Low fetal heart rate, small size, 8 weeks?

Calcifer

Reaction score
Hi has anyone else gone through similar? I went in for what I thought was my 8 week scan but unfortunately what was on screen was a failed twin pregnancy: one empty sac and one struggling foetus measuring behind (around 6weeks) and with a slow heart rate of 75bpm.

I don't have any signs of miscarriage just yet so have been told to wait a week to see if the surviving baby's heart rate picks up. But I've been given just a 10% chance of that happening and it's likely that next week the heart beat will have stopped.

I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had that. How long can I 'expect' the heart to keep beating? Or has anyone had a foetus that just 'catches up'? I think my worst case scenario would be a surviving slow growth foetus with chromosome issues.

Thanks for your help!!

Bump? Surely somebody else has experienced this? :shrug:

I had pretty much the exact same experience, but it wasn't a twin pregnancy. I should have been nearly 9 weeks pregnant, but baby was measuring 2 weeks behind with a ok-ish heart rate. The sonographer was concerned but said she'd seen it happen a lot and baby caught up. Unfortunately for us, I suffered a massive bleed at nearly 12 weeks, so had to go back for a scan to find that our baby had grown their wings not long after our first scan. This was our second back-to-back MMC, and I also had an ectopic in 2012. :(

I'm sorry that this wasn't the positive reply that you were probably looking for, but don't give up hope! <3

Sorry, I had this too, although a couple of weeks later (singleton). But I started bleeding two days later.
Luckily I became pregnant again before I had another period, it really helped ease the pain.
Good luck to you, and I'm sorry if it's turned out for the worst.

I also went through this. At weeks baby's heart rate was 72. Baby was measuring 1 week smaller than expected. A week later, I started spotting. Ultrasound showed no heartbeat. I opted for natural miscarriage and miscarried 5 days later. I hope that this is not the case for you as I would not wish that loss on anyone, ever. It took 10 months to get pregnant again. I am now 31 weeks pregnant. It does not hurt any less.

Best of luck to you!

I'm sorry you are going through this worry . Hope all works out for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"