LO to sleep in a travel cot OR labouring alone!! Mini rant!!

Mummy_to_be87

Reaction score
I have just been faced with a big problem and now I am starting to worry!!

My LO slept in her own bed until she was about 8 months old, I soon found out I was pregnant and the sickness and tiredness was getting the better of me so I started letting her sleep in bed with me as it meant she got to sleep and I got my much needed sleep as well...the worst thing I have done!!

My mum always said she was happy that when I went into labour that she would mind my DD, well we never spoke about it much but since I went to hospital the other night and my mum took my DD we have started talking about her routine etc and I passed a comment saying she sleeps in bed with me and now my mum is going off about her not sleeping in a cot. I have said I will try to get her into the travel cot so she is familiar with it but just havent had a chance.

Tonight my mum said if she doesnt sleep in a travel cot she wont take her as she is a heavy sleeper and her dog sleeps on the bed and she leaves the door open and she doesnt want my LO sleeping in the bed which I can understand but I feel like I have two options, one try my hardest to get her into a travel cot (which I know is going to be torture!!) and two ask my OH to stay at home and look after her while I labour alone!!

Just a mini rant but any advice on getting her to sleep in a travel cot or advice on how to labour with no birth partner would be appreciated :hugs:

I can understand where your mom is coming from but also think it a bit unfair. You could put the travel cot in your room and start there. :hugs:

I suggested for my mum to stay at my house but she said she wont co-sleep with my LO and she would have to bring her dog which I dont mind but LO still wont sleep in a cot anymore!

Have you any idea how long it would take to get her into a cot?

:flower:

I wouldn't wore about it. Sleeping in a cot a your mothers house is totally different than doing it at home. I bet she will do just fine over your moms.

I really hope so, but she hasnt slept in her cot in 5 months, should I just tell my mum she sleeps in a cot now and let her deal with it when it happens or try to put her into a cot now (might be best with the new baby coming soon) but have no idea where to begin :coffee:

Is she just over 1 years old? (looking at your sig) it shouldn't take longer than 1-2 weeks to get her comfortable in her own room. And you will be thankful once your new baby comes you will want to co sleep with her. I did the Ferber method with my daughter, put her in the cot when she is good and tired. Go in after 5 minutes to calm her down, show her you love her, lay her down again (leave lights off and try to keep in a sleeping atmosphere) I always said mommy loves you, it's time for bed sweetie. Then leave, even if she's still crying. I repeat it every 5 minutes for at least 30 minutes. Then I switch to every 10 minutes. The first couple nights it will take an hour or two.... Be patient. After about 4 days it should only take 45 minutes, then at a week it took us about 30 minutes... Going in every 5 minutes 3 times, then 10 minutes, then 15 minutes if needed
After 2 weeks baby would fall to sleep on her own without needing to go in at all. (we started this around 15 months with DD)

Tough one, you have a couple of options as I see it. Try her in the travel cot at home next to your bed pat and shush her if she makes a fuss, try this for next couple of weeks then you've done your best. Tell your Mum you have had her sleeping in the travel cot and hopefully fingers crossed she will be used to it for your Mum.

Another possible option would be to have baby at home, I know not for everyone, but then at least you wouldn't have to worry about her at your Mum's and your OH would be around to take care of her instead of you labouring alone :)

This being my first and not having any experiance of this, i might be a bit cheeky in saying this but.......

What about you agree with mum and get a travel cot for when you are in labour- and once your little one makes her opinion about sleeping in a travel cot known to grandmother (for example, granny isnt getting any sleep because i am going to scream like billyo! all night long :haha:) then maybe granny will relent and let her in bed after all lol..... :winkwink:

She can always put the dog off the bed, and shut the door! :haha:

Or worse case senario, granny stays awake all night trying to persuade your little one to sleep! lol

ok that might not be helpful....but granny would learn!

I think the real question is do you want her to continue to sleep with you after baby is born of the answer is no then you need to transition get to her room and bed. The ferber method worked in 3 days for us

I do agree that you'll need to decide what you want in the long term for yourselves and also what you are comfortable with doing (sleep training or not etc) to get there. If you'd like to keep cosleeping after next LO arrives then I see no reason to get her into a cot at home, just do it at grandma's for that night. But if you don't want her sleeping with you after the baby comes, then you can start now learning sleeping in the crib or bed or cot at home.
My LO cosleeps with us and she'll be staying with friends when I'm in labor who won't sleep with her but I figure she'll be upset either way about me not being there and then we'll all go back to cosleeping after I'm home so there is no reason to practice anything ahead of time.

Thanks once again for your advice, I know in the long term I want my LO in her own room in her own bed so I have decided to try the method you have advised as it will be easier for us in the long run, just trying to get it on track...I have been saying I was going to attempt it since 30 weeks and if I had of done it then I wouldnt be having this problem :dohh: I dont want to labour at home as I might be at risk of preeclampsia and might need monitored and I was a sucker the last time and needed an epidural :haha:

Tonight will be the start of sleep training...I will update how it goes tomorrow :flower:

Hope it goes well Hun. I'm in a bit of a similar situation. No baby sitter so either DD is there or hubby isn't. I've came round to it now and hopefully he can be there for delivery but if not its no longer a massive deal.

Good luck with the cot thing, do you think a bed may be easier to get her into rather rather her cot.

Is she just over 1 years old? (looking at your sig) it shouldn't take longer than 1-2 weeks to get her comfortable in her own room. And you will be thankful once your new baby comes you will want to co sleep with her. I did the Ferber method with my daughter, put her in the cot when she is good and tired. Go in after 5 minutes to calm her down, show her you love her, lay her down again (leave lights off and try to keep in a sleeping atmosphere) I always said mommy loves you, it's time for bed sweetie. Then leave, even if she's still crying. I repeat it every 5 minutes for at least 30 minutes. Then I switch to every 10 minutes. The first couple nights it will take an hour or two.... Be patient. After about 4 days it should only take 45 minutes, then at a week it took us about 30 minutes... Going in every 5 minutes 3 times, then 10 minutes, then 15 minutes if needed
After 2 weeks baby would fall to sleep on her own without needing to go in at all. (we started this around 15 months with DD)

^^ we did this at 13 months, but it only took my LO 2 nights to settle and now he sleeps 12+ hours a night. It's totally your choice but I would start now because it would be so much easier for you to have her in a routine of sleeping on her own before next one arrives. Have you tried her in her own room? My LO co slept for 10 months and then slept next to me in the cot which didn't work very well. As soon as he was in his own room he slept soo much better.
I can see where your mum is coming from, I wouldn't cosleep with someone else's child and at least she is thinking of it from a safety point of view!

Edit: just see your last reply! Good luck xx

I appreciate where your mum is coming from. My friends daughter co-slept and as a result found it very difficult to get an overnight babysitter etc. I bought a camp bed for my spare room and she slept in it no bother when she was 2. There was no way I was willing
Whilst there is a good chance your daughter will adapt in your mums house, I think for your own good when baby arrives you should be getting her into a travel cot /own bed now. It may not be easy but it certainly won't get any easier the further along your pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->