Long and Irregular Cycles?

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
While, theoretically, Paragard shouldn't change cycles since it's not hormonal, it just really seems to be the case for me (and after googling, it seems I'm not the only one who has struggled with this, but it doesn't seem to be very common).

Without being on hormonal birth control, my cycles are typically 31-32 days. When I went off the pill (Loestrin) before trying for my daughter, my post bcp cycles were at 36 days and worked down to 32 within 3 months.

Once going off the mini pill it took about 6 months for my periods to regulate to 31-32.

After having my son I went on another pill (can't remember the name, but it was similar to loestrin). I went off that in January and was down to a 34 day cycle by the end of March when I got paragard in.

Once paragard was in, my cycle days went to 40, 46, and 41. I got it removed August 29 (CD 32) and am now on CD 46.

I feel kind of hopeless knowing that there really isn't anything I can do about this. We were wanting to try this month, but the way my cycles fell with them being so long would put us early October -- at the earliest provided I eventually start and if I'm even ovulating. I don't feel we can really go much further out than November. I haven't been stressing over this so as I just don't think I'll get pregnant either way, but we're still hoping to try at the very least.

Any suggestions?

No advice, I'm sorry. But I have irregular cycles too, usually between 32-37 days. I had a 50 day cycle before getting pregnant again. I'm still waiting for another period after my miscarriage.

Temping helped me at least narrow down when I did O when we were trying for our LO. I've started temping again so I can at least have a hint of when af may show.

I'm sorry for your loss, Mrs Dragonfly :hugs:

Where your cycles always irregular? Hopefully temping will help. I absolutely hate being taken by surprise.

I've considered trying to temp again. I did, but only briefly right before my daughter. In actuality I really don't think I can count it too much as I started later in my cycle just to try and get into the habit, but my second morning in I had a temp spike, so it turned out I started recording temps just a day or two before ovulation.

I'm not sure how that'd work out now with my schedule as I get up at different times (and need to take advantage of the times I can sleep a little later).

My husband says that it's because I'm already pregnant which follows immediately by some major eye rollage :laugh2:

It doesn't help that I'm in my OB clinical rotation at school, so I've had some days (and a couple more days coming up) being around newborns. Like a day or two old newborns that just make me melt :cloud9:

I just really hope my body sorts itself out soon. TTC or not, I hate it.

Thank you, my cycles have always been irregular. It took us a year to conceive our daughter so it was a major shock to catch the first time with this last. I started temping after the bleeding stopped, so I'm sure fertility friend is confused with what to do with the info since I haven't counted in a period yet.

I love it when the other half shows that their hopeful too. :hugs: I hope your body figures things out soon, it's rough. It must be hard being around tiny newborns for your school, holding tiny squishes is so nice though! :cloud9:

Hi Ladies, i totally feel your struggle. i was on depo for a while last year i got off it in feb. i had a period in april and then nothing until july. and then yday AF showed up :happydance: which was cycle day 69. I heard about vitex and maca and i started using it last week. its not a hormonal herb it works to stabilise you hormones so you can do a research on it coz i think it worked form me.

i am hoping my cycle stabilises here on so i can actively start TTCing.

wishing you all baby dusts.:dust::dust:

Thank you, my cycles have always been irregular. It took us a year to conceive our daughter so it was a major shock to catch the first time with this last. I started temping after the bleeding stopped, so I'm sure fertility friend is confused with what to do with the info since I haven't counted in a period yet.

I love it when the other half shows that their hopeful too. :hugs: I hope your body figures things out soon, it's rough. It must be hard being around tiny newborns for your school, holding tiny squishes is so nice though! :cloud9:

Is it easy to use fertility friend? My schedule is usually very busy, but I'm thinking if it's easy enough to work with I may end up trying it out. I'm considering temping again. I really don't want to, but if I can at least get an idea for things. I may have to just set an alarm to do it at the same time each day, but then go back to sleep when I can. Don't you have to have so many hours of sleep before you temp? I think I remember reading something about that. In that case I need to work on sleep lol

I absolutely loved being around the newborns. I see them again next week and absolutely cannot wait. The days that I was there, I would text my husband afterwards and just be like "omg! babies!" :laugh2: Oh I do love a newborn cry!

It's actually kind of strange with my husband being like this. It's not him. He came to me. I figured we were done and was reluctant to believe him when he said he wanted to do this. I'm still trying not to get my hopes up, but he keeps coming to me and saying we should try even though I tell him it's pointless right now since my body is out of whack.

I hope things start for you soon, too. I think it just makes it hard knowing that it's not within your control to get things started, and you just have to sit around and wait.

Hi Ladies, i totally feel your struggle. i was on depo for a while last year i got off it in feb. i had a period in april and then nothing until july. and then yday AF showed up :happydance: which was cycle day 69. I heard about vitex and maca and i started using it last week. its not a hormonal herb it works to stabilise you hormones so you can do a research on it coz i think it worked form me.

i am hoping my cycle stabilises here on so i can actively start TTCing.

wishing you all baby dusts.:dust::dust:

Yay for it starting! How much are you taking a day and when? I read somewhere 1,000 mg in the morning though I'm not 100% sure. I've read conflicting things about safe to take while pregnant, not safe to take while pregnant, but take for the whole month. I've read on here to take up until you ovulate. It's so confusing!

