing in mind i had very faint positives from 9dpo both pregnancies (so just under a week before af was due) i had actually found out i was pregnant at 3wks, 2 days pregnant. Basing edd on lmp isnt always an accurate way of calculating in. I hope the next scan shows lil bubs has kept growing, i will keep my fingers crossed for you xx

I have to agree with the docs. I think you just ovulated later than you thought. I hope your ultrasound went well today!!!! Keeping everything crossed for you

We just went to the doctor yesterday and the ultrasound put the baby at 6 weeks and 1 day. My last period was October 31st so technically, I should have been at 6 weeks and 6 days. We heard a heartbeat so we're hoping this little one sticks around (we had a miscarriage September 2nd of this year). The doctor said early on the ultrasounds can be off by a few days give or take for various reasons.

Thank you all for your comments and support. I haven't had the scan yet... need to wait another 5 hours, but I willl try to keep this updated.

@EarthMama - I'm sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing your story.

@ally - wow that is very similar! I hope my situation has a simlar positive outcome :D

We just went to the doctor yesterday and the ultrasound put the baby at 6 weeks and 1 day. My last period was October 31st so technically, I should have been at 6 weeks and 6 days. We heard a heartbeat so we're hoping this little one sticks around (we had a miscarriage September 2nd of this year). The doctor said early on the ultrasounds can be off by a few days give or take for various reasons.

Congratulations! I think that is great news, but I've read 5 days isn't too big of a deal in terms of dates not matching. It is considered quite normal. I'm so sorry for your earlier loss and I'm hoping that you have a healthy and wonderful pregnancy this time around. I know you will.

In my case, my LMP and U/S dates are off 2 weeks. It can be an ominous sign, but my only saving grace thus far is that I didn't test + until a week after AF was due.

Another things that I forgot to mention is that I haven't had ANY pregnancy symptoms. Perhaps a bit more tired, but I wouldn't be suprised if that's attributed to stress more than anything else.

The last time I was pregnant, I had sore boobs. I know it can be normal to not have any symptoms, but it really does help to reassure you that you are in fact pregnant and things are progressing... then again, with those symptoms, that pregnancy didn't turn out so well.

It's entirely possible you ovulated later, hence the mismatched u/s and lmp dates and the week late bfp. This is especially possible since you just had a miscarriage. I've had 8 miscarriages and it usually takes a few months for my cycle to go back to normal afterwards. As for symptoms, I've yet to have a pregnancy where I have 'in your FACE' symptoms. Mine are always so mild and come-and-go so often, I spend much of my first trimester worrying. And with each pregnancy, my symptoms have changed. So hang in there and FX baby snuggles in nice and tight.

What did they see at your scan?

Do they want you to come back for a re-check?

Just sounds like late ov and baby not quite big enough to show on a scan. Fingers crossed for you xx

@dairymomma - thank you for the support and sharing your experiences, and again, thank you to everyone for the kind words. I'm hoping that with the dates and what not, it does all add up and make sense.

@mara16jade - At my first scan they saw a sac with a tiny dot in it. U/S measurement dated the bean at around 5 weeks. My second scan is today in about 4.5 hours.

Any update?
I mc'd before my DD and when I got pregnant with her I knew something was different early on, but when I took hpt 5 days after my expected AF and they had no line. I didnt use opk's that time and so I didnt' know when it actually happened. I went in and had blood drawn and finally knew I was pregnant, but unfortunately I didnt get the hcg numbers. When I finally saw my Dr and had my scan my LMP said I was 8 weeks, but according to her scan the baby was just over 6 weeks. My DD is a tiny little thing. she only weighed 6lbs and she's still in the 5th percent for weight and 20th for height.
Please let us know how you are doing. we're here for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->