Long AF after M/C

nowmarried

Reaction score
Hello ladies

I had a MC at the end of Jan when I was approx 7-8 weeks. I had the medical treatment rather than a D&C and bled for quite a few weeks (5-6).

I've just had my first proper AF since the MC and it started on 2nd April. I had approx a week of a usual AF but since then, I've still been bleeding a bit (noticable when I wipe and slight spotting on a pad, sorry if it's TMI!), so it's been going on for nearly 2 and a half weeks now. I've never had an AF for that long.

I had to go to my GP last week as I've been diagnosed with anaemia, so I mentioned the long AF to her then. She didn't seem overly concerned and just said to monitor my cycles for 3 months and come back if it's still a problem. She said it is very common for women who have had MC for their AF's to be all over the place to start with.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this? I know the GP said not to worry but it's really starting to play on my mind, it's as though it's never going to end!!

Thanks xx

I wouldn't worry about it. My doctor told me that the first AF could be really different than usual, like really heavy/long or really light/short. Haha It's kind of like a not-so-fun surprise I guess.

Been there, done that - around five months after my ectopic I started bleeding heavily and it lasted two months - it was a scary and upsetting time, especially as I thought things were just getting back to normal. That was a year ago and since then I have been totally irregular and have kept a diary of all the bleeding - often bleeding for around 18 days a month on and off. It has only been in the last two months that things have started to get almost back to normal.
My advice is get some iron tablets to stop the anemia and if the bleeding continues the doctor can prescribe Noristerone, which is very good if you take just two a day but made me sick when I took three a day.
The doctors didn't seem very concerned about what was happening to me - I looked into it and unusual bleeding and periods are the number one gyno complaint for women. I know it is difficult but try not to worry - it will stop eventually. :hugs:

My first AF after my D&C was 34 (!!!) days. For the 2 months after that it was also longer by an extra week or so, but did actually stop before the next one arrived. After that I went back to pretty much normal (though I did skip ovulation one month).

Thanks ladies! You've definitely made me feel better. I've got iron tablets that the doctor gave me when I went last time, and have been taking them for about a week now, so hopefully that will start to sort the anaemia out.

I'm hopeful that my AF might be on it's way out (fingers crossed!) It seems to be stopping, so it will have lasted 3 weeks! Now, finally we might be able to get back to the baby making!!

Thanks again ladies, you don't know how much you reassured me!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->