Losing so much weight!

newlywedtzh

A Mom At Last!
Reaction score
I know that this is something a woman should never complain about but bare with me. I was always naturally thin and petite.. usually 118lbs at 5'4". gained 38lbs during pregnancy... lost it pretty quickly. I had a crazy appetite during pregnancy but since she's been born it's been non -existent. But trust me- I eat!!! I had to go dairy free bc of a cows milk protein intolerance and I think that made me lose a lot of weight and fast but now I KEEP losing weight. I keep getting comments about how thin I look.. and not in a good way. Any tips on how to keep on weight while nursing? I just don't want my milk supply to be affected and I don't want to look like skeletor!

I had the same experience and the only thing that helped was to constantly eat what seemed like ridiculous amounts of food. I relied on milkshakes, which I know won't help you with the dairy situation . peanut butter toast and protein bars were other convenient options.

I was slim but not skinny before pregnancy, but only gained about 11 lbs due to hyperemesis. The last thing I wanted to hear when ds was 1 month old was how 'lucky' I was to have lost so much weight. I looked sick and it was impacting my milk supply. Lots of calories and lots of protein helped, but I had to make a conscious effort to eat more than I wanted.

High fat foods, big meals and snacks. Granola, nuts, avocados, pasta, meat, etc and liquid calories.

If you continue to lose weight, despite having a nutrient rich diet I would speak to your doctor. You could have another underlying condition (like a thyroid problem). Good luck, hope you get it sorted!

thanks busy but i think it's just my metabolism. Ive always been rail thin- I was teased so much bc of it! I think it's just the extra calories that nursing takes plus the busy lifestyle of being a working mom! Thanks for all the tips.. I am eating almonds as we speak

I agree with adding in avocado, nuts, seeds and EVOO to your diet. Make smoothies and load them with greens (try spinach, you literally can't taste it) and protein powder. Nut butters on rice cakes and apples, etc.

I was the same. Went down to 105 lb (I'm 5ft 2) and you could see my ribs below my collar bone. No one else thought I was too skinny, because I'm so short but I didn't like that my clothes didn't fit! It was all temporary though.

Weight stabilised when LO was about 10months old. Stayed there till LO dropped her morning feed at 18months (so she just had pick up from nursery feed and before bed feed) and then slowly started to creep back. By the time she self weaned at 27months I was back at 120lb.

Breastfeeding is an efficient system that allows even women who struggle to eat much at all (poorer countries, refugee camps etc.) to continue to produce milk. Yes some people find diet impacts milk supply more than others, especially if you feel hungry and that stresses you out, but it is by no means a definite that it will have any impact on your milk supply.

I am also losing weight constantly while BFing and about 10-12 lb underweight now. I still eat healthy meals and snacks, but I see it as a good excuse to add ice cream, chocolate bars, cookies and other treats to my diet with no guilt. ;) buahaha. But, as I said, I still make sure I get lots of veggies, fruits, healthy grains and protein! Maybe try adding something high in calories like hemp hearts to your breakfasts, having more snacks and allowing yourself to indulge in more treats! ;) And make sure you're getting enough protein!

Thanks for the info noon_child- that's good to know about milk supply!
That's what I've been doing- indulging haha within reason. It just feels so strange to try and eat "bad" things on purpose.

I think another reason I am losing weight is I am ALWAYS so thirsty ever since I started nursing- so I'm constantly drinking iced tea, juices- I drank so much water during pregnancy that I honestly have an aversion to it now lol but yeah, i feel like my belly is constantly full from liquids. Is anyone else suffering from constant thirst?

I'm a bit jealous because I have the exact oppisit position... I am eating really welll with lots of exercise and it seems nearly impossible to lose the weight.. I know it must be upsetting to be in your position though. hopefully you find what works well for you!

Hannahboo im assuming youre nursing? I've read that some bodies hang on to the fat reserve built during pregnancy in order to continue to nurse. Not sure how true that is tho. But I have one friend who gained more now that she's nursing compared to when she was pregnant! She said her appetite is just insane. She also eats healthy, etc. Trust your body it might be hanging on to the reserve for a reason:)

I was losing masses of weight and turns out I have an under active thyroid but it was causing weight loss instead of the expected weight gain. Worth being tested as it has lots of other side effects like tiredness, poor hair and nails, constipation. My weight stabilised once they worked out the thyroxine dose I needed and now that I'm down to one feed a day the weight is sadly going back on!

I know that this is something a woman should never complain about but bare with me. I was always naturally thin and petite.. usually 118lbs at 5'4". gained 38lbs during pregnancy... lost it pretty quickly. I had a crazy appetite during pregnancy but since she's been born it's been non -existent. But trust me- I eat!!! I had to go dairy free bc of a cows milk protein intolerance and I think that made me lose a lot of weight and fast but now I KEEP losing weight. I keep getting comments about how thin I look.. and not in a good way. Any tips on how to keep on weight while nursing? I just don't want my milk supply to be affected and I don't want to look like skeletor!

Going dairy free does that for me too, I'm also getting too thin just by looking after my boys, not even breastfeeding!

Thanks kani. I had my thyroid tested a lot when I was going through recurrent miscarriages and it always came back normal. Can this change after pregnany?

I'm thinking its the dairy free diet. I'm basically eating like a vegan plus meat. It's a huge fat source I cut out just have to do better with "replacing" it. I think I'm going to challenge the sensitivity soon though

Yes - pregnancy can cause thyroid problems. The body starts to attack the immune system. I was told my thyroid could correct myself within 2 years, or it could be permanent. Definitely worth being retested.

I gained only 7 lbs during pregnancy (baby was 7lbs 5 oz) due to lack of appetite, nausea, aversions. I'm ebf & 1 week pp I weighed 10lbs less than I did before I was pregnant which was admittedly kind of startling. I'm 3 weeks pp and still losing weight despite the return of my appetite. I do wonder how much was muscle though since I had to stop working out halfway through my pregnancy. Could that be a possibility for you? I agree that talking to your doc to rule out any conditions is a good idea. I Was never rail thin so I'm not as worried but i do hope it levels out. I want my booty back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->