Logistics of BF lying down?

zorak

Reaction score
Hi,
So I tried BF my baby lying down but it just seemed a logistical nightmare. I was on my side and we were belly to belly. I always have to wind him mid feed or he gets sicky so had to sit up for that, then I had to roll over to my other side so had to sit up for that. It felt more tiring than just being sat up, am I doing something wrong? Does everyone else not wind their baby after BF? I always have and feel like he needs it to be comfortable.

How old is your baby? When my LO was really little, the side-by-side BFing position just didn't work for us. For some reason her latch was really uncomfortable that way, and then we also had the spit-up and burping issues you mentioned. All of those problems went away once she got bigger, though, and now lying down has been my position of choice for a long time.

I don't remember when I stopped burping her, maybe around 3 months? Because of her reflux I had to put her upright after feeds and usually the gas would just come up on its own.

He is only 5 weeks old. Latch is perfect it is just the wind that is a problem.

I think I started laying down with her at about 6 weeks.
How I do things is lying on my bed, put a receiving blanket down for drips, and put her down. I prop my head up with my arm and latch her, and then lower my head down. I only feed off one side per feeding. If it's daytime we play for a few mins when she's done and then up for a burp. If it's nighttime (we bedshare), she's usually dream feeding so I just pop my boob out and put her soother in and she doesn't wake. No burps at nighttime. It doesn't seem to bother her.

It was tough at first but after a few tries she started pretty much doing the latching all by herself, I just kinda point the boob in her direction lol.

There are a few good videos, on YouTube I think. Google it maybe. It was hard for the first little while but I would stick it out. It's so easy to nurse her now and I can sleep thru it at nighttime.

Mine is 5 weeks. It's not working for us yet as she's always sick when lying down feeding. Gonna wait til she's less gassy

It took a while for my bubs to get the feeding lying down thing too. Don't worry it will come :)

I can tell when he's getting ready for a nap so I tend to do it then, that way I can just break the suction, hop of the sofa or bed and no need to disturb him and he doesn't need burping!

Laying down only last 6-8 week has worked since lo doesn't reli need much burping.

Your not alone... Laying down is a time thing I think

i agree with what everyone has said..it will happen in time :)

i didn't nurse lying down until DS was probably 3-4 months old and even then i still sat up frequently.

When my DD2 was born I wanted to feed her laying down right away as that is what I had got used to with feeding DD1 (as an older baby)

I was really irritated to discover it didn't work right away and took a few weeks - maybe 4? For her to be big enough to cope with it.

I never wind babies at night once we feed laying down, I found it created less wind. My bed sheets do get quite pukey though, I am fine with this as long as I get to sleep!

I have done lying down feeding with Millie since birth. Just lie her next to me on her side and feed :shrug:

I never burp at her bedtime feed or during the night, no need for my LO. She feeds lying on a muslin in case of sick (and she spits!! dirty girl :haha: ) !

I have nursed lying down since he was born. Never burped him during the night as didnt want to wake him up, never had issues with it. If your baby still needs burping it may seem more difficult to lye down, but its si worth it long term, especially at night time:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->