Long distance move, advice please!!

misshopefull

Reaction score
At the end of the month/start of September we will be relocating from Essex to the North East of England :happydance:

We are moving into a house owned by a family member and it already has white goods, fitted wardrobes and a sofa. The big stuff we will be moving is two beds, a sideboard, kitchen table, coffee table and toy box. We also have loads of clothes, toys, etc. . .

As it is a around a 6 hour drive and we have 2 young children we need to move it all in one go and this is my problem!

Has anybody been through this and got some advice? Did you hire removers? Or did you hire a van and do it yourself? Where did you find long distance removers/van hire? How much roughly did it all cost?

Any advice would be welcome! Thank you :flower:

We moved from Liverpool down to Essex 2 years ago, same sort of stuff was moved as you, we did look into a removal company and they quoted us £900 but due to distance then weather they upped it to £1200 a week before, so we told them to sod off, OH's brother borrowed a van it cost us petrol and a bottle of JD :D

We were lucky enough to have OH's mum take Lucas for the weekend, we came down during the week dropped him of signed everything.

If you can I would reccomend a van hire if you both drive one can do that one the car, purely do the cost of the removal company, we looked on yell and found one local, they came round assesed about a month before we needed them.

Thanks for the advice. We are moving from Westcliff :winkwink:

Did you manage to move everything in one trip?

I don't drive [i'm learning!] but I am trying to get my mum or brother to come down to drive our car so OH can possibly drive a van :flower:

Funnily enough we moved to Westcliff!

Yeah we managed in one trip, it was a pretty large van though, I think we took a few bits and the hoover/cats in the car so we could have a wizz round once they had gone with the van :flower:

Removals cost us £500 for a 20 mile trip, can't help any more than that I'm afraid but they did an amazing job can't of having to of done it ourselves!

We moved 200 miles and a local removals firm charged us £1460 (with packing) they did the move and we travelled down separately. DH and I actually went over and did the unpacking, then I had to come back for one more week of work so by the time LO and I moved there it was all unpacked, I'll do that again next time, nice for LO to see his room all set up.

I move from Tamworth to North west its about 130 miles my ohs dad drove a hired van cost us the fuel and van hire so was £160 :)

We'll be moving about 20 hours crosscountry sometime next year. I'm thinking about trying the pod thing. Do you have that there where you pack basically a shipping container, then they lift it onto a semi and cart it to your new home and leave it in the yard again? It seems much easier than packing a moving truck and you can take longer to load it up/ unpack it on the other end and don't have to worry about driving a big silly truck. We'll have 3 cars to move there though, so DH will drive one now, then he'll have to fly back one way when we get ready to move everyone and drive one of the cars back while I drive the other.

I guess with hiring a van you might need to do it through a national company so you can pick up and drop off and different locations otherwise you'll have to drive the car and van back to Essex and then drive the car back up North.

x

Thanks for all the advice. We have just booked a van that my brother is going to drive for us so OH can drive our car.

Only two weeks to go and so much to do!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->