Lochia

bebedreamr

Reaction score
Hi all! I am 8 days pp and had suffered a retained placenta resulting in a postpartum hemhorrage following the birth of my son. I had Surgery to remove the placenta and clean out my uterus, so the first week my bleeding was minimal. The last few days I had hardly and lochia, I have literally been in bed with baby, but I keep having episodes of gushes of blood with some clots. My MW says its normal, but I'm terrified of hemhorraging again or having a uterine infection. I feel very out of control when it comes to my body right now! And I literally have been in bed doing nothing for 8 days. I'm about to lose my mind.
Has your lochia come and gone like this? Are there any other PPH sufferers out there who have overcome this fear?

First off, I'm sorry you had a hemorrhage :hugs: Lochia seems to range wildly depending on who you are. Personally, I have gone from minimal bleeding to some ridiculous gushes at 1 week pp, 4 weeks pp and 6 weeks pp with both of my babies. No one could explain why, and I'm still not sure this is normal but in the end I was ok and eventually it did stop (8 weeks for first baby, 13.5 weeks for my second). I've heard there is a "hormone dump" at 7-8 days pp so this may be what your experiencing.

Since you had a hemorrhage due to retained product I would keep a close eye on it. If the bleeding is picking up or you are filling more than one pad per hour I would suggest asking if you could get an ultrasound done (for peace of mind) to make sure they didn't leave any leftover product.

I know it's the worst feeling when you feel like you have no control over your body-I really hated that. Hope your bleeding stops soon:hugs:

The gushes may be coming from you being in bed and horizontal for long stretches.

I think because you already had surgery, that by now all of the 'extra' stuff should be out of there. It will probably take a while to heal - and I agree, that the gushes are more likely to occur when you get up from sitting/lying down for a longer period of time. The point of concern is completely soaking through/ filling up a peri-pad every hour. Be extra cautious to not over-exert yourself. Sometimes I know I feel guilty just for getting up to make lunch - but certain activities are not avoidable. TAKE CARE :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->