loving baby led weaning......

pcsoph2890

Reaction score
My daughter has just turned 8 months.
We have been offering food to her to gum and get the feel of since she was about 5 months.

She loves her food. Hums or makes lots of noise the more she likes her food.

It has been an amazing thing to watch her "eat" the food I offer her - how much she devours each food and which items clearly are not her favourites (usually the food that I have spent hours preparing and cooking with love such as slow cooked beef stew)

Fruit is a favourite, and try her with all sorts. Pasta is shovelled in by the fistfull. The other day us three Sat down and we all had a Sunday roast together - no mushing, puree'ing just plunked down on her tray for her to try and eat....

I cannot recommend it strongly enough - it's brilliant and makes so much sense. You get a bit "oh" at times when clearly she has shoved in too much and gags, but she coughs it out and carries on with no hesitation.

Yes there is a lot of mess, yes the more love and care you put into the food just goes over the side of the highchair, yes there is a lot of wastage. But the joy of watching her feed herself is just amazing!!!

I'm doing BLW with my 7mo (albeit a gentle version because he hasn't properly mastered chewing yet and ends up with lumps of food sat on his tongue for aaaagggges while he merrily plays in the chair!). It's really fun though and I get excited every time I make something new for him to try. He's not eating much yet but watching him taste and play with a home made lasagne was fab.

Have you seen the blwideas feed on Instagram? It's really good for getting meal ideas...

I love it too we did traditional weaning with my eldest, he refused to eat lumps and was eating purées way past a year old. Obviously they're two different personalities but we did blw with my youngest and he's an absolutely brilliant eater. He is like a dustbin, you put it on his tray and away it goes

I love BLW too. I did it with my first and he's a fantastic eater, he'll try anything. I've just started DS2 on some simple bits to explore and it's all come back to me how great it is. I just love the no stress mind set of if he eats it, he eats it, if he doesn't, he doesn't. I can't imagine how hard it must be working out how much to give, stressing about how much is eaten etc.

Hey ladies. Can you give me some tips? I'm a FTM and although I have some experience with weaning it was the traditional puréed food method. Also any recipe suggestions?

My hubby is a really fussy eater himself so we really eat traditional meat and 2 veg dinners. I obviously don't want to be feeding my child jalfrezi n poppadoms. Lol.

Thanks

Same here its brilliant... EXCEPT the cleaning up after every meal... looking at her, and the floor, and thinking.. where do i begin???????

Goods, my baby had poppadoms today.. and rice and strips of the chicken but with the curry scraped off. It was tikka masala though :)

I'm in love with BLW too. At first I couldn't get past the fear of him choking but we both made it through and like a lightbulb going in I haven't seen him gag in ages. It was worth it allllll the way :thumbup:

Meal times are so much fun. I love laying food down and seeing how he makes his choices, how he carefully tastes each food, how he'll open his mouth and eject something if he thinks he sees something better. He's adorable, it's so easy except for the cleanup :winkwink:

I don't know about any one else's baby but this guy EATS! I can't believe how much food he eats. The high chair is his happy place. I feel like I could conquer all of motherhood with a woven wrap and a high chair right now :haha:

Found many good reasons to go down this path apart from my ocd lol hubbie is hard to clean after but blw omg. But good took over and thinking about day 3. Potatoes and leek soup I can't wait for the mess. Seeing her being independent with food and eat what I don't. I love it and can't wait for next meal.

i sooooo wish i had the guts to.
due to reflux i weaned early, so it wasn't an option, then the odd time i offered finger foods he coked, so i haven't done it since and still dont dare, he has baby wotsits (carrot sticks) but i just cant bring my self to give him a bit of broccoli or a carrot stick. i guess seeing your baby go blue in the face then throw up all over due to choking scared you enough.
i wish someone would give me a slap and show me how its done, that he can do it then id be fine with it

There is a mama thing you can put food into so lumps don't break in month. My little one started to choke with foid plus mucus from cold. I stopped but started again. stick to things like toast. Stick of steamed pepper etc. She had large bit of chicken go in her mouth. I pulled it out. Next time it happened I was ready but watched closely. She spat it out. She had great motor skills with it. I love see her excitement with some foods likeocheese and plums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->