LO choking!

juliespencer9

Reaction score
Is it just me or is anyone else terrified of Lo choking on finger foods?:wacko:

My LO choked on water melon the other day, good job my OH was at home, I would have been scared to death! He just put his fingers down her throat and out it came! He was so calm!

Im so scared of her choking when Im on my own that i will not give her any finger foods!:cry:

Im going to book up and go on a first aid course:happydance:

I think a first aid course is a great idea to put your mind at rest, I keep thinking of doing something similar myself.

Was LO really choking (i.e. not breathing) or gagging? Gagging is completely normal until they realise not to bite off as big chunks and the only way they'll learn is to keep giving finger foods. With gagging, babies can sort it out themselves if given the opportunity and will bring it up, chew it again and swallow. Obviously proper choking is a different story.

We've had loads of gagging but no choking :hugs:

Are you sure she was choking? (not breathing, lips turning blue, etc) and not gagging? Babies will commonly gag, but this is part of their learning process as they move food around their mouths. Babies gag reflex is also a lot higher than an adults, so that they can learn. So food won't make it very far back in the mouth before it starts a gag reflex.

A first aid course is a great idea though :hugs:

ive had a hoking incident, i dont feel strongly enough for blw and the risk tbh, so im on purees pushed through a sieve atm , moving on to textures next week

We're doing BLW and so far we've never had any chocking. Plenty of gagging though!

First aid course sounds like a good idea. I always think I should do one

Like the others have said, are you sure it was choking and not just gagging?

We do BLW and my LO has only "choked" once but she still managed to clear it herself by time I'd got her out of the highchair. Their natural reflexes and defences are amazing and really can cope with a lot.

A First Aid course sounds great though and for future reference, putting fingers to the back of LOs throat isn't the best way to help with choking (gagging leave them to it). Putting fingers in their mouth can actually damage their mouth and push the food further back. Obviously we all panic and do what we think is right but it's something to bear in mind x :hugs:

Ruby gags lots on certain foods like raw apple pieces, but has never choked. For some reason I have never been worried about the possibility of choking, I know what to do if does happen, I don't give unsuitable foods such as nuts, and that's all you can do really.

ive had a hoking incident, i dont feel strongly enough for blw and the risk tbh, so im on purees pushed through a sieve atm , moving on to textures next week

Apparently babies are more likely to choke by doing purees then lumps then finger foods than they are just going onto finger foods. This is because of the learned tongue movements.

first aid course sounds like a good idea getting the food out with your fingers could potentially make the choking a whole lot worse

check out that website for what to do if baby chokes again it has quite a good guide
https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/safety/chokingguide/

im quite lucky to live with 2 first aiders otherwise i wouldnt have had a clue either but most important thing is to stay calm

I think a first aid course is a great idea to put your mind at rest, I keep thinking of doing something similar myself.

Was LO really choking (i.e. not breathing) or gagging? Gagging is completely normal until they realise not to bite off as big chunks and the only way they'll learn is to keep giving finger foods. With gagging, babies can sort it out themselves if given the opportunity and will bring it up, chew it again and swallow. Obviously proper choking is a different story.

We've had loads of gagging but no choking :hugs:

Im sure it was choking and not gagging as I couldnt see anything in the mouth so I thought it had gone down the throat!
:nope
Hopfully this will never happen again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"