looking for some hope...

xUniquex

Tandem feeding Mum
Reaction score
ok so long story short...

i'm 22, expecting our second baby,my DS was delivered at 37+1 and i didn't expect any problems carrying this time round.

Always knew i would be high risk for prem labour but felt confident after carrying DS to 37 weeks!

How wrong was i !!

I'm 21 + 4 (not even viable yet) and after a cervical scan on weds i had to have an emergency stitch placed in my cervix...

The consultant and reg who did the stitch said i was very lucky,because i was 1cm dilated and she could quite easily get her finger inside,she said she was suprised my membranes were not bulging through and all we could do now was wait.

Now i know i'm not viable,and i know i've not had baby yet,but every Consultant i have spoken to has said simply that they don't know when i will labour,and that we should 'try' and 'hope' to get to 34 weeks.

Since researching i have discovered that my emergency stitch has a 40-60% chance of getting us to 37 weeks.

I am really struggling with all this,i felt so confident this time round,and i just feel destroyed ..

So i come here to try and prepare myself for a very prem bubs...the other option is unthinkable!!

So what do i expect with a prem?
Sorry for rambling..i'm so lost right now..

:cry::cry:

Hello at 21 weeks I was examined and I was 5cm dilated with membranes bulging. As they couldn't see any cervix they said there was nothing they could do as I would labour within 24 hours. 5 days later I hadn't laboured so a different consultant said he was willing to try pushing the membranes back in and put a stitch in. He told me the risks especially as I was carrying twins. The stitch was a success and I was on complete bedrest however at 25 weeks I got an infection and went into labour. One of my little girls only lived a day and my other wee girl came home in April 2 days before my due date and is doing well.

The 4 weeks I had the stitch it held really well even with twins and kept my cervix closed until they removed it. My journey was full of ups and downs so they suspect something was brewing especially as I had lost my mucas plug which acts as a barrier to the uterus and my membranes were exposed.

Hopefully as they caught you early the risk of infection is smaller.

Feel free to ask me anything and I will try and answer them.

Good luck

dont take it to heart most people dont know what to say. have they told you to rest up. will they give yopu steroid injections for the babies lungs as soon as you become viable. i dont have experience of stitches so dont know but i hope you get to 34 weeks atleast.

i was thinking of 25weeker while reading that! And i met her LO yesterday and omg... shes just amazing!

Rest up right now, and chill out. I have a 27 weeker too and you can read her diary at www.princessalexsdiary.blogspot.com

thanx for your replies!

I think i lost my plug in the few days before they put the stitch in,so not sure how at risk of infection i am.
I am booked in for a scan on wednesday to check the stitch and babies viability so i'm hoping they will explain a little more to me then.

I am just in such shock,have had tightenings last night and feeling sore around the bottom of my bump today ,not sure if this is due to a previous section though :(

so scared they estimated babies weight at 1lb 2oz last weds..which i'm told is a good weight,but i know scans aren't always right

xxx

Hun if you pop over to the twins & multiples section there is a lady there called LizzieDripping who had a 24 weeker & then got to term with her twins after having a cervical stitch & I'm sure that she will be able to give you lots of advice!

thanx for that i will pop over there now!

I had a 27 weeker - if I can help at all with any questions you have about what you could maybe expect, just pm me. We just got Sophie home today after 6 weeks in intensive care, 4 in high dependency and 2 in special care, so it's all very fresh in my mind!

Hi, my daughter was born at 25 weeks at 1lb 3oz. I was given 2 steroid injections to help her lungs develop and my god did they work! she was off the ventilator just 2hrs after being born!

I can't lie it was absolutely terrifying when they told me I was to go to theatre in an hour, just a few hours after the doctor telling me they would't do anything until at least the next day! I was shaking uncontrolably even before the anaesthetic!

Having a prem baby is HARD, no one can prepare you for how you will feel and take the situation. We are 2hrs away from the hospital where Anna is, and having my son who will be 5 in 2 weeks I can't spend as much time as I want with my daughter.
The first few days were the hardest to get through, because no one can tell you which way things are going to go, while I tried to remain hopeful (not trying to scare you!) looking at our tiny tiny girl it was hard not to become terrified that she would simply get too tired to fight or get an infection.
She did get 2 infections, because she was so small and had no immune system but a course of antibiotics helped her get over them very quickly.
Once you are past the first hard few days the weeks seem to drag on a bit (well they did for me) it was (and still is!) so hard just looking at her, feeling hopeless because theres nothing you can do except feed her through a tube.
I had my first cuddle when she was 5 weeks and I have been changing nappies and cleaning her eyes and mouth.
I don't think it gets any easier as she gets older though, I hate not having her home and having to ask permission to do things. I hate not being able to just pick her up when she gets upset.
But I do know she is in the best possible place and that the staff do all they can for her, it will be time to go home in such a short time compared to the rest of her life :)

Hi hun, just answered your call for help over on twins and multiples. Needless to say, I did deliver a 24weeker due to IC, and have just delivered huge twins at 38weeks after having an elective stitch placed. I was carrying 16Ibs of baby, and it can be done. Don't assume you're gonna have a preemie my sweet - it isn't a foregone conclusion :hugs:

I have had 2 prem babies for different reasons (29 weeks and 33 weeks). It is a very scary time for you now and I hope and pray your baby stays put for many months to come :hugs:

Hi my daughter was born on sat at 29+3 weeks she has had a little jaundice and minimal ivh (bleedin on the brain) but its not serious-so fingers crossed it doesent get worst, it is stressful, i go to the hospital from mornin and stay til evenin i find it so hard to leave! Im sure ur ok if u have a great support network, they'll b alot of tears bt u'll have so many proud moments too :) good luck hun! P.S have plenty of bed rest xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->