Losing supply and have tried EVERYTHING :(

Kimber

Reaction score
My baby is almost 1, so losing supply wouldn't be TOO horrible, but I just had a goal to longer than this.

She goes to a sitter 3 days a week while I work teaching preschool. She started this when she was about 3 months old, and I had great success pumping so she was able to remain exclusively breast fed. Then we had summer vacation together and since school has started back up I'm having a hard time pumping enough for her to have at the sitter. I know supply is naturally lower since she eats foods now also, but I know that when she's with me at the breast, she is definitely getting plenty of milk and much more than I am able to pump. We're talking 1 oz total from a pumping session on my lunch when I've been away from her for 4 hours. My opinion is that my body wasn't responding to the pump the same anymore, therefore not getting enough milk, and thus decreasing supply.

I've tried what I think is EVERYTHING. Increased pumping sessions, nursing frequently on the days we are together and in the evenings, increased water intake, milk maker cookies (because I just CAN'T do the tea), eating foods that are supposed to help increase supply. I'm still able to take some milk to the sitter, but it was only one 5 oz bottle yesterday, as now my freezer stash is gone. So this last week she has taken some formula bottles there too. I'm pretty much ok with it, since she is older and because when we are together, we can still nurse successfully. I'm just afraid that soon the supply will fall off the deep end and nursing will be done all together. :nope::cry:

Hmm that is tricky.

Can you pump from the other boob while nursing? Might gain you a few extra ounces per day?

Is it a manual pump? I get much more from my electric one.

Hope you figure if out but most importantly well done for BFing for so long!!!

Hmm that is tricky.

Can you pump from the other boob while nursing? Might gain you a few extra ounces per day?

Is it a manual pump? I get much more from my electric one.

Hope you figure if out but most importantly well done for BFing for so long!!!

I actually do that and it does help, you're right. I do it in the morning when she eats (after pumping before she wakes up) and when I feed her after coming home from the sitter. I have a medela double electric pump that, up until now, as worked great for me. I have switched out all the parts too. Someone here suggested it was a let down problem, so I've tried all the tricks to help with let down and....still nada!!!

And thanks, we have done well so far. :)

I pumped the other day and I hadn't pumped for a couple months before that and I couldn't believe I got less than 2 ounces from both sides and I felt full. My son just turned 1 a few weeks ago. I am not sure what causes this, I thought it was me because I do struggle with low supply.

I am not sure if it will help, but I take moringa for supply. The It's Moringa from iHerb.com seems to work the best.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. I know that even though my baby is a year I would be very sad if I lost my supply. I still have issues and people think just because he is a year I should just give in, but I don't agree with them. I will cross my fingers for you that it will get better.

I pumped the other day and I hadn't pumped for a couple months before that and I couldn't believe I got less than 2 ounces from both sides and I felt full. My son just turned 1 a few weeks ago. I am not sure what causes this, I thought it was me because I do struggle with low supply.

I am not sure if it will help, but I take moringa for supply. The It's Moringa from iHerb.com seems to work the best.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. I know that even though my baby is a year I would be very sad if I lost my supply. I still have issues and people think just because he is a year I should just give in, but I don't agree with them. I will cross my fingers for you that it will get better.

Thanks for the tip...I'll look into moringa. Never heard of it! I'll cross fingers for you too! I'm with ya--people seem to think we should just quit, but we aren't ready.

At 1yr my LO went to nursery 3 x a week so only got a 6am, 4:30pm (when I collected her) and before bed feed on those days. We continued to bf with no supply issues until 27months! I didn't pump at all.

At 1yr my LO went to nursery 3 x a week so only got a 6am, 4:30pm (when I collected her) and before bed feed on those days. We continued to bf with no supply issues until 27months! I didn't pump at all.

Thanks! That's encouraging! I would be happy with maintaining those occasional feeds, as we are doing now (as obviously she is eating lots of foods as she approaches 1 year). I was just afraid we'd lose those too. Thanks!

How long are you away from her during the day? Do you think you could try to encourage her to drink water and eat solids instead of having milk when you're apart? I know it's quite common for older babies to not have any milk during the day when mum is working and then just make up for lost time in the evenings and weekends. If she wasn't having other milk, she might nurse enough at other times to maintain your supply nicely.

How long are you away from her during the day? Do you think you could try to encourage her to drink water and eat solids instead of having milk when you're apart? I know it's quite common for older babies to not have any milk during the day when mum is working and then just make up for lost time in the evenings and weekends. If she wasn't having other milk, she might nurse enough at other times to maintain your supply nicely.

We're apart 7 hours. Her sitter is really good about feeding her foods and some juice/water mix. She WILL NOT drink straight water. But at nap time she likes to have a bottle before laying down. She drinks usually 2 bottles while there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->