I'm considering taking it out of desperation lol but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. I just checked to see if it interacted with any meds I'm taking, and fortunately it doesn't, so I definitely want to order some.

What brand are you taking?

I will need to go off of a couple of meds before ttc, but I'm not going to put myself through torture until I know that conceiving is even a possibility. Once I start my next period I'll go off. It'll be hard to not be on them during pregnancy, but the end result will be worth it. But if my body just says "screw you" and decides to not have a period for a few more months, I don't want to be without.

TMI... but I've started doing cervix checks again. That's really helped me in the past in having an idea where I'm at in my cycle whether ttc or not. Since I haven't had a period in awhile and am not sure where my cycle is at, I can only guess. It's been low, but it was softer a week or so ago. Last night it felt like the tip of a nose, so I'm hoping that at least means it's going through the appropriate changes and will hopefully be starting soon.

Hi Spunky84. So i am using Natures way. 1200mg of vitex and 1500mg of maca. i got most of my info from natural fertility info. it says the recommended quantity. so your not supposed to use it while on other medication eg clomid. its pretty safe as it does not have any hormones but helps your thyroid function properly which then balances out your hormones. it also says its safe to use in pregnancy and that it should to be stopped cold turkey. you can send an email to natural fertility info and explain your cycle to them. they will respond in lik 48hrs. hope this info is helpful. i plan to use OPK to know if i ovulate or not. will keep you ladies posted. be safe.

Tyt - Great to hear af showed up! I hope the supplements help, I'll have to look into those :thumbup: I hope your cycles sync up and making ttcing better, loads of baby dust!

Spunky - I use the app on my phone and just go into every morning to put in my temp. If I think of it, I'll put in what my cm is doing or put a note on the apps calendar of how I'm feeling that day, but most of the time it's just adding my temp. I think you're right about the amount of sleep but I say screw it. I'm doing my best and get it within half an hour of the same time everyday :shrug: it's worth a shot.

You never know, even with your body being out of wack miracles happen :hugs:

Hi Spunky84. So i am using Natures way. 1200mg of vitex and 1500mg of maca. i got most of my info from natural fertility info. it says the recommended quantity. so your not supposed to use it while on other medication eg clomid. its pretty safe as it does not have any hormones but helps your thyroid function properly which then balances out your hormones. it also says its safe to use in pregnancy and that it should to be stopped cold turkey. you can send an email to natural fertility info and explain your cycle to them. they will respond in lik 48hrs. hope this info is helpful. i plan to use OPK to know if i ovulate or not. will keep you ladies posted. be safe.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I'll definitely send them an email to see if they can help at all.

Have you used OPKs a lot before? I've considered it, but I'm overwhelmed by the idea of them, especially as far as when to start using them, for how long, etc.

Spunky - I use the app on my phone and just go into every morning to put in my temp. If I think of it, I'll put in what my cm is doing or put a note on the apps calendar of how I'm feeling that day, but most of the time it's just adding my temp. I think you're right about the amount of sleep but I say screw it. I'm doing my best and get it within half an hour of the same time everyday :shrug: it's worth a shot.

You never know, even with your body being out of wack miracles happen :hugs:

Are you using it now? Apparently I signed up a very long time ago! I added one cycle in 2009 and the one other cycle in 2012. I'm still trying to find my way around and figure out what I'm doing.

I think I'm going to start temping tomorrow. If it can at least clue me in a little. Even if things are stagnant right now, maybe (unlikely) I'll ovulate at some point and will at least be able to identify it. If not then I can at least know, or have an idea, that I'm not so won't always be left wondering.

TMI: I had my hopes up yesterday evening (well, I guess maybe 5 hours ago as it's just now almost 2 am). I actually had a smidge of (brown) spotting. Like just a smidge on my liner and even less on toilet paper. I know that'd indicate old rather than new, but I was still hoping it'd be the start of something. Nothing since. I'm bummed. Today is CD 53. I really wanted it to be the start of something. The longer I go the more discouraged I get, making it more and more unlikely it's going to happen. We can try again in a couple of years provided I get a job pretty quickly next year and can get settled in.

Hi Ladies, here is my update so far. on CD12 i got a +ve OPK :happydance:. however my CM was sticky/creamy :sad2: which is not good at all. i may have to purchase preseed for my next cycle.

i also found out from another chat that a +ve OPK does not really mean you ovulated. Crazy stuff yeah. Baby dust to everyone.

Hey ladies, hope you don't mind me joining in here! I just stopped BCPs after being on them for 10 years as my DH and I are finally ready to start TTC! I am now on CD 50 after my withdrawl bleed from the pill and no signs of AF. I have been testing weekly with all BFNs! I have been temping too with no clear signs of ovulation. I am just waiting it out as I know cycles can be pretty irregular after coming off BCP. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->