Low/Borderline B12 ?

zilla

Reaction score
Had a call from my doctors this morning saying that my levels of B12 are low/borderline and to carry on with folic acid.

But it's the receptionists that give out the blood test results, not the GP - so they can never offer any explanation about what it actually is or what it means.

What does low/borderline B12 mean & is it bad? Has anyone else got/had it?

B12 is folic acid, which is important to neural tube development, especially in the 1st tri. At this point, even if it's a bit low, u should be ok. I honestly don't recall ever having it tested. If ur concerned, just call back, ask what the levels are exactly, and if it could be a problem

I have chronic low B12 caused by my thyroid disease.. As PP said its most important in first tri to make sure you have plenty. I take twice monthly injections for mine as my body does not absorb it as it should from food and vitamins.
Call your Dr if you are concerned but I don't see any reason anything should be wrong. GL!

B12 isn't folic acid, it's folate. Its linked to iron and folic acid, but they're different things and taking your folic acid supplements, as all pregnant women are advised to during the first 13 weeks, will not have any effect on your B12 levels.

B12 is to do with your red blood cells, a deficiency can cause tiredness, forgetfulness, generally similar symptoms to anaemia. I am generally low on B12 as I am a vegetarian and like iron it's mostly found in red meat etc. Mine is stupidly low this pregnancy so I'm on tablets until I get a re-test 6 weeks post partum when I expect it'll be back up to an acceptable level as I won't have a baby leeching what few nutrients I have ;)

You can take a pregnancy multivitamin or get b12 supplements otc but your GP should prescribe you tablets or the injection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->