Low placenta

lanet

pregnant after lttc
Reaction score
I had bleeding at 15 weeks and was told I had a low lying placenta. I was told not to worry, that it would most likely move by 20 weeks.
At 20 weeks I was told it was nice and high, no worries, and at every scan since theyve said again, it's not low at all.
Suddenly yesterday at perinatologist he said I needed a vaginal ultrasound because I hadn't been cleared of low placenta yet, and that yes, it was low!! What the heck!
Ob says its 1.6 cm away and that anything over 1 is ok for vaginal delivery. However online it seems most places want it over 2cm away.
I don't want to take any uneccesary risks. Any thoughts or experience?

I know my midwives weren't ok with mine under 2cm away from the cervix. Maybe it'll still creep up a little? I'd question the OB about why he's ok with something that nobody else is, maybe he'll have a reassuring answer.

I doubt its just the Ob, it sounds like some hospitals are ok with it and some arent, like different guidelines, so I'm sure it's all the obs in my network. But I will definitely talk to her more about it when I see her monday.
I hope it does creep up a little but I really don't have much time!
Is yours farther than 2 now? I'd feel better if mine was.

Mine was low at 20 weeks and moved up out of the way by 28 weeks, but it's anterior, so I guess they're more likely to move. I hope yours keeps moving up.

Well like I said mine had moved too, until they checked with a vaginal ultrasound. I'm so confused and even my ob was shocked.
The placenta on this baby is also anterior

Interesting. I know it can make a difference whether your bladder is full (my midwife gave me full and empty bladder measurements with almost a cm difference after my 20 week), maybe that's a factor?

I just checked my records, it was roughly 1.5 cm with an empty bladder, and 2.5 with a full bladder at 20 weeks, and that was still classed as too close for vaginal birth.

Was it a vaginal ultrasound? All my other ones were abdominal and thats when it appeared to be nice and high, moved away from the cervix. I've probably had at least 20 abdominal ones

Nope, just abdominal. My only vaginal was at 9 or 10 weeks.

Well they told me that it can look high in abdominal but vaginal is the only way to confirm it. That was surprising to me. If I weren't high risk I would've never been back to the Peri and never would've known and I wonder how often that happens.

So maybe 1.6 cm on vaginal is different than on abdominal. Hmmm

Sounds like a good question to ask. I'm curious to hear the answer. I'm guessing mine was far enough out of the way to remove any doubt, based on how I'm feeling movement. Maybe they'd have done a transvaginal if I was more borderline.

Yeah idk, with 2 babies in here there's just not a lot of room for placentas. Lol.
I'll find out more on Monday.

I also had a low lying placenta diagnosed at 20 week scan it was 1.1cm from cervix. I had my rescan last week and placenta is now 5cm away from cervix. Both these scans were trans abdominal.

From what I read vaginal is substantially more accurate. My abdominal showed that mine was far away too.

I always have placenta problems with every pregnancy. I had a low lying placenta but it did raise.

When did yours raise and did you have vaginal delivery? I only have 3-5 weeks!

When did yours raise and did you have vaginal delivery? I only have 3-5 weeks!

I had a c-section but not due to that at 36 and found out around 20wks.

I just remember i was relieved that was my only problem with the placenta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->