Low blood pressure

redlemonade

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone else dealing with low BP? Mine was only 94/55 or something today - totally explains the dizziness, palpitations and possibly the headaches recently. The midwife isn't overly concerned, especially as my baseline bp tends to be on the low side anyway. I do wonder how low it can get though because when they checked my bp I felt fine, but there are days I feel it's very low.

She recommended salt to help bring it up? I thought that was a little odd for a healthcare professional to recommend increasing salt intake but I have been craving salt lately and I'm ok with it! That explains why I craved (and devoured) so many salt and vinegar Pringles last night!

I hope it normalises a little because the palpitations are horrid :( Anyone else feeling the same? What are you doing to raise your bp?

I had low bp in my last pregnancy... Not so much this time but i remember feeling exhausted! Some days i thought my heart might stop lol. Salt does sound like the answer.. Keep tabs on iron too maybe? Pretty sure low bp is totally normal for first tri :) hope you feel better soon, palpitations suck!! Xx

I have had hypotension for years while not preggo and in all of my pregnancies except this one (I was surprised when my blood pressure was recorded at 104/60). I know what you mean about feeling faint and freaky palpitations. I too was advised to up my sodium intake (I sprinkle garlic sea salt [as unprocessed as I could find at a local organic store for the additional nutrients]) on anything that sounds yummy (sliced avocado, garden tomatoes, eggs, potatoes etc).

No one has ever seemed overtly concerned, some Docs have said it is a good thing (obviously they have never stood up every morning, however carefully, and almost blacked out each time lol) although when I gave birth to my youngest it dropped really low and I had to stay an extra night in the hospital (I do not recall what they gave me, I was mostly out of it).

Most of my normal lifestyle consists of things that lower blood pressure but I have never wanted to omit anything since I find such otherwise healthy :/... (even the naughtier things if not moderated, like red wine and dark chocolate :cloud9:)... so I have only really leaned on sodium.

hahahaha... hi pregnancy twin! Guess who has low BP? Yup.
I am always at the low side and my midwife is not concerned about it at all. I had dizziness as well and docs have always recommended salt, so I knew from the start that I can enjoy it as much as I want. A friend of mine freaked out when she saw how much salt I add on my plate, as she thought all pregnant women have issues with high blood pressure and water retention. Well, not all of us do.

The only thing I do is that I am super careful when I get up to pee at night, as I am super dizzy then. Other than that, salty stuff and good hydration have done the trick for me.

I'm with Onyxsnowfall, I've had hypotension for years as well. Was also told to add salt to my diet, which I did add some to it. It helped!

Hi. I just had my first low BP reading last week. It was low enough that when the nurse told me the numbers I actually said "whoa." I think it was 90/54 which is slightly lower than my usual 110/60. She tried to reassure me by saying it was early in the morning and that was probably why. I didn't tell her that 8am is actually the end of my day. It does explain the increased light-headedness and return of the heart palps. I will try adding more salt. Had no idea that's supposed to help.

I had low bp in my last pregnancy... Not so much this time but i remember feeling exhausted! Some days i thought my heart might stop lol. Salt does sound like the answer.. Keep tabs on iron too maybe? Pretty sure low bp is totally normal for first tri :) hope you feel better soon, palpitations suck!! Xx

Yes, I have thought my heart might stop some days too! Very scary! They took some bloods to check iron and b12 and I fully expect to have depleted levels actually. I'm getting some iron in pregnacare but I may need more. I'm glad your bp isn't too low this time around!

I have had hypotension for years while not preggo and in all of my pregnancies except this one (I was surprised when my blood pressure was recorded at 104/60). I know what you mean about feeling faint and freaky palpitations. I too was advised to up my sodium intake (I sprinkle garlic sea salt [as unprocessed as I could find at a local organic store for the additional nutrients]) on anything that sounds yummy (sliced avocado, garden tomatoes, eggs, potatoes etc).

No one has ever seemed overtly concerned, some Docs have said it is a good thing (obviously they have never stood up every morning, however carefully, and almost blacked out each time lol) although when I gave birth to my youngest it dropped really low and I had to stay an extra night in the hospital (I do not recall what they gave me, I was mostly out of it).

Most of my normal lifestyle consists of things that lower blood pressure but I have never wanted to omit anything since I find such otherwise healthy :/... (even the naughtier things if not moderated, like red wine and dark chocolate :cloud9:)... so I have only really leaned on sodium.

Yeah they said its better to have low bp than high bp, but I agree, it's scary getting out of bed sometimes!

That must have been a scary experience after you gave birth! My friend warned me that after the birth I'd need to be careful too if my bp is still low. I'm so used to low bp that it's almost normal but it's still not nice.

Glad to hear your bp isn't too low this time, hope it stays like that! I'm totally getting myself some garlic sea salt, that sounds yum, thanks! :)

hahahaha... hi pregnancy twin! Guess who has low BP? Yup.
I am always at the low side and my midwife is not concerned about it at all. I had dizziness as well and docs have always recommended salt, so I knew from the start that I can enjoy it as much as I want. A friend of mine freaked out when she saw how much salt I add on my plate, as she thought all pregnant women have issues with high blood pressure and water retention. Well, not all of us do.

The only thing I do is that I am super careful when I get up to pee at night, as I am super dizzy then. Other than that, salty stuff and good hydration have done the trick for me.

Oh haiiii pregnancy twin! Ok well now you're just totally copying me ;)

Yeah my midwife isn't overly concerned at all, she just noted it was a bit low. At least I like salt!!

Oh me too, getting up at night is the worst; I've had total head spins and seeing spots-not nice! We need to get up very slowly I think!

I'm with Onyxsnowfall, I've had hypotension for years as well. Was also told to add salt to my diet, which I did add some to it. It helped!

I'm glad it helped you! Good thing I like salt eh? ;)

Hi. I just had my first low BP reading last week. It was low enough that when the nurse told me the numbers I actually said "whoa." I think it was 90/54 which is slightly lower than my usual 110/60. She tried to reassure me by saying it was early in the morning and that was probably why. I didn't tell her that 8am is actually the end of my day. It does explain the increased light-headedness and return of the heart palps. I will try adding more salt. Had no idea that's supposed to help.

Yeah I'm finding that since I increased salt, I'm already feeling better! My reading was early in the morning as well but it's funny because I felt fine so I wonder how low it goes when I'm not feeling so good! I hope increasing salt works for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->