Low-Lying Placenta

Incubator

Reaction score
I've just had my 20-week ultrasound (actually at 21+2 weeks), and everything was, thankfully, normal. One thing though, the sonographer said that my placenta was covering my cervix, and I would have to come back for a 36 week ultrasound to check that it had moved up and out of the way.

The doctor said that there was no risk to the baby or anything, but it might result in a caesarian, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Has anyone else had a low-lying placenta, and can tell me what happened?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

i havent personally had a low lying placenta but my friend did and it can cause some heavy bleeding, if labour happens before 36 weeks you should go immediatly to hospital as it is dangerous and best to get it checked just incase the placent hasnt risen up, im sure it will it does in alot of cases and you are only 21 weeks so your uterus has much growing and stretching to do. good luck

i had one with callum and by my 32wk scan it had moved. Its actually really commen and most of the time they move before you have your next scan.

I just posted something very similar the other day hun .
Mine covering the cervix too , I was confused and unsure how i felt .
Iam back next week because they couldnt see baby well .
But if it hasnt moved will have to go back around 34 weeks to have a scan , Wich if it hasnt moved will result in a c section at 38 weeks to prevent me going in to labour naturally .
Iam nervous but thinking as long as baby is ok , Then c section doesnt sound to bad .
But sooo many people have told me its likely to move hun in the comming weeks , So fingers crossed for us both. xxxx .

My placenta was about 2cm away from my cervix but was basically covering it completely. We've got a MW appointment tomorrow so I'm going to quiz her all about it.

Good luck with your scan - I hope they're able to see the baby more clearly.
x

i jus replyed in c section post. I hope it moves up for you hun. xx

Look up placenta previa. I was on strict bed rest for mine with my second daughter.

I saw the MW yesterday and she told me not to worry too much. Because my daughter was born at 36 weeks they are going to scan me at 35 and if the placenta still hasn't moved they'll probably want to get this baby out at about 37 weeks.

She said that a low-lying placenta is pretty common and that most do move. I'm feeling much more positive about it all now and very reassured that the baby isn't being harmed by it.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice.

x

I'm in the same boat hun. I've been having some bleeding this week, and have been told that the reason for it is a low lying placenta.

I had a section planned at 39 weeks anyway, so not much has changed, except they may bring it forward to 36 weeks.

But, as the others have said, there's still a very good chance that it can move up.:hugs:

I have a low lying placenta and havent suffered with any problems throughout my pregnancy so dont panic. Yes it can cause problems but not for everyone.

The majority of them shift out of the way later in in pregnancy hence another scan. I have mine on wednesday to see what the outcome is.

Its actually a heck of a lot more common than you think!!

Good luck for you appointment on Wednesday. Hope everything goes as you want it to.
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